• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    And this thread is exactly why I stopped asking honest questions. People jump down your throat, treat you like you're a criminal. Then when they find out you were just honestly curious, they finally give you the answers that you deserved in the first place.

Do I spotlight deer? Yes. Do I ever have any intention of poaching a deer? NO! Most outdoorsman like seeing animals in their natural habitat, and simply enjoy the beauty of a large buck. And, it's called scouting.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Well sorry I stirred the pot. I was honestly curious about it. As far as making people mad about spotlighting we never shine a house barn or any structure. Me and a friend lost our hunting place this year so we web down to one of the properties we shine and see tons of deer. We talked to the guy about hunting for about 2 hours. He said no we couldn't because he has alot of family hunting it but while we were there we asked if our shining bothered him he said no. He said that often he sat on his porch with binoculars and just watched our light to see where the deer are at. Besides that most people that poach in our area do it in broad daylight as they done it so long and ain't been caught. I'm not saying this is ok I believe poachers should be strung up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. If you want to spotlight deer, ensure that you are out of your vehicle or use your headlights.

They're going to go by what's in the book.

Alrighty then, let's look at the statute:

IC 14-22-6-7

Jacklighting prohibited

Sec. 7. (a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not knowingly throw or cast the rays of any spotlight or other artificial light:
    (1) not required by law on a motor vehicle; and
    (2) in search of or upon any wild bird or wild animal;
    from a vehicle while the person possesses a firearm, bow, or crossbow, if by throwing or casting the rays a wild bird or wild animal could be killed. This subsection applies even though the animal is not killed, injured, shot at, or otherwise pursued.
    (c) A person may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals, with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.
    (d) A person may not shine a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take, or assisting another person to take a deer.

2. You need not be a poacher to enjoy spotlighting deer. Maybe you have nephews to entertain, just get out of the car.

Just because you are male does not make you a rapist. Just because you are an IMPD officer does not make you a drunk driver.

Just because you are spotlighting deer does not make you a poacher.

3. I enjoyed spotlighting/"shining" deer this summer at Spring Mill. My nephews and I had a very nice time.

If a DNR CO wants to give me crap about carrying my guns, I'll tell him to jam it sideways.:D

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    BTW, the state parks put out salt licks so people can come out and "shine" deer.

Eddie, it's cheap family-friendly entertainment. Just because someone can do something criminal does not mean that they want to do it or will do it. See, e.g., males+rape.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    BTW, the state parks put out salt licks so people can come out and "shine" deer.

Eddie, it's cheap family-friendly entertainment. Just because someone can do something criminal does not mean that they want to do it or will do it. See, e.g., males+rape.

Like I said, perhaps I am jaded by my personal experiences. "Shining Deer" seems to be the generic excuse for folks to be out late at night poaching or stealing. I can't recall personally ever seeing someone doing it for fun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look at what IDNR has in its hunting manual:

It is illegal to shine a spotlight, searchlight
    or other artificial light for the purpose of
    taking, attempting to take or assisting another
    person to take a deer, or to shine such
    a light while in possession of a firearm, bow
    or crossbow. (see how they snuck that in to expand
    the law and their authority? Like parts of the IAC
    they hope to keep repeating it will make it happen).
    It also is illegal for a person to deliberately
    cast a spotlight or other artificial light from
    a motor vehicle if in possession of a loaded

firearm, bow and arrow or crossbow

Now, look at the Jacklighting statute:

See how IDNR is attempting to expand the statute?

This is akin to Kirk's First Law but this is just an example of a bureaucracy attempting to expand its authority without having to pass a new law. It isn't the law, but as earlier posters stated, people are terrified of DNR and will just meekly submit OR not engage in the legal behavior that the bureaucracy desires to prohibit.

This is very disgusting to me as it is the triumph of the Rule of Man, not the Rule of Law.

Deliberately misstating the law--not just for prosecutors, or breakfast, anymore.

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    This thread and everybody here is so full of BS. This has been discussed before, and one of our lawyer friends on INGO has carefully examined the actual IN state code (not what the DNR says) regarding this, and has determined that it is perfectly legal to spotlight deer while carrying a firearm. I'll be back with a link, until then, stop trying to pretend that you know and understand the law by spreading misinformation.

ETA, and here it is folks.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing_deer_while_in_possesion_of_a_handgun.html
    Just don't do it from a motor vehicle and it's 100% legal to do.
    Thread over...
    [close thread]

Sorry I made an ASS of myself and ASSumed he was meaning from his vehicle since most of the people out spot lighting are doing it from their vehicle.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Perception is reality here.

Case in point. If you get caught behind the milk cow standing on the milking stool tying her tail to a rafter with the cow wearing hobbles because she kept kicking the bucket and swatting you with her tail and you've forgotten to button your fly they ain't gonna believe that milking was the intention.:D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Case in point. If you get caught behind the milk cow standing on the milking stool tying her tail to a rafter with the cow wearing hobbles because she kept kicking the bucket and swatting you with her tail and you've forgotten to button your fly they ain't gonna believe that milking was the intention.:D

You sound like you speak from experience.:laugh:

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg

I think your question was a good one; it was some of the responses that were "questionable."

It absolutely was a good question, and one that gets asked at every hunter safety course I've been to. The canned answer is usually it's up to the stopping officer to determine if you were attempting to poach, or just watching deer. I think it's funny to hear some city cops who think that if you're shining deer, then obviously you're trying to shoot them. Around here, I know even the cops shine deer with their cruiser search lights, and I know they have a gun on them. Maybe ill make it a point to print out some of these responses and make a citizens arrest.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It absolutely was a good question, and one that gets asked at every hunter safety course vie been to. The canned answer is usually it's up to the stopping officer to determine if you were attempting to poach, or just watching deer. I thunk it's funny to hear some city cops who think that if you're shining deer, then obviously you're trying to shoot them. Around here, I know even the cops shine deer with their cruiser search lights, and I know they have a gun on them. Maybe ill make it a point to print out some of these responses and make a citizens arrest.

If you do that I've got $10 for your bail or medical bills, whichever! :D

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I saw you shining a light at that deer 100 yards away. You were going to shoot it with that .38 snub nose revolver in your ankle holster. Step out of the car please.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Ok so I have another question. Well a couple actually. Hopefully I don't get bashed for this question. Ok here goes. I have a .45 acp pistol and my understanding is that it is illegal to hunt deer with this caliber. My question is with a ltch can I carry this into the woods with me if I don't use it for hunting. Is it carryable in all seasons or just firearms or none at all. Thanks I'm just getting ready to get my ltch and I'm trying to cover all situations I might encounter.

Top Bottom