somewhat local source for military generators?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've found an online PDF of the manual already but I hate reading text like that on a computer monitor. Besides, I'll probably need it when my generator isn't working.

Jeremy, if you have a copy you don't need, I'd gladly take it.

I don't think the seller has any more. From what I've read, these 10k generators are usually capable of putting out 14-15k. My geo heat pump needs about 27 amps to run. This set won't be enough to run everything by any stretch. I'll probably get a second one in the future to run just my geo, water heater and sump pump and use this one for the rest of the house. I want to run the well a few hours a day. Enough to get showers, fill the tub and buckets to be able to flush toilets, etc. If it looks like I'll be out of power for really prolonged periods of time, I may just put a space heater in the basement and run the generator a few a day to save on fuel.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got a nice MEP-003A off of ebay for a total of $2405 freight to Lafayette. I got it home tonight and put my new Optima batteries in it. It started up and ran great. I do need to get an air filter for it and I'll have to try my googlefu to find one. I'm not sure if I can use an Onan filter or if I'm going to have to find a "military" one.

I've got my plugs for the cable, I just need to get the cable yet and install the plugs and I'll be in business. Tomorrow, I'm going to look at a 280 gallon diesel tank from Craigslist. It's supposed to have 100 gallon of fuel in it and it was used as a genset tank. I'll then need to get a fuel transfer pump so I can fuel my tractor off of it. I'll probably get set up with the co op to have fuel delivered as well. I figure I can get farm diesel delivered for cheaper than I can load the tank up and get road diesel at a gas station.

It looks like this generator already has a remote tank kit on it. I'm not sure I'm going to hook it up that way though. I figure if I have to go out and fuel it every 8-10 hours, it will force me to give it a once over and check it out.

af6b2a9e.jpg

d829316f.jpg

7b4255e5.jpg

e09836bf.jpg

3f137717.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I picked up this tank today. There was only 50-60 gallon in it though. It's a UL listed 280 gallon double walled tank. I also got some sort of filtration system with it that's powered by a 12vdc motor. I've got a fuel transfer pump coming any day as well. I'll get this baby wired up by this weekend and I'll be in bidness.

729ac864.jpg

d2b231bc.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What does that thing use, camlock type welding cables?
    Or some type of large hubble twistlock.

There are big posts with a slot in the middle and a nut that tightens down on the post. You slide the wire in the slot and tighten the nut. Similar concept to speaker terminals.

Top Bottom