somewhat local source for military generators?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    UPDATE! somewhat local source for military generators?

Well, I'm on about power outage number 5 or 6 in the 7 months I've lived in my new house. I put a 400 amp manual transfer switch when I wired the house. I'm wanting a diesel genset and it looks like a used military generator is going to be the best value. IE, can be had on a trailer and will have a fuel tank already on it.

Does anyone know of a place that sells used military generators somewhere in Indiana or close by?

Last edited:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Here's one I can think of right now. 400 amps is going to be quite a bit. Are you planning on that much or a smaller value to handle the outages comfortably?

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It is worth the drive to Oshkosh to see what they've got.

I used to stop there every month when I was travelling to Green Bay just to see what they had.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm wanting something around 10-15kw. I put in the 400 amp transfer switch as the 400/400 switch was about the same price as the 400/200 switch.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I bought a 14KW Generac and hooked it to a 1K propane tank. Runs most everything I need.:)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I bought a 14KW Generac and hooked it to a 1K propane tank. Runs most everything I need.:)

I don't want a propane tank. My house is in a woods and don't want a tree on top of it. I already have a diesel tractor and will get a fuel tank from my local coop so I'll have fuel. I've got a line on a pto generator real cheap but I want a stand alone diesel for long term.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't want a propane tank. My house is in a woods and don't want a tree on top of it. I already have a diesel tractor and will get a fuel tank from my local coop so I'll have fuel. I've got a line on a pto generator real cheap but I want a stand alone diesel for long term.

PTO generator is ok if you can get it cheap, but standalone is much better since chances are good that you will want to use the tractor if there's an extended outage. Now, if you have 2-3 tractors it's a different story :D

As far as sourcing, I can't help you there. I see them from time to time but nowhere I can point to.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Either way I go, I don't plan on running it 24/7. Likely 2-3 hour periods a couple times a day. I'd like to get a 5k diesel for just the geo heat pump that I can run 24/7 if it's cold. That would save a ton of fuel over running a 10-15k generator. I don't need running water 24/7.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I usually start my search on ebay. Maybe a surplus Onan or Cat from a store closing, nicely enclosed and contained.

Seems most of the new "standby" generators enclosed are geared to run off propane of Nat gas.

I did buy a SDMO 30KW single phase 1800 rpm diesel for a insulation rig a few years ago. It had a 20 gallon tank under it but the generator wasn't enclosed. Nicely built, in the $4500 range (2007)

I had a 3600 rpm diesel onan for a week. Scared the crap out of me when I first started it, I thought it was going to rev to destruction!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    PTO generator is ok if you can get it cheap, but standalone is much better since chances are good that you will want to use the tractor if there's an extended outage. Now, if you have 2-3 tractors it's a different story :D

Does not matter how many Tractors, it is always the one with the wrong thing hooked up to it... :dunno:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Well, I'm on about power outage number 5 or 6 in the 7 months I've lived in my new house. I put a 400 amp manual transfer switch when I wired the house. I'm wanting a diesel genset and it looks like a used military generator is going to be the best value. IE, can be had on a trailer and will have a fuel tank already on it.

Does anyone know of a place that sells used military generators somewhere in Indiana or close by?

10,000 watts divided by 220 volts = 45.45 amps.

What did the tag on the new genny read. Did the seller have any more?

Top Bottom