• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Oooh, didn't realize they were producing a 3" Python. I find a 3" bbl .357 an attractive and nicely balanced firearm. Still get a full-length ejector rod, but just every so slightly quicker to handle/draw than a 4" bbl.

But man, my mind is still struggling to catch up with inflation - $1500 sure seems like a lot for a revolver, even a nice one. But heck, Ruger Redhawk's MSRP is over $1K now. Buy once, cry once...but I'd want that to be a regularly shot and carried gun - too salty for me to just be a range gun.

Post pics if you get one!

Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder, but you don't have to spend $1500 to get a quality revolver. I purchased this S&W used, back in the fall of '21, from a GB sale. I think most revolver owners would agree it's a decent quality revolver.

I spent $800 on this one. I post this for info only, not to hijack the thread. I've never owned a Colt Python.

SW 586.jpg

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Back when I was in jr. high (70's), I recall my friend's brother had a Python "set" in a suitcase with 3-4 diff barrels. Was I dreaming?

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Your money, spend it how you want.

I've spent around $6k on the last 4 firearms I've purchased.....but I wouldn't have bought even one of them if I had to raid my retirement to do so. I wouldn't call you dumb based on your taste in weapons (a Python is a mechanical piece of art), but your financial priorities may be misaligned.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Pythons, in my experience, have only gone up in price. I can remember them @ 279$(yes, I'm THAT old)new. So they are 5x that now. Not a bad investment that you can enjoy.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I think investment value will come down to what generation yours was made. 55-05 will always be the preferred years.
    I have heard the new AR retros are really experiencing poor QC. Maybe CZ has things under control. I hope so.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Back when I was in jr. high (70's), I recall my friend's brother had a Python "set" in a suitcase with 3-4 diff barrels. Was I dreaming?
    Look something like this?

yZJElhi.jpg

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Been wanting to add a 3” 357 to my collection. Have the money, but keep going back to want vs needs. I sure want it, but can’t convince myself I need it as it would most likely be in the safe. My Highway Patrolman 6” barrel that I bought new probably doesn’t have 300 rounds through it, but they were 300 fun rounds!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Been wanting to add a 3” 357 to my collection. Have the money, but keep going back to want vs needs. I sure want it, but can’t convince myself I need it as it would most likely be in the safe. My Highway Patrolman 6” barrel that I bought new probably doesn’t have 300 rounds through it, but they were 300 fun rounds!
    I wish I could convince myself that I don`t "need" the Colt Python, but damn, every time I see the thing, I want it. I think I want it in 4" though...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've lusted after a Python since I was a kid and seeing them on the cover of Guns and Ammo, but there's no way I would pay what they're going for now. It's not pretty, but I already own a revolver that is higher quality than the Pythons ever were. Manurhin MR73.

View attachment 178375
    I've wanted one of those for years.
    Aimsurplus.com had them about 4-5 years ago iirc. They were police trade-in and they sold them for around $700. Problem was I was to late finding out and they sold out before I could get one myself.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yeah I know. Our mutual hobby can create quite an obsession issue.
    I don’t own a wheel gun so I’m very motivated to get one some day.
    You gots to get a wheel gun!!!! Almost totally reliable, totally fun, and it's how the west was won!!!! I have 1 Colt revolver.....got a little age on her, 1937 Colt Trooper from my great-grandfather. Ruger and Smiths make great editions, totally reliable truck or JEEP :patriot: guns!!! My wife's favorite is a 9 shot Stainless Taurus with adjustable sites. My 80+ year old neighbor calls her "Annie Oakley"......I call her the great snake slayer!!!!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My LGS has had a few of the new Colt Python 4" at a much cheaper tag than what you are talking about. They can be had affordably. Start a conversation to find out the price, he could get in trouble if I post it...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will buy the first Python that shows up in my LGS (you would have thought they would have by now, but the King Cobra just showed up a few months ago). I go in once a week to see what they have.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    You gots to get a wheel gun!!!! Almost totally reliable, totally fun, and it's how the west was won!!!! I have 1 Colt revolver.....got a little age on her, 1937 Colt Trooper from my great-grandfather. Ruger and Smiths make great editions, totally reliable truck or JEEP :patriot: guns!!! My wife's favorite is a 9 shot Stainless Taurus with adjustable sites. My 80+ year old neighbor calls her "Annie Oakley"......I call her the great snake slayer!!!!
    Totally agree with you. The Ruger Redhawk has been one that caught my eye a while back.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Totally agree with you. The Ruger Redhawk has been one that caught my eye a while back.
    Nice thing about Ruger revolvers, over built. Yes a little heavy, but heavy is good at taming 357 and 44 magnums. The newer Redhawks come with cut outs for their scope rings.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder, but you don't have to spend $1500 to get a quality revolver. I purchased this S&W used, back in the fall of '21, from a GB sale. I think most revolver owners would agree it's a decent quality revolver.

I spent $800 on this one. I post this for info only, not to hijack the thread. I've never owned a Colt Python.

View attachment 178534

Wow, that's a beautiful S&W. Is it a 586 4"? What dash? I haven't seen one like that in a long time...nice grab!

But, it would be hard to not put down a 3" Python once you saw it either. They sure look awesome.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Wow, that's a beautiful S&W. Is it a 586 4"? What dash? I haven't seen one like that in a long time...nice grab!

But, it would be hard to not put down a 3" Python once you saw it either. They sure look awesome.

Thanks ffjohn. Yes, it's a 4", dash 4. It actually looks better in person, and I was happy to find it. There's still deals to be had if you keep your eyes open, but I was told I paid too much by an old timer friend of mine who hasn't followed the market!

As to the Python (any Python), I don't think I'd turn one down. They've just normally been above my pay grade, so I didn't look seriously at them. They must be outstanding, for what people pay for them, and I'm good with that too.

Top Bottom