• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I agree that people who cut up the original stocks, screw with the action, and shorten the barrel deserve to be hit over the head with the gun they have just destroyed, but there is a proper way to give these relics new life while preserving the original gun and stock to be reassembled later when the numbers have dwindled.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I used to be big on milsurp sporters because it was economical. However, I do not know who in their right mind would cut up a milsurp in good condition. I have a Chinese T53 that will stay normal because its in excellent condition. However, I have had Mausers, other Mosins, Arisaka, etc that were already trashed and I had plans for. Its a little too easy to pick up project guns because they are so cheap. Ive finished a couple, namely the MKIII Enfield I got as a sporter barreled action at the house currently (sweet rifle). Thats the only way I can justify sporterizing a relic is if its incomplete or screwed up to begin with. As far as AKs and such go, I challenge you to find any modern military rifle like an AK or an FAL or something of that nature that is an original gun with history behind it. I have an L1A1 FAL that is a hell of a rifle, but a complete mutt.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't understand fascination for scopes and fancy plastic(y) stocks. It seems like people can't enjoy what they have and try to compensate for lack of shooting skills. Is that it? Or is it, "hey, look what I can do!"? Just remember, No one will ever think that rice'ed up Civic is as cool as you think it is.

(OP - my statement is a broad one, as there's been a rash of these threads)

Oh, and how do you reliably mount a scope to a MN without damaging it? Are you modifying the bolt, too?

Just get a MN, enjoy it, as is. Get a Rem700 or Savage and mount a scope on that and enjoy it.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I don't understand fascination for scopes and fancy plastic(y) stocks. It seems like people can't enjoy what they have and try to compensate for lack of shooting skills. Is that it? Or is it, "hey, look what I can do!"? Just remember, No one will ever think that rice'ed up Civic is as cool as you think it is.

(OP - my statement is a broad one, as there's been a rash of these threads)

Oh, and how do you reliably mount a scope to a MN without damaging it? Are you modifying the bolt, too?

Just get a MN, enjoy it, as is. Get a Rem700 or Savage and mount a scope on that and enjoy it.

Ive found that you can get into a cheap modern rifle cheaper than you can get into a sporterized milsurp (assuming it hasnt been hacked already). The attraction is that there is a huge aftermarket for milsurps and its tempting to put together one with modern features you like. Unfortunately, there is not much out there showing the true advantage of getting a cheap, modern rifle vs an old milsurp.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Right! Looking at modifications for large caliber rifles, the mosin is #1 on the list. A ruger 10/22 has more options, but in a .22 caliber? This is also why I pick the Mosin in the first place. It is cheap as well, with a much less rich and important history than most milsurps. This is only in reference to pre or post war again of course. As for a plastic stock: I hate those as well. I am looking at something like a bluegrass stock company stock which are true art pieces. The Mosin can be mage to be quite accurate at long ranges and the surplus ammo is so much cheaper than buying ammo for any modern sporter. Still the idea of buying a bubba-fied, kitchen gunsmithed, hacked up tortured rifle is a much better option than changing an original. That is very likely what I will end up doing. Thank you all for your input. I know this can be a touchy subject and I appreciate all of the calm answers and level headed advice!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Right! Looking at modifications for large caliber rifles, the mosin is #1 on the list. A ruger 10/22 has more options, but in a .22 caliber? This is also why I pick the Mosin in the first place. It is cheap as well, with a much less rich and important history than most milsurps. This is only in reference to pre or post war again of course. As for a plastic stock: I hate those as well. I am looking at something like a bluegrass stock company stock which are true art pieces. The Mosin can be mage to be quite accurate at long ranges and the surplus ammo is so much cheaper than buying ammo for any modern sporter. Still the idea of buying a bubba-fied, kitchen gunsmithed, hacked up tortured rifle is a much better option than changing an original. That is very likely what I will end up doing. Thank you all for your input. I know this can be a touchy subject and I appreciate all of the calm answers and level headed advice!
    I must respectfully disagree with this statement The Mosin probably has one of the MOST rich and important histories of any of the milsurps, with the possible exception of the Mauser. If I'm not mistaken, it was the longest-serving military rifle ever.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Personally, I think people "sporterize" a Mosin for the cartridge it uses, it's availability and is on the cheap.

7.62x54R: ~$0.22/rnd
    308: ~$0.72/rnd

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I must respectfully disagree with this statement The Mosin probably has one of the MOST rich and important histories of any of the milsurps, with the possible exception of the Mauser. If I'm not mistaken, it was the longest-serving military rifle ever.

I'm going to agree with this. The ONLY reason Mosins are cheap is because they are available. It was mentioned above that 91/30s a few years ago were selling for $70, it wasn't all that much longer ago that M38s and M44s could be bought all day long for that, now look at what they bring. Then before that Finn M27s, 28s and 39s were available for less than $50. Even a postwar rifle could have a bunch of history. Prague Spring and Hungarian Uprising come to mind. Not to mention the little dustups in Korea and Vietnam.
    Now, a non-permanent alteration I can see doing, especially from the standpoint of protecting certain parts, such as the stock, as long as the original parts are kept so it can be returned to original configuration.

Also, this is for anybody who wants to permanently alter an older firearm of any type. Before you break out the hacksaw and sandpaper, be damn sure on what it is you are fixing to chop. I've seen way too many highly collectible, very valuable firearms become basically worthless because somebody thought 'It's just an old rifle, not worth anything". Even within the Mosin family, there are certain dates, arsenals, and models that are worth considerable more $ than others. Even something as simple as a small stamp can double, triple, and even quadruple the value over the exact same rifle without that mark. An example, take a M44. They go for $200, give or take for most. Now let's make it a 1943 dated M44. Now its over $300. Let's add an Finn property mark, and you can add another couple of hundred.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That is an excellent idea, I agree, and one I had never considered before. The point of my question was what the problem would be with temporarily changing one over with an eventual goal of putting it back to its original state. And specifically referring to a non WWII model Mosin. My comment about the history of that rifle was directed toward sloughfoot. But people do this constantly with AK-47s and nobody bats an eye. Why?

My guess is that it's because AK-47s are still being made? :dunno:

Also the "AK-47" you buy today is a newly made just for the U.S. market rifle that just looks like a Kalashnikov. Price a real one, if you can even find one for sale.

Top Bottom