South Bend Police Dept loaded handgun found in the middle of a busy street!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So it has been a month and now they are going to open a probe... this is why government sucks. If this happened at my company, I would call the person who could tell me who has the serial number on the gun assigned to them. Then I would have that employee appear in my office moments later and explain to me what happened. I don’t see much probing that needs to be done.

The objective here is to cover the A$$es that need to be covered in this.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Riiiiiight! It takes 30 days to look at the serial umber and see it's assigned officer.

Yep, you think there would be some asset management behind that.

On another note, I wonder how that 30 days compares with the process to track down a weapon used in a crime (i.e. Contact manufacturer to get to the distributor to get to the store/FFL, and then get to at least the first buyer).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So it has been a month and now they are going to open a probe... this is why government sucks. If this happened at my company, I would call the person who could tell me who has the serial number on the gun assigned to them. Then I would have that employee appear in my office moments later and explain to me what happened. I don’t see much probing that needs to be done.

Exactly, most companies would have asset management for such an item, especially given it comes from the OEM with a serial number. No need even for an asset tag, etc.
    If they don't have a system like this, maybe we should push some of these politicians to do this before they try to force us to register ours :twocents:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I had the chance to talk to a member of South Bends Public Safety committee.

Apparently the officer had reported his missing handgun 6 minutes after it fell off his car. And he did every thing right after that. I guess that played a lot into their decision.
    Now of course if it had happened to a civilian I believe we would end up in a heap of trouble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Apparently the officer had reported his missing handgun 6 minutes after it fell off his car. And he did every thing right after that. I guess that played a lot into their decision.
    Now of course if it had happened to a civilian I believe we would end up in a heap of trouble.

You damned Skippy we would.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

I vote we move to Judge Dredd rules on this subject. Failure to maintain possession of your weapon is an immediate disqualification from service.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

There's a law against losing your handgun?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

What trouble would that be? How many people do you know that have been arrested for leaving a firearm unsecure in a vehicle and having it stolen?

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Surely we're not so confused with what happened here as to equate having a firearm stolen from within your vehicle to the negligence of driving off with a firearm on your vehicle.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    It isn't negligent to leave a firearm unsecured in an unattended vehicle?

It was not left in the car but on top of the car. Then officer drove away. I expect in South Bend they would have dug through every law in the book to charge a civilian. Not so in Mishawaka.

Top Bottom