• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    So I'd heard over the past few years rumors there was a single bear here in Indiana, but how many are there really? are they migrating up from KY?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not rumors. Even the DNR confirmed the one a while back over near the old Jefferson Proving Ground. Now it seems we've got a sow and cub in Perry Co. So at least 3, and given how wild some areas are down here in Perry and Crawford counties no doubt in my mind there's more. In my opinion the sow over wintered on this side of the river, and gave birth here, as I wouldn't think a sow would even think about swimming the river with a young'un.
    As far as where they're coming from, yeah, they're Ky transplants. There are known populations on Ft. Knox and the Bernheim Arboretum near Louisville. I have also heard from very reliable sources of a population in Breckenridge Co. KY, which is directly across the river from Perry Co.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Heading down to Crawford county tomorrow morning to camp all weekend.
    That's some fine land down that away.
    Guess we will see if the Yeti can get bear picked.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    :): That reminds me of the story of a couple of Kentuckians that wanted to cross the river. They saw a couple of Hoosiers on the other side and asked if they could help. The Hoosier boys hollered back, "We'll shine our flashlights across the river and you can walk across on the beams!" The Kentucky boys hollered back, "We're not stupid! You'll wait until we're half way across and turn the lights off!"

:laugh: My 6th grade teacher, who was awesome, btw, used to tell us that one and a whole bunch of other Kentuckian jokes. We loved it! I hadn't heard that one since I was sitting in his classroom about 40 years ago!

I'd love to see a population of black bears take root in the state. We've got a lot going on now that wasn't there or was never seen when I was a kid.....Bald Eagles, Great Blue Heron, bobcats, and now bears. And cougars. We had them in our neighborhood, but I didn't know what they were then, which was probably a good thing. I'll bet some of the neighborhood dads, knew, though. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :laugh: My 6th grade teacher, who was awesome, btw, used to tell us that one and a whole bunch of other Kentuckian jokes. We loved it! I hadn't heard that one since I was sitting in his classroom about 40 years ago!

I'd love to see a population of black bears take root in the state. We've got a lot going on now that wasn't there or was never seen when I was a kid.....Bald Eagles, Great Blue Heron, bobcats, and now bears. And cougars. We had them in our neighborhood, but I didn't know what they were then, which was probably a good thing. I'll bet some of the neighborhood dads, knew, though. ;)

:laugh:

Apparently we have the lions and bears now, so all we need are the tigers (Oh my!).

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    There used to be quite a few tigers near Tell City a few years ago but they all went to a sanctuary up north somewhere. Also, anybody from the SW corner of the state remember the cougar in the Lindsay Lincoln-Mercury commercials from years ago? He was there, too!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There used to be quite a few tigers near Tell City a few years ago but they all went to a sanctuary up north somewhere. Also, anybody from the SW corner of the state remember the cougar in the Lindsay Lincoln-Mercury commercials from years ago? He was there, too!

The was a big cat sanctuary in a very rural part of Logan County, Ohio when I was a kid. It was within a couple miles of my grandma and grandpa's house.

Sitting around a fire late at night and hearing a lion or tiger roar really gets your attention.:D

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    I'm really encouraged about the influx of wildlife back into the state, even amidst the very enthusiastic hunting population! Of course there aren't enough bear here to warrant hunting them, but its a start!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The was a big cat sanctuary in a very rural part of Logan County, Ohio when I was a kid. It was within a couple miles of my grandma and grandpa's house.

Sitting around a fire late at night and hearing a lion or tiger roar really gets your attention.:D

I can imagine! Bet the other local residents weren't too thrilled, tho.

I'm really encouraged about the influx of wildlife back into the state, even amidst the very enthusiastic hunting population! Of course there aren't enough bear here to warrant hunting them, but its a start!

I am too, I am too!

Top Bottom