South Bend Police Dept loaded handgun found in the middle of a busy street!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain! LOL. DUDE! STOP IT! I can't breathe! LOL

I see many cops/security using those lanyards around here.
    I guess they're not that popular in the US.

eaec0ed8070f307454037e3b86a843d7--military-gear-military-uniforms.jpg

Agression-de-policiers-a-Aulnay-une-3eme-interpellation-une-arme-retrouvee.jpg

deux-agents-sarladais-sont-concernes.jpg

640_000_d63tx.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, his holster is unstrapped under his right arm.....:dunno:
    Has to be some reason for this.

I think that picture was taken in 2015 in Paris right after the terrorist attacks.
    Cops were told to keep their guns unholstered to be ready for potential additional threats.

You can see the officer is wearing his heavy vest on top of his regular uniform and vest.
    It's not what they wear on regular patrols.

photo-d-illustration-police-illustration-terrorisme-illustration-attentats_5566115.jpg

image.jpg

I guess it's technically unholstered when you move it to your front pocket.

1023369208.jpg

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I see many cops/security using those lanyards around here.
    I guess they're not that popular in the US.

Lanyard use was required for all pistols and revolvers by General Order or similar policy statement during my entire 20+ years in the US Army. I know some guys hated them but they never bothered me at all. It was a matter of knowing how to "dress" it to keep it out of the way. Anyone who tried to get away without using one, eventually got jacked up hard if they were found without one. I didn't tolerate not using one. There was only one warning issued, clearly given in the form of a direct order with a reminder of the consequences of violating one. Word spreads quickly when something is stressed that firmly. It's driven completely home at the next unit formation. I thank God I wasn't in the unit involved when a tank commander (the guy in the top of the turret) had a 1911 fall out of a shoulder holster (common for tankers) that didn't have the required idiot cord tying it to him. This wasn't on pavement, it was when deployed out in the dirt, sand, mud, tall grass, weeds, etc. The entire company and eventually most of the battalion scoured the countryside nonstop for the better part of a week until it was found.

I don't believe the German Polizei used them when I lived there. I've never seen a US LEO use one. Pistols in the US don't come with lanyard loops unless they're made to MIL SPEC which requires it. The PD will know, by serial number, whose it is. There will be some "splainin'" to do.

Edit:
    Some very old 1911 magazines have lanyard loops on them and apparently at least one company makes them for reenactors and historically accurate replacements. I was told they date back to the horse cavalry days when the US Army was concerned about soldiers on horseback dropping the magazines and losing them.

John

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So it has been a month and now they are going to open a probe... this is why government sucks. If this happened at my company, I would call the person who could tell me who has the serial number on the gun assigned to them. Then I would have that employee appear in my office moments later and explain to me what happened. I don’t see much probing that needs to be done.

Top Bottom