• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I've never been out in the woods and suddenly realized I would need a spoon in an hour.

I guess it's easier to accept a compliment than to give one :dunno:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ings-ive-been-working-lately.html#post5105408

Those are cool and usual, excellent photos.

I like the irony of using the knife to carve a . . . knife. Because you never know when you'll need . . . a knife.

I'm just wondering if the spoons and knives that Rhino carved would have too much Rhino blood on them to be actually used. :lmfao: Sorry Rhino somebody was going to go there.

You do some really nice work DK

Last edited:

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I plan on getting a whittling set eventually, use to be one of the few things that could keep me busy as an add/adhd kid catfishing. Remember driving dad nuts when he would find his coleman multi-tool dulled and full of wood scraps. The good ole' days.
    You really should try a hook knife, it makes it so easy.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Do you know when a tub of ice cream will attack? Yeah, I didn't think so, always be prepared!

:rofl:

They do tend to sneak up on you.

My aunt (or, more correctly, aunt in law) actually teaches wood carving classes. Every time I go to her house I am given a piece of wood specifically to carve a spoon. I still have some of the pieces and need to try it. They won't look nearly as nice as yours, though, I'm sure.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Nope. I've got a chunk I'm wondering what to do with. It's hard as all get out. I'm thinking a walking stick or two. But I'll probably have to power tool it.

Yeah, if it's dry, it would be very difficult to carve with hand tools. If you get something done with it please post up some pics.

I plan on getting a whittling set eventually, use to be one of the few things that could keep me busy as an add/adhd kid catfishing. Remember driving dad nuts when he would find his coleman multi-tool dulled and full of wood scraps. The good ole' days.

Ha! That's great!

Outstanding photos! Thanks for sharing.

Do you ever do any final sanding? Use power sanders or all by hand?

Thank you! They are all by hand, I start with a green piece of wood, a branch or chunk I split out of a log. I used to sand my spoons, lately I've gotten away from that, now I work on getting a good finish with my knives. If you keep them sharp enough you can get some really nice facets.

They do tend to sneak up on you.

My aunt (or, more correctly, aunt in law) actually teaches wood carving classes. Every time I go to her house I am given a piece of wood specifically to carve a spoon. I still have some of the pieces and need to try it. They won't look nearly as nice as yours, though, I'm sure.

Thats awesome Gabriel! Green woodworking seems to be a thing right now, I had no idea, does she have a preferred wood type?

I call :bs:, you do some beautiful work, share some pics if you ever take the time to make one, :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I plan on finding an acceptable branch piece to start with this weekend! What have you found to be the best size knife to handle the task? Not sure if it makes much difference until you get to the inner spoon material removal? Thanks for the idea and info!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I plan on finding an acceptable branch piece to start with this weekend! What have you found to be the best size knife to handle the task? Not sure if it makes much difference until you get to the inner spoon material removal? Thanks for the idea and info!

I like a 3.5"-4" blade myself, with a fullsize handle, a narrow blade makes tight curves easier. My two favorites are my Busse AMS, and SOB. Mora knives are perfect carvers, and inexpensive, I know KnifeLady carries them, I wonder if she has any of the hook knives.

Post some pics when you're done!!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    My 12 year old saw this this morning while we were waiting on the bus to get there. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Would there be any way possible next time you do a spoon, to take some pictures along the way? Kind of as a tutorial. Those all look amazing.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like a 3.5"-4" blade myself, with a fullsize handle, a narrow blade makes tight curves easier. My two favorites are my Busse AMS, and SOB. Mora knives are perfect carvers, and inexpensive, I know KnifeLady carries them, I wonder if she has any of the hook knives.

Post some pics when you're done!!

I will shoot her a Pm . And I will for sure, I can't wait to get started! I have been wanting to get into knives again more for awhile, this is the perfect reason. :)

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My 12 year old saw this this morning while we were waiting on the bus to get there. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Would there be any way possible next time you do a spoon, to take some pictures along the way? Kind of as a tutorial. Those all look amazing.

Thats great! I would be happy to do that, I have a few from a big spoon, I'll get more the next time I make one.

Here I've roughed it out.

Just starting to dig out the bowl, this I do after I have most of the spoon finished.

And here it is done, ready to stir the gravy! :)

I will shoot her a Pm . And I will for sure, I can't wait to get started! I have been wanting to get into knives again more for awhile, this is the perfect reason. :)

Let us know if she has them or can get them, if you don't mind. :thumbsup:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Knife Lady
    Yes I have about 6 different models in stock, Ranging in prices from $15-$20. Most of them are $20.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Fordtough25

Mora knives are perfect carvers, and inexpensive, I know KnifeLady carries them, I wonder if she has any of the hook knives.

Dakruiser said those Mora knives are good for carving, and reasonable on price. Do you have any on hand and prices? Thanks! Kyle

Yes she does!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Knife Lady
    Yes I have about 6 different models in stock, Ranging in prices from $15-$20. Most of them are $20.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Fordtough25

Mora knives are perfect carvers, and inexpensive, I know KnifeLady carries them, I wonder if she has any of the hook knives.

Dakruiser said those Mora knives are good for carving, and reasonable on price. Do you have any on hand and prices? Thanks! Kyle

Yes she does!

She has the Mora Hook knives?

Top Bottom