• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    hi everyone. first post for me. i know some people may have a negative mind set on spotlighting(shining) deer but i really enjoy it and do it very often. i know the dnr says it is legal as long as you carry no firearms or bows or etc. my question is basically can i carry in any form at all while i shine if i have a ltch. thanks for responses and if no one is for sure please help me find the direction to look for a correct answer. thanks again

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Taken from the DNR website:

Spotlighting
    It is illegal to shine a spotlight, searchlight or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take or assisting another person to take a deer, or to shine such a light while in possession of a firearm, bow or crossbow. It also is illegal for a person to deliberately cast a spotlight or other artificial light from a motor vehicle if in possession of a loaded firearm, bow and arrow or crossbow.

So it doesn't matter if you possess an LTCH. You think city cops are ruthless, draw the attention of a Conservation Officer and see how well you do.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    They must have changed that recently. If I remember right (and might be remembering wrong) it used to say "weapon", not just firearm, bow, or crossbow. When me and dad used to cruise looking for deer we made sure we didn't even have pocketknives on us just to be safe... It was our understanding anything with over a 3" blade could be considered a "weapon" at the time... Seems like the wording has been made more specific now...

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Honestly by law you cant. But, I would call DNR tomorrow and ask them and express your concerns about how this is actually going against the 2nd amendment! I hunt, so I try to do everything I can not to do wrong. I have too much money and time invested to screw up!!!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    To answer the OP: yes, you can carry anything you want while spotlighting deer. Take along shotguns, rifles, pistols, what have you. If you get pulled over by a CO you'll get busted for poaching. Enjoy.

IMHO: There is no reason for spotlighting deer other than poaching. If you are out doing that while armed you are poaching.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    You think city cops are ruthless, draw the attention of a Conservation Officer and see how well you do.

No kidding.

Coaltrain, you started this thread an hour ago, and it has already engendered enough attention that you should be extremely nervous.

Before you start another thread extolling the virtues of doing something illegal and unethical, spend some time learning proper sentence structure and Conventions of writing.

Welcome to :ingo:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Honestly by law you cant. But, I would call DNR tomorrow and ask them and express your concerns about how this is actually going against the 2nd amendment!

The 2nd Amendment was written to give the citizens of the US the right to keep and bear arms. I doubt it was written to give **** poor hunters an unfair advantage when it came to locating game. If you can't find it on your own in the daylight, you shouldn't be allowed to hunt. How would you like it if a deer and some of his deer buddies rolled up on you and shined a spotlight in your face and then blasted you in the gut? Its a good thing humans eyes don't reflect light.

I take my kids spotlighting all the time. They realy enjoy seeing all the different animals that come out at night and keeping a count of how many deer we see :dunno:

Theres a big difference between spotlighting game for educational purposes and spotlighting game for hunting purposes.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I talked to a CO at the State Fair and he said that it is legal to spotlight deer as long as you have your license with you. He said it was illegal with the intent on taking a deer not just observing. This was confirmed by an other CO standing next to him.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    To answer the OP: yes, you can carry anything you want while spotlighting deer. Take along shotguns, rifles, pistols, what have you. If you get pulled over by a CO you'll get busted for poaching. Enjoy.

IMHO: There is no reason for spotlighting deer other than poaching. If you are out doing that while armed you are poaching.

Not to mention that ya loose all firearms and even the vehicle your driving.

I know someone who "lost" a brand new 4x4 wrecker about 30 years ago doing this. It cost a fortune to get it back.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    ok thanks for the answers. i thought it was illegal but as i am just getting my ltch i thought id find out a little more info. those of you that think that spotlighting is only for poachers looking to find an easy kill you are incorrect. many younger folks that live in rural areas do this instead of doing drugs or other illegal activities most kids do. i see no issue with it ive never attempted to or thought about taking an animal this way. also if you are a deer hunter you know most large bucks are nocturnal and this is the best way to see them. and to armed and christian 1. im not to interested in sentence structure nor conventions of writing(which is obvious) 2. learn that spotlighting for recreation not for sport isnt unethical nor illegal(per dnr). thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Spotlighting is legal. With a firearm it is not legal.

Heck I scout with a light (only headlights) every morning going down the road.

It also used to be illegal to have a handgun on your person while bowhunting ltch or not. that is no longer true. It is changing this year or next on loaded weapons after sunset or before sunrise. Things change. Maybe this will pass away some day. Maybe the NRA or some lawfirm with a group or LTCH spotlight scouters will challenge the law.

I can;t afford a new truck/gun and loss of hunting and handgun rights so I will just leave it (the spotlight) at home.

I do not even go coyote hunting at night until the end of firearms season on the chance that someone might think i am poaching deer.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hey coaltrain444

I think there are tons of people that spotlight deer for fun, recreation, scouting, and the fact that they are out at night. I have relatives that do it every year. doubt that many people who spotlight are poachers. It only takes one person poaching to make others think everyone that does it is a poacher.

I don't use proper sentence structure, or spelling either. I could care less this is not a term paper it is a bulletin board system for people who live in Indiana and like guns.

If you think this thread is nuts stay away from the political threads.

Welcome aboard and ask as many questions as you would like here and remember that not all people think asking a question need to put slammed down to the mat like a bad guy character on a WWE program.

Once again ask all the questions you want or need to pertaining to carring or deer hunting and take all answers with a grain of salt or a blinding spotlight.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I talked to a CO at the State Fair and he said that it is legal to spotlight deer as long as you have your license with you. He said it was illegal with the intent on taking a deer not just observing. This was confirmed by an other CO standing next to him.

And it's perfectly legal to OC in your local schools if your child is enrolled there and you have your LTCH in a clear holder next to your gun.

Frank pretty much posted the exact law. Remember it won't always be those two C.O. out working. One that actually knows the law will be the one to catch you and charge you. Judge and the prosecutor sure in the hell won't care what a couple C.O.'s may or may not of said at the State Fair. They're going to go by what's in the book.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ok thanks for the answers. i thought it was illegal but as i am just getting my ltch i thought id find out a little more info. those of you that think that spotlighting is only for poachers looking to find an easy kill you are incorrect. many younger folks that live in rural areas do this instead of doing drugs or other illegal activities most kids do. i see no issue with it ive never attempted to or thought about taking an animal this way. also if you are a deer hunter you know most large bucks are nocturnal and this is the best way to see them. and to armed and christian 1. im not to interested in sentence structure nor conventions of writing(which is obvious) 2. learn that spotlighting for recreation not for sport isnt unethical nor illegal(per dnr). thanks

Sorry a lot of people assumed you were poaching; some of these guys have hair triggers and some of them slip off the half-cock notch.

It may be that the Conservation Officer might not charge you if there was no intent to hunt the deer, but as I read the law, intent doesn't matter. Merely possessing one of the prohibited items while spotlighting deer is illegal.

It's kind of like schools and day care centers. Simple possession of a firearm in either is a felony. It doesn't even matter that you didn't know it was a day care (or school, or school function), if you're found with a gun, you can be charged and convicted.

My advice, no gun, etc. If you're concerned about varmints or goblins, carry a strong pepper spray.

Top Bottom