• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nothing crazy happened. But I thought this was worth sharing.

Im a open carrier. I've never conceal carried. I choose not too, simply because access to my gun is easier while OCing. And because CC is simply uncomfortable to me. Im too damn skinny to tuck a gun in my waistband.:)

So I'm out at the Speedway on 34th and Georgetown on the west side of Indy. I stopped in to grab a coffee mid-day. One of the female employees was standing near the door as I walked in with my trusty Glock on my hip. I walked passed her to head to the coffee machine, and I can see her staring at me out of the corner of my eye.

As I approach the machine, I hear her say something. I couldn't tell what she said, or who she was speaking to. So I turned and looked at her. She was making eye contact with me. I said "huh?". She then proceeded to blurt out "Are you carrying a gun??" so the whole store could hear. Flabergasted that she would say it so loud and with such a threatened tone in her voice, I slighty cocked my head sideways and said "Yes?". She then ask, "WHY?!". Again, with a confused tone, I said "For my protection?" She looked down at the floor and started shaking her head saying "Oh my....Shiitt you carry a gun in my neighborhood, you gon get shot!". I responded with "Thats unfortunate. I carry a gun so I DONT get shot".

By this time, she had walked a little closer, while I made my coffee. I could tell there were people in the store kind of half-ass listening to our conversation. She kept looking at my gun while we were talking, and looked extremely nervous. Like I was going to pull it out and start shooting up the place or something. After trying to talk some sense into this woman, I said "Look at it this way, if some guy busts in right now and tries robbing/shooting up the place, I wont just be protecting myself, Ill be protecting you as well. I carry this gun not for just my own safety, but others too". After I said that, she just gave this blank look, like I had just said it in Spanish.

This is what angered me about the whole ordeal. I turn to go to the counter to pay for my coffee, and I hear her say "Oh my goodness, that gun makes we want to go stand behind me glass or something." I ignored it. But in my head I was thinking "WTF LADY, YOU THINK ITS GONNA JUMP OUT OF THE ****ING HOLSTER ALL BY ITSELF AND START CAPPING PEOPLE??" But I didnt. I payed for my coffee, and left.

I can honestly say, this woman caught me off guard with this conversation. I wasn't exactly prepared to give a speech as to why I carry a gun. But I think I explained myself very well, but she for some reason didnt understand. But this is whats wrong with America today. Everyone fears guns. The way I see it, Dont fear the gun, fear the person holding the gun.

NateMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not going to get into a debate, But being a responsible gun owner has nothing to do with your preference of CC/OC. How you handle your firearm, how you shoot it, and knowing when to use it is what makes a responsible gun owner.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So she's so scared, she wants to go hide only moments after walking towards the MWAG and asking questions and preaching you were going to get shot?

Ending the discussion probably saved you valuable IQ points...:D

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Not going to get into a debate, But being a responsible gun owner has nothing to do with your preference of CC/OC. How you handle your firearm, how you shoot it, and knowing when to use it is what makes a responsible gun owner.

Purple = sarcasm

Sounds like you did a good job. I am am OCer as well and when confronted have always been very nice and accommodating. I'm to the point now where I just don't give a damn. If you don't like it, pound sand. If the store doesn't want my money, I'll go spend it elsewhere.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

Purple text my man. Know it, respect it, familiarize yourself with it, use it often

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Purple text my man. Know it, respect it, familiarize yourself with it, use it often
    I hate the purple text sarcasm. I am completely color blind and had no idea for about 2 weeks on here that is was purple. Lets make it white. I can tell white easily. LOL

NateMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lady is scared to death of a holstered gun but thinks nothing about running 80 miles an hour in traffic on 465 3 feet from other cars.

And didnt seem to be scared of the area that her store is located in. Isn't exactly a nice neighborhood. Im surprised she was scared of some skinny little white boy, nicely dressed, walking into her store with a holstered handgun. It still baffles me.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I hate the purple text sarcasm. I am completely color blind and had no idea for about 2 weeks on here that is was purple. Lets make it white. I can tell white easily. LOL

That sucks. I don't think you could see white on this background though, or us.

- For example... -

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Firearms have been demonized effectively at a time when personal responsibility is at its nadir. As a society, we have moved away from a team effort and see mostly "them" amungst "us" and results in or is caused by a perpetual lack of trust.

This dynamic is very interesting.

Thoughts:
    -Does a country need a deep hatred of a national foreign enemy to keep a high level of unity?
    -Are we born trusting and as we age, experience teaches us that trust is an illusion?
    -Has the team become leery as a result of a lack of trust or is a lack of trust a result of a weak team?
    -Is a lack of trust the result of the premise that if it is not my responsibility, then you are the blame this is thus and therefore you cannot be trusted and the you is everyone but me?
    -Through the ages, has it always been like this? Or, with the advent of multimedia communication, are we more aware of reasons to mistrust?

How was the coffee? Fresh pot or burnt sludge?

NateMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    I picked up one of the pots and poured coffee in my cup. After I did this, I realized the coffee was luke-warm. So I disposed of that cup, and got some more out of a different pot. Overall, I was very disappointed in the coffee. It wasn't even fresh.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OP i would say you handled yourself well. being an OCer like myself, i feel that always being prepared for this sort of thing is a given and that you may have been cought off guard a bit byt her comments.. not to be a jerk just saying.

Biggest thing is that you stayed calm +1

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Go to Starbucks instead. Better coffee and corporate and the help gets it. That used to be a nice neighborhood like so many others on the west side... depressing.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Starbucks ≠ better coffee.

This is what she thinks - bad neighborhood = criminals, criminals = guns, guns = bad things happening, therefore all guns = bad.

Too much indoctrination, not enough free thought and understanding of rights.

growler46901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I don't think you did anything wrong at all. It's possible that she was running her mouth to start a confrontation or get a rise out of you.
    It is more likely that, from her perspective, she doesn't see many responsible gun owners. She probably associates firearms with murders, robberies and drive bys??
    Hopefully, after her encounter with you (the responsible gun owner), It might make a small dent in changing her perspective?
    Just my 2 cents

Growler

Top Bottom