• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My son threw his backpack down and neglected to remember that my iPad was in it. Yeah, the screen is totally shattered! :xmad: I took $200 from him and told him he has to work off $100. I sent him out to cut the grass and he ran over a rock with the mower. Yep, right through the family room window! :xmad::xmad: He's done for the day AND I'm charging him $50 for the window! :laugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I object.

Isn't it true that YOU in fact trained him to cut the grass? Isn't it true that INGO contains video evidence of you cheering him on as you trained him to cut the grass? Isn't it true that you ordered him to cut said grass?

Look, here' the deal, this is bad for you. I'll take one weekend being grounded for the $250 back and a new mini-iPad.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I object.

Isn't it true that YOU in fact trained him to cut the grass? Isn't it true that INGO contains video evidence of you cheering him on as you trained him to cut the grass? Isn't it true that you ordered him to cut said grass?

Look, here' the deal, this is bad for you. I'll take one weekend being grounded for the $250 back and a new mini-iPad.

Lawyer mode just kicked in... :):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yup. The rock is on you. You are the owner. He could sue you for unsafe working conditions.

As to the iPad, you didn't have insurance? Then that oughta be on you too.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    My son threw his backpack down and neglected to remember that my iPad was in it. Yeah, the screen is totally shattered! :xmad: I took $200 from him and told him he has to work off $100. I sent him out to cut the grass and he ran over a rock with the mower. Yep, right through the family room window! :xmad::xmad: He's done for the day AND I'm charging him $50 for the window! :laugh:
    Send him over to help Kirk out!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I object.

Overruled. This is probative of malice by the boy given what happened just before he was sent out to mow. Make your argument to the jury. You think it was negligence brought on by poor training, I'll argue it was intentional as retaliation for taking the $200.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is evidence of malice by the boy given what happened just before he was sent out to mow.

How can you call a pure accident malice? He planned to break his iPad? The iPad that he built with his own hands?

Only in the Yale faculty lounge do they call an accident malice.

I made a fair offer, I should expect it to be given due consideration.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    This last winter I bought a new snow thrower. Call my son up ask him to hit the driveway. Son says sure dad, no problem. Well I had forgotten about the dog leash attached to the flag pole buried in the snow. Thrower hit that leash and ripped the thrower right out of his hands and up against the pole. Wrapped around the auger. Was able to cut the leash which is on with the plastic around the thin metal. Luckily no harm no foul, was able to cut the leash from around the auger. Started up right away, whew!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, the kid needs to learn to be careful with electronics (and stuff in general), and to keep an eye out while cutting the grass.

Sucks he had two lessons in one day though.
    My youngest brother hit a pipe in the ground, trashed the blade. I bought a blade.
    Years later, youngest brother borrowed the mower, hit the same pipe. This time a rod broke, went thru the casing. I lost my 20 year old mower.
    Now, I don't loan him stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. The rock is on you. You are the owner. He could sue you for unsafe working conditions.

As to the iPad, you didn't have insurance? Then that oughta be on you too.

Nope........it was in his pack. He should not be throwing the pack down no matter what.

Now the rock...............I am on the fence. I hit a rock a few years ago and took the back window out of my Navigator. Ever buy one of those............No one I could blame that one on.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    IMHO, the pad is on him.

As far as the window goes, you have to be cautious what you're mowing over but sometimes s**t happens.

:twocents:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Since I'm defending the son, I googled iPad breakage data. 10% of the screens crack within the first year. 20% within two years. Replacement screens are expensive unless you have the Apple Protection Plan, then screen replacement is $49.

The kid isn't responsible if his father is too "thrifty" (another word for chea...uh, frugal) to buy the APP. But, if he was a normal father with a son in his undeveloped brain years, then he should, as a reasonable father, buy the plan. Therefore the son is only responsible for the $49 he would have had to pay for replacement under the APP.

The rock....well, it could have been put into the grass by the father the last time he stubbed his toe and threw it. Or maybe he threw it at a raccoon. Or perhaps he shoveled it there clearing snow. But, the father is responsible for the house, and the grass and the lawnmower. The kid should get a full pass on this one.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Had the iPad been carried by hand rather than in a backpack, I would argue the blame lies with Apple. Why do they design their products to replicate the feeling of trying to hold a wet bar of soap?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There's an old adage that things happen in threes. I would closely monitor him for a while, that old third time is a charm could be a housefire!

Good luck Que, you are going to need it!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom