• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Don't brake the laws and you never have to get stopped

I notice you wrote, "Never have to get stopped". Not wont be stopped. Here is one experience I have had with an LEO in Portage. A guy that I worked with and myself were leaving work, he was about a block ahead of me. He made the light and I caught it, as soon as he rounds the corner he gets lit up and pulled over. I talked to him the next day and the cop told him he was speeding ( I know that was bs because I was behind him and know how fast he was going). The light turns green and I turn, as soon as I do I see him running to his car, I get pulled over a block or so down the road, he tells me my license plate light was out. It wasn't when I checked it five minutes later. He comes up to my window asks for license and registration, asks where I'm coming from, I tell him work. He asks where, I tell him the same place as the last guy you had pulled over. He then says well I take it you haven't been drinking then. About that time a car comes down the road from the opposite direction, he literally tosses my lic and reg in the window onto my lap, says drive safe and takes off running back to his car where he jumps in pulls a u-turn and immediately hits his lights. I have no idea what excuse he used to pull the last car over, all the lights I saw were working and it didn't appear they were speeding. But it was a Friday night about 12:00.

Here are a couple more, I was pulled over by the IL state police a couple of years ago, I was driving a u-haul going 5mph under the limit to save fuel. I was pulled over because supposedly there were people behind me following to close. No it wasn't for obstructing traffic, but supposedly because other people were following to close. It was a 4 lane divided highway and the left lane was clear. He later said I had drifted over the yellow line, which was bs because I would have heard it with the noise makers. And I know the following too close was bs, because I had people following me and they were several car lengths back. He was checking for drugs and/or guns. That was what all his questions were about.

A couple of others, I was pulled over for speeding. Sat night about 11:30. I know I wasn't speeding because I knew that they sat there and I was watching my speed. Same place and about the same time I was pulled over because I had "snow on my license plate". Yes it's possible but it was a freakin blizzard. Both times they asked where I was going and if I had been drinking and then was let off with a "verbal warning". In the 3 years I was driving through that town I was pulled over about a dozen times. It was almost a running joke with my boss, if I was late he would ask if I was pulled over again. The answer usually was yes. Every time was a fri or sat night on the way to work. Twice were for actually valid reasons.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    That's bull****

People sometimes get tickets when they haven't committed any violations whatsoever.

I know this firsthand. Ask me about my ticket for 78 mph in a moving truck with a speed governor installed preventing the truck from exceeding 62 mph.

WOW! some of you have some real hatred. How is what I said bull? I said both traffic enforcement and criminal enforcement are done every day around the state? What is wrong with that statement? I never said every cop was perfect. We hire form the human race so that means we get our turds just like doctors, lawyers, trash men etc. If you were given a ticket improperly then you have your right to your day in court. Did you bring documentation that the truck had a functioning governor that prevented such a high speed? What was the outcome. If the officer was wrong then file a complaint against him. I can only tell you how I work. I am honest and enforce both traffic and criminal law.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Neither this nor which high profile criminals got caught by routine traffic stops justify traffic rules. They either serve the intended purpose or not. I'm not opposed to having rules that help crowded roads be less chaotic. But either they're helpful for that purpose or they're not. We could probably get rid of most of the traffic code and the sky would not fall. Insurance companies would surely try to convince us it should though.

Traffic laws DO serve a purpose. I am sorry you feel you should be able to drive as fast as you want any which way you want etc. There has to be rules of chaos reigns. Would the sky fall in if many traffic laws were abolished, probably not,but they have helped in many cases.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I notice you wrote, "Never have to get stopped". Not wont be stopped. Here is one experience I have had with an LEO in Portage. A guy that I worked with and myself were leaving work, he was about a block ahead of me. He made the light and I caught it, as soon as he rounds the corner he gets lit up and pulled over. I talked to him the next day and the cop told him he was speeding ( I know that was bs because I was behind him and know how fast he was going). The light turns green and I turn, as soon as I do I see him running to his car, I get pulled over a block or so down the road, he tells me my license plate light was out. It wasn't when I checked it five minutes later. He comes up to my window asks for license and registration, asks where I'm coming from, I tell him work. He asks where, I tell him the same place as the last guy you had pulled over. He then says well I take it you haven't been drinking then. About that time a car comes down the road from the opposite direction, he literally tosses my lic and reg in the window onto my lap, says drive safe and takes off running back to his car where he jumps in pulls a u-turn and immediately hits his lights. I have no idea what excuse he used to pull the last car over, all the lights I saw were working and it didn't appear they were speeding. But it was a Friday night about 12:00.

