Something about T/C Contenders I did not know.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not sure everyone here understands the dry fire feature on Gen 1 Contenders.

Sorry if that sounded snarky.

The dry fire disconnects the sear, which is what they did. If you then pull the hammer back, it will not stay cocked because you disconnected the sear, and will rebound forward into the firing pin, which is what they did. After dry firing, you must open and close the action to reset the trigger, which they did not do.

Since neither one in the video mentioned dry fire, it appears they know nothing about it, or the proper operation of this gun. It bothers me that they declared it unsafe without mention of sending it to competent gunsmith or back to TC.

I think this was addressed by TC in later models, because handgun hunters that pulled the hammer back but didn't fire the shot had to let the hammer down and open the gun to reset everything. You can safely do this by engaging the hammer safety at any time.

If this was a 44 mag Hotshot barrel (which it appears to be) they shouldn't have had the Hotshot muzzle attachment on it with regular ammo. The shredder on the attachment is designed to ONLY be used with Hotshot birdshot ammo. Otherwise, you risk blowing the end off the barrel. Read the manual.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    I like Matt’s videos but he and Lunkers are a dangerous combo. They destroyed a very nice AK clone because it wouldn’t function worth a damn. But it was one of the ones modified for single stack magazines, and they were using regular mags. The bolts on the single stack ones were modified, and all it needed was a new bolt. I suspect Hawkeye is right about the T/C.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Thanks Hawkeye for explaining this, I have owned a few contenders many years ago and never knew this feature existed. I also never had a accidental fire like they had either.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Sorry if that sounded snarky.

The dry fire disconnects the sear, which is what they did. If you then pull the hammer back, it will not stay cocked because you disconnected the sear, and will rebound forward into the firing pin, which is what they did. After dry firing, you must open and close the action to reset the trigger, which they did not do.

Since neither one in the video mentioned dry fire, it appears they know nothing about it, or the proper operation of this gun. It bothers me that they declared it unsafe without mention of sending it to competent gunsmith or back to TC.

I think this was addressed by TC in later models, because handgun hunters that pulled the hammer back but didn't fire the shot had to let the hammer down and open the gun to reset everything. You can safely do this by engaging the hammer safety at any time.

If this was a 44 mag Hotshot barrel (which it appears to be) they shouldn't have had the Hotshot muzzle attachment on it with regular ammo. The shredder on the attachment is designed to ONLY be used with Hotshot birdshot ammo. Otherwise, you risk blowing the end off the barrel. Read the manual.

Yep. I like his channel but they needed to do a little reading and/or google-foo before posting that video (and shooting the gun).

I have a Gen 1 and it works exactly how you describe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Guys in the vid are marketing to a different crowd. Likely a crowd not old enough to comprehend that this firearm has been sold for over 50 years.

Just look at the commentary on YouTube. No one has a clue that the issue is anything but what these guys say it is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did catch the Super 14 forend on the Hotshot bbl w choke.
    WTF
    Might explain his shooting in the air LOL

I've had over a half dozen Contenders and never tried what they did.
    Cock the hammer, then pull the trigger.
    If the hammer doesn't lock back you ease it down and reset by opening action (or just squeezing trigger guard).

Never have tried to "slip fire" one.

I suppose one could engage the safety and then cock the gun. Think all but the earliest had some sort of safety on the hammer (orig had none so I've read).

Oh well, I'd put this video right up there with the Tide Pod eaters.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom