• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I would be negligent in my duties if I stopped you for a seatbelt violation but after initial contact determined you might be impaired for either drugs or alcohol. If I failed to take it further once I smelled the odor of intoxicating beverages and let you drive away and you crash and kill someone...who would you go after if your loved one was killed? I am a very big proponent for seatbelt use. If you don't like the law get it changed

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would be negligent in my duties if I stopped you for a seatbelt violation but after initial contact determined you might be impaired for either drugs or alcohol. If I failed to take it further once I smelled the odor of intoxicating beverages and let you drive away and you crash and kill someone...who would you go after if your loved one was killed? I am a very big proponent for seatbelt use. If you don't like the law get it changed

Bingo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm talking about observing the seatbelt violation before initiating the fishing expedition. IE, officer determines he wants to make the stop before having cause to do so. He follows the guy and notices his plate light is out and bingo probable cause. The plate light has not a damned thing to do with the stop, it's just the justification for it.

Okay, so if you went somewhere to pan for gold, and a diamond showed up in your pan, I assume you would throw the diamond away, right? I mean, you were looking for gold, not diamonds. If you want to keep the diamond, you should have stated that your intent is to pan for diamonds (and of course throw away any gold you might find).

Or, let's say you were fishing for crappie, but you wind up catching the biggest bluegill you've ever seen - a real potential record breaker. You'd throw it back because you were fishing for crappie and not bluegill?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ticktwrter said:
    If I failed to take it further once I smelled the odor of intoxicating beverages and let you drive away and you crash and kill someone...who would you go after if your loved one was killed?

I would blame the person who hit them, like any rational person.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ticktwrter said:
    And when you found out they don't have insurance you'd sue the LEO for neglecting his duties since his department has the deeper pockets

Nah, you're not to blame for anyone else's actions.

You are to blame for harassing people and taking their money from them, though. If your username is accurate.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Nah, you're not to blame for anyone else's actions.

You are to blame for harassing people and taking their money from them, though. If your username is accurate.

Sorry, but you and I both know people go for the deep pockets. Also, I don't harass people, I enforce the laws. Don't violate the laws and I won't have to stop you and write you a ticket. I have no problem doing my job.

I'm tired of the damned if you do and damned if you don't. I do my job and do it well and have NO hesitation doing it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Okay, so if you went somewhere to pan for gold, and a diamond showed up in your pan, I assume you would throw the diamond away, right? I mean, you were looking for gold, not diamonds. If you want to keep the diamond, you should have stated that your intent is to pan for diamonds (and of course throw away any gold you might find).

Or, let's say you were fishing for crappie, but you wind up catching the biggest bluegill you've ever seen - a real potential record breaker. You'd throw it back because you were fishing for crappie and not bluegill?

Because our constitutional rights are dependent on the difficulty factor regarding LE duties. Which of your rights are you willing to sacrifice on the alter of LE convenience? Does tall grass justify a knock on your door, peeking in your windows and over your fences?

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Because our constitutional rights are dependent on the difficulty factor regarding LE duties. Which of your rights are you willing to sacrifice on the alter of LE convenience? Does tall grass justify a knock on your door, peeking in your windows and over your fences?

Yes, tall grass may require a knock on the door by the officer to let the homeowner know of the violation. I have a lot of difficult parts of my job but don't want to violate the Constitution.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm talking about observing the seatbelt violation before initiating the fishing expedition. IE, officer determines he wants to make the stop before having cause to do so. He follows the guy and notices his plate light is out and bingo probable cause. The plate light has not a damned thing to do with the stop, it's just the justification for it.

I got stopped years ago without faulty lights, and no laws broken. I noticed the cop was behind me as I approached a 3-way stop. I stopped, turned left. As I was in the intersection a truck blew through the stop on the straightaway. I had to change my path to avoid him and then let him go in front of me. I finished my turn and the cop followed behind.

I thought he was going to go around me to stop the truck but he lit me up instead. WTF? He first said I was speeding, which I challenged since the traffic made that impossible. Then he said, well you were reckless. I asked him if he didn't see the truck that blew through the stop that I had to avoid, and why he didn't stop the truck. He said he didn't see the truck run the stop, even though he was right behind me, yet he saw me evade the truck. He mumbled something, took my license/registration and went back to the cruiser.

He was there a long time before coming back, and by now I'm already late for an interview that I should have had plenty of time to get to. When he came back he said there's a warrant for, then stated my full name, then......dramatic pause, "but it's your lucky day. It's not you." and then let me go. Nothing about my supposed speeding or reckless driving, or whatever the other excuse was. Why did he have to be such a dick about the way he said it?

He may have just been fishing and stopped me hoping to find something, ran the DL and then decided to be a dick about the warrant. But I think the stop was all about the warrant. He lit me up pretty fast, even though he had to see the 18-wheeler blow through the stop. And he changed his reasons why he stopped me.

I think he might have ran my plates for ****s and giggles before I even stopped at the 3-way. The name matched a warrant, and so he stopped me. Or maybe he stopped me because he didn't like the mullet.

Lucky day my ass. People have lives. Some people break laws. Stop me when I've broken one. Leave me alone otherwise. Fishing does impact innocent people.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, tall grass may require a knock on the door by the officer to let the homeowner know of the violation. I have a lot of difficult parts of my job but don't want to violate the Constitution.

But what does peeking through my windows have to do with tall grass? Your only purpose for the knock on my door is to peak inside my house because just know that's where the real criminal activity is. The grass is your excuse to initiate the encounter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I sacrifice nothing. If I am breaking the law (not wearing a seat belt, speeding, rolling through a stop, whatever) and LE catches me, I take my lumps because I violated the law. If I've also drank a case of beer before I got in the car and rolled through that stop sign, or forgot to fasten my seat belt, then that's on me too and I fully expect the officer to arrest me and take me to jail. Why? Because I violated the law, even though the stop was for a different violation.

Let me ask you this. If YOU were a cop, and your job was to pull over someone that was breaking the law (let's say for blowing through a stop since apparently seat belt law is not worthy of enforcement), and when you pulled a guy over for doing so, you see a woman's body in the passenger seat, with her throat slashed. Are you seriously going to tell me that you'd write your ticket for blowing the stop, bid him a good day and let him go? It sounds like you would, since you didn't pull him over for driving with a dead body in his car.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ticketwrtr said:
    I have no problems sleeping at night knowing I am doing my job correctly.

Heh. Then in the morning you get yourself all psyched up for the day. "Gotta get that money! These tickets aren't going to write themselves!"

Would it make you feel bad if you knew that all of these tickets you wrote did nothing to improve traffic safety? That you were ultimately just robbing people on the side of the road?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I sacrifice nothing. If I am breaking the law (not wearing a seat belt, speeding, rolling through a stop, whatever) and LE catches me, I take my lumps because I violated the law. If I've also drank a case of beer before I got in the car and rolled through that stop sign, or forgot to fasten my seat belt, then that's on me too and I fully expect the officer to arrest me and take me to jail. Why? Because I violated the law, even though the stop was for a different violation.

Let me ask you this. If YOU were a cop, and your job was to pull over someone that was breaking the law (let's say for blowing through a stop since apparently seat belt law is not worthy of enforcement), and when you pulled a guy over for doing so, you see a woman's body in the passenger seat, with her throat slashed. Are you seriously going to tell me that you'd write your ticket for blowing the stop, bid him a good day and let him go? It sounds like you would, since you didn't pull him over for driving with a dead body in his car.

I don't have a problem with things found incidental to a stop. What I have a problem with is an officer who has already made up his mind that he's going to initiate a stop and then finding cause to do so.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    But what does peeking through my windows have to do with tall grass? Your only purpose for the knock on my door is to peak inside my house because just know that's where the real criminal activity is. The grass is your excuse to initiate the encounter.
    I never mentioned looking in your window. I mentioned only knocking at the door. You might need medication to deal your paranoia

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Heh. Then in the morning you get yourself all psyched up for the day. "Gotta get that money! These tickets aren't going to write themselves!"

Would it make you feel bad if you knew that all of these tickets you wrote did nothing to improve traffic safety? That you were ultimately just robbing people on the side of the road?

Steve, IF that were true, then I would feel bad, but I know better. I enjoy my profession.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I don't have a problem with things found incidental to a stop. What I have a problem with is an officer who has already made up his mind that he's going to initiate a stop and then finding cause to do so.
    You are referring to a pre textual stop...look into whether that is legal or not

Top Bottom