Here are a couple more, I was pulled over by the IL state police a couple of years ago, I was driving a u-haul going 5mph under the limit to save fuel. I was pulled over because supposedly there were people behind me following to close. No it wasn't for obstructing traffic, but supposedly because other people were following to close. It was a 4 lane divided highway and the left lane was clear. He later said I had drifted over the yellow line, which was bs because I would have heard it with the noise makers. And I know the following too close was bs, because I had people following me and they were several car lengths back. He was checking for drugs and/or guns. That was what all his questions were about.

A couple of others, I was pulled over for speeding. Sat night about 11:30. I know I wasn't speeding because I knew that they sat there and I was watching my speed. Same place and about the same time I was pulled over because I had "snow on my license plate". Yes it's possible but it was a freakin blizzard. Both times they asked where I was going and if I had been drinking and then was let off with a "verbal warning". In the 3 years I was driving through that town I was pulled over about a dozen times. It was almost a running joke with my boss, if I was late he would ask if I was pulled over again. The answer usually was yes. Every time was a fri or sat night on the way to work. Twice were for actually valid reasons.

I have NEVER said all cops are angels. Once again...we hire from the human race and that means even turds get through once in a while. If these cases are as you described then the officers were wrong doing what they did. I hate dirty cops because my job is hard enough without dealing with idiots. I've heard it said many times that "we are our own worst enemies."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Neither this nor which high profile criminals got caught by routine traffic stops justify traffic rules. They either serve the intended purpose or not. I'm not opposed to having rules that help crowded roads be less chaotic. But either they're helpful for that purpose or they're not. We could probably get rid of most of the traffic code and the sky would not fall. Insurance companies would surely try to convince us it should though.

Traffic laws DO serve a purpose. I am sorry you feel you should be able to drive as fast as you want any which way you want etc. There has to be rules of chaos reigns. Would the sky fall in if many traffic laws were abolished, probably not,but they have helped in many cases.

R E A D I N G
    C O M P R E H E N S I O N: The ability to read text, process it, and understand its meaning.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    R E A D I N G
    C O M P R E H E N S I O N: The ability to read text, process it, and understand its meaning.
    Thanks, what would I do without your helpful hints? Who gets to decide which rules are helpful and which ones aren't?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ticktwrtr said:
    Would the sky fall in if many traffic laws were abolished, probably not,but they have helped in many cases.

Research seems to demonstrate quite the opposite.

ticktwrtr said:
    I have NEVER said all cops are angels. Once again...we hire from the human race and that means even turds get through once in a while. If these cases are as you described then the officers were wrong doing what they did.

Ever silly regulation that we put into place and that 'good' cops such as yourself defend gives the 'bad' cops and bureaucrats that much more latitude in abusing us.

We would probably all agree that we shouldn't ban gun ownership, we should make sure that murderers are held accountable for their actions. Not every gun owner is going to cause harm.

This is no different. Instead of banning efficient driving, let's make sure that irresponsible drivers are held accountable for the damage they cause. Not every person going 10 over is going to cause harm.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ticktwrtrr said:
    Thanks, what would I do without your helpful hints? Who gets to decide which rules are helpful and which ones aren't?

As a matter of fact, you have the ability to do so every time you are on the clock. You could look at the relevant research that shows that speed limit enforcement is useless, process that information, and then stop handing out tickets for it.

Simple.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    As a matter of fact, you have the ability to do so every time you are on the clock. You could look at the relevant research that shows that speed limit enforcement is useless, process that information, and then stop handing out tickets for it.

Simple.

It's not useless. I do make the decision on every traffic stop I make whether to write a ticket or not. Even if I don't write the ticket, maybe the stop itself will get the violator to slow down or be more aware. I am VERY pro 2A. I enjoy my firearms and think most people should be able to as well. Sorry, those with mental issues or felony convictions are no go for me.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I believe the last I know the department I work for get $5 per fine collected for a ticket. The rest goes to the local govt. for courts and such. I don't get anything extra for writing one ticket or 100 during my regular shift. I would get overtime if I am working enforcement grants.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not useless. I do make the decision on every traffic stop I make whether to write a ticket or not. Even if I don't write the ticket, maybe the stop itself will get the violator to slow down or be more aware. I am VERY pro 2A. I enjoy my firearms and think most people should be able to as well. Sorry, those with mental issues or felony convictions are no go for me.

