• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    It is rude (and IMHO petty) to suggest that "Everyone has to make mistakes to learn in life".

One ned not test an absolute, rather just accept it and act accordingly.

Alrighty, this wasn't supposed to be a pissing match. I told a story, shared an event and you get all cynical about it. Thanks again though, and please refrain from off-topic posts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    if i would have been in that class i would have called him a IDIOT!!! and walked out!!!!
    I was *this* close to signing up for the class (even though it was to be held at Gander Mt., and even though I detest GM...)... until he came into the store and we got into a conversation about it. I knew right then I'd never take any "class" from somebody who thought a hammer-down 1911 was anywhere close to a "good idea".
    Shouldn't it be obvious...coonfinger.

Like goldfinger only WAY less cool.

HA!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    LOL. Somebody involved in this thread should seriously make a poll. JG had a great idea there.
    JG is out for a few hours...but she'll be more than happy to vote in that poll when she returns. Somebody link it here so she can find it! Laterz, peepsies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My post wasn't off topic.
    I'm not cynical.
    Breaking safety rules and the experience of such actions I don't pass off lightly as "learning experiences".
    One can accept rules, abide by them, without having to test them.
    Suggesting otherwise is IMHO part of the freakin' problem.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    My post wasn't off topic.
    I'm not cynical.
    Breaking safety rules and the experience of such actions I don't pass off lightly as "learning experiences".
    One can accept rules, abide by them, without having to test them.
    Suggesting otherwise is IMHO part of the freakin' problem.

OK, 10-4, agreed, _____ insert other like words here. Can we move on? I see where you're coming from. But he's had his scolding, more than once, twice or even 6 times. I just meant that sometimes one has to learn the hard way, and YES he's a moron for doing what he did. I think I said that earlier. No hard feelings.

:ingo:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Last night, a gun enthusiast (just starting out)

Right there would be the end of it. He would not be pulling a gun out or messing with it in my house.

If he's going to bring it over, okay. But leave it in the holster.

I am very glad that nobody was killed. I know somebody personally that had just be given a handgun as a present. While messing with it he shot and killed himself. 3 little kids and a wife...

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Right there would be the end of it. He would not be pulling a gun out or messing with it in my house.

If he's going to bring it over, okay. But leave it in the holster.

I am very glad that nobody was killed. I know somebody personally that had just be given a handgun as a present. While messing with it he shot and killed himself. 3 little kids and a wife...

Well, yes, I understand why you'd draw the line there. But in reality, he's been involved in guns for almost 7 months. He only has one handgun at this time though, and I bet he gets rid of it quick like. Maybe I'll list it on here as a "signature", "infamous" 1911. He will not, like I said before, bring any firearm into my home he's received proper training.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Well, yes, I understand why you'd draw the line there. But in reality, he's been involved in guns for almost 7 months. He only has one handgun at this time though, and I bet he gets rid of it quick like. Maybe I'll it on here as a "signature", "infamous" 1911. He will not, like I said before, bring any firearm into my home he's received proper training.

He's had a 1911 for seven months and thought it had a decocker?

ETA: And thought it was a good idea to demonstrate its function to you inside your home, while the gun was loaded...?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

ETA: And thought it was a good idea to demonstrate its function to you inside your home, while the gun was loaded...?

Yep, he's well, not very smart. He doesn't carry much, and has only shot it a few times. That's right, he's that type of gun owner.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

IDK..I must be missing something but is there actually a firearm that safely decocks without discharging a round just by pulling the trigger only with a loaded chamber?

ETA: Maybe I misunderstood the story and he was trying to decock with his thumb on the hammer while pulling the trigger and his thumb slipped.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    IDK..I must be missing something but is there actually a firearm that safely decocks without discharging a round just by pulling the trigger only with a loaded chamber?

ETA: Maybe I misunderstood the story and he was trying to decock with his thumb on the hammer while pulling the trigger and his thumb slipped.

Sure. Take a series 80, for example -- all you have to do is QUICKLY tap the trigger and get back off it before the hammer strikes and sends the firing pin forward. As long as you get off quickly, the firing pin block will safely stop the firing pin from moving forward. What could possibly go wrong?

And I maintain that this is only accurately called a decocker if the user happens to carry AIWB and performs the action while the gun is in its carry position.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Well, yes, I understand why you'd draw the line there. But in reality, he's been involved in guns for almost 7 months.

Yep, he's well, not very smart. He doesn't carry much, and has only shot it a few times.

Oh well, sounds like you both have some things to learn:D

This whole thing sounds like a cluster F*#@. It actually makes me feel a little ill to think what could have happened to someone in your family when someone with that little bit of experience was showing you his loaded gun.

Sorry, I am not saying any of this in anger. But it truely takes me back to the night that my friend was killed. Standing next to a grave site on a cold winter day watching him get lowered into the ground because of playing with a gun is something that will never leave me.

I think that I would do my own repairs and just ask him to stay home for a while.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Oh well, sounds like you both have some things to learn:D

This whole thing sounds like a cluster F*#@. It actually makes me feel a little ill to think what could have happened to someone in your family when someone with that little bit of experience was showing you his loaded gun.

Sorry, I am not saying any of this in anger. But it truely takes me back to the night that my friend was killed. Standing next to a grave site on a cold winter day watching him get lowered into the ground because of playing with a gun is something that will never leave me.

I think that I would do my own repairs and just ask him to stay home for a while.

I'm sorry, what do I have to learn exactly? I feel like I really didn't have anything to do with this other than have him over for a nice get together. I'm sorry for your loss but don't take it out on me (at least it feels like you are a bit). And as far as me doing my own repairs, no thanks, it's his mess. Not to mention, I'll be at work most the day, and my fiance will have to deal with it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anti's and other people that are neutral on 2nd amendment issues read crap like this and think, "what a bunch of stupid hill-jacks."

And you know something? They're right.

Top Bottom