• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Finally got my spoonin knife. :) I have a ways to go before I make a nice spoon, but I now have a spoon. I am going to sand this one down and smooth it all out then put a coat of oil on it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Nice work!

Are you going to try again soon?

You better believe it. And since you were the first to post, I'll add that I didn't have that knife out of the box for 2 minutes before I stabbed myself in the palm. Lol. It just barely got me, but I quickly changed my approach. No accidents since.

I did Learn a few things with this spoon. I carved most of it a couple months ago while sitting around the fire. I did it with a couple of my knives. I batonned the basic shape with my esee 4, then carved a little more detail with a combination of knives. Griptilian, esee izula, and my Kershaw edc. Since that day, it has sat inside pretty much untouched. I believe the wood has dried out considerably and in turn become quite a bit harder to carve. I was definitely fighting that. I also had to take all the rough edges out of the inside of the spoon that had been carved with straight blade knives. Doing that on the dried, hard wood made for a fairly difficult task. I feel that starting with a green piece of wood and with the curved knife will make it a ton easier next time around.

So, how do you sharpen these knives?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First time trying to attach images. Recent spoon I made.

Very nice work! Looks like you have some experience.

You better believe it. And since you were the first to post, I'll add that I didn't have that knife out of the box for 2 minutes before I stabbed myself in the palm. Lol. It just barely got me, but I quickly changed my approach. No accidents since.

Hah! Touche'!

I did Learn a few things with this spoon. I carved most of it a couple months ago while sitting around the fire. I did it with a couple of my knives. I batonned the basic shape with my esee 4, then carved a little more detail with a combination of knives. Griptilian, esee izula, and my Kershaw edc. Since that day, it has sat inside pretty much untouched. I believe the wood has dried out considerably and in turn become quite a bit harder to carve. I was definitely fighting that. I also had to take all the rough edges out of the inside of the spoon that had been carved with straight blade knives. Doing that on the dried, hard wood made for a fairly difficult task. I feel that starting with a green piece of wood and with the curved knife will make it a ton easier next time around.

Definitely easier with green wood!

So, how do you sharpen these knives?

That's a good question. I've never handled that kind of knife, much less used or sharpened one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Definitely easier with green wood!

That's a good question. I've never handled that kind of knife, much less used or sharpened one.[/QUOTE]

It cuts a very neat little U shaped divot out of you. Much like a hoof knife.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The carpenter next door to our shop gave me a few pieces of drop lumber for me to mess around with. Here are a couple spoons I have been working on last night and today. In the living room. The wife hasn't killed me yet. She is beyond awesome. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice!

Plus, if you're making wood chips in the living room, she knows you're not up to any other sort of mischief!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Here's a few I done last summer, I'm in bad need of some woodlin time :)

462003FF-8531-41A4-AC50-6BE876FCDD7C_zpsjbxh8rxg.jpg

EE29E964-D57F-4C8B-9CAE-A86417C593B6_zpslhx5jjaq.jpg

6E8BD251-EFF3-4175-9310-1B96F02D02DB_zps94xnespp.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes an adze is your friend when it comes to bowls. I do the ruff shaping the an axe and most of the outside with draw knives. The final cuts are done with a gouge.

My dad carved a lot of bowls with an adze, chisels, and gouges. Many of them looked like bathubs, about 1/4 scale!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Yes an adze is your friend when it comes to bowls. I do the ruff shaping the an axe and most of the outside with draw knives. The final cuts are done with a gouge.

I knew that had to be the way to go, I made a small shallow bowl with my hook knife, whew! I think I will fire up the forge and make an adze, I'd love to make some bigger bowls. Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That spatula is SWEET. Nice work, as always, sir.

I've been practicing just carving the smallest curls I can with my Battlehorse with the Scandi grind. The next step after I learn to control it well will be a spoon.

Top Bottom