It is not useless. I see traffic slow way the hell down when LEO has an idiot pulled over. It stays slow at least a half mile past that......:)

If there were no traffic citations and the threat of them the roads would be a ****ing war zone. Where does this idiot crap come from.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I believe the last I know the department I work for get $5 per fine collected for a ticket. The rest goes to the local govt. for courts and such. I don't get anything extra for writing one ticket or 100 during my regular shift. I would get overtime if I am working enforcement grants.

local govt. keeps silly taffic laws on the books so that you can hand out tickets so that they get their revenue...its not about safety, its about money

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    churchmouse said:
    If there were no traffic citations and the threat of them the roads would be a ****ing war zone. Where does this idiot crap come from.

It comes from scientific research and empirical evidence.

Where do your claims come from?

"If there were no gun control our cities would be a ****ing war zone." Right?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well, I'm sorry about being a smartass. I probably could have used a more polite way of saying that I covered your counterpoint before you made it.

I think if there's a problem, we should find solutions. Maybe the solution is another rule. Maybe it's something else. But if we make a new rule, it needs to actually fix the problem and if it doesn't, or has some unintended negative impact, get rid of it. Seat belt laws are an example. I've said before, they don't really make people wear them that wouldn't have without the law. Insurance companies think they help with their bottom line. I doubt your rates are affected.

I think I'm conflicted about speed limits. In some situations yeah, but mostly no. When I obey speed laws it's either because the conditions warrant it or there's a cop nearby anyway.

Other than that, I drive the speed I'm comfortable with for the conditions. I've only been pulled over a handful of times in almost 40 years of driving. My driving habits are mostly within the law, except for exceeding the posted limit by just a bit. If the laws were to go away, my driving habits would not change. I think that's true for most people over 30. We can figure out how to be safe on our own. And I think some research has shown that.

Establishing standards, like which side of the road we drive on, yeah, we need that. Parking/no parking zones, yep, necessary.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, I'm sorry about being a smartass. I probably could have used a more polite way of saying that I covered your counterpoint before you made it.

I think if there's a problem, we should find solutions. Maybe the solution is another rule. Maybe it's something else. But if we make a new rule, it needs to actually fix the problem and if it doesn't, or has some unintended negative impact, get rid of it. Seat belt laws are an example. I've said before, they don't really make people wear them that wouldn't have without the law. Insurance companies think they help with their bottom line. I doubt your rates are affected.

I think I'm conflicted about speed limits. In some situations yeah, but mostly no. When I obey speed laws it's either because the conditions warrant it or there's a cop nearby anyway.

Other than that, I drive the speed I'm comfortable with for the conditions. I've only been pulled over a handful of times in almost 40 years of driving. My driving habits are mostly within the law, except for exceeding the posted limit by just a bit. If the laws were to go away, my driving habits would not change. I think that's true for most people over 30. We can figure out how to be safe on our own. And I think some research has shown that.

Establishing standards, like which side of the road we drive on, yeah, we need that. Parking/no parking zones, yep, necessary.

Let's see....that would make you...umm...(carry the 4....).....dang! That's old!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Let's see....that would make you...umm...(carry the 4....).....dang! That's old!

I started young? :dunno:

Actually I did start young. Back in the day dads took their kids out and lernt 'em ta drive as soon as they could touch the peddles.

ETA: I'm not the one talking about retirement.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    WOW! some of you have some real hatred. How is what I said bull? I said both traffic enforcement and criminal enforcement are done every day around the state? What is wrong with that statement? I never said every cop was perfect. We hire form the human race so that means we get our turds just like doctors, lawyers, trash men etc. If you were given a ticket improperly then you have your right to your day in court. Did you bring documentation that the truck had a functioning governor that prevented such a high speed? What was the outcome. If the officer was wrong then file a complaint against him. I can only tell you how I work. I am honest and enforce both traffic and criminal law.

You said as long as we don't break the law we won't get pulled over. That's bull****. It isn't hatred - i don't hate cops. I hate ********. And some of them have badges. I hate people who imply that not breaking the law means you'll never have any problems. We both know that's bull****. I hate those cops who think whenever someone calls them on the bull**** they spew that it's because the person just hates cops.

And yes, I fought that ticket and won. But I had to take the time off of work, and I had to pay my attorney. Where's my reimbursement for the stupid bull**** I had to go through because a particular state cop was an *******?

Top Bottom