• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Have a twin rifle #6104, made in 1894 with a near perfect bore. Did some searching around and finally found some brass and loaded up a hundred rounds with 220gr. round nose and IMR 4350 and got 3" groups at 100 yards. Kind of neat to have a rifle that's 123 years old legal to hunt deer with. Have no idea what the value of those things are in today's market. Any ideas ?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have a twin rifle #6104, made in 1894 with a near perfect bore. Did some searching around and finally found some brass and loaded up a hundred rounds with 220gr. round nose and IMR 4350 and got 3" groups at 100 yards. Kind of neat to have a rifle that's 123 years old legal to hunt deer with. Have no idea what the value of those things are in today's market. Any ideas ?

Real, unmolested Krags are going for around 700 - 1000 for the rifles and even higher for the carbines. That's why I decided to take a closer look at sporterized rifles. I just made 50 more rounds for mine using 303 British brass. Run it through the 30-40 sizing die, anneal the neck and shoulder, prime and load, then fire form in your rifle. A lot cheaper than buying "real" brass or buying commercial ammo. I've just been using 147 gr. FMJ bullets so far, but I've got some 180 grain soft points on the way.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I just made 50 more rounds for mine using 303 British brass. Run it through the 30-40 sizing die, anneal the neck and shoulder, prime and load, then fire form in your rifle. A lot cheaper than buying "real" brass or buying commercial ammo. I've just been using 147 gr. FMJ bullets so far, but I've got some 180 grain soft points on the way.

ens_parker-gee.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

If yours truly was made in 1894, then if the information in this link is correct, you have a pretty rare rifle there. It would have had to have been a Model 1892 prototype, which eventually evolved into the 1896 carbine. They didn't begin tooling up for the 1896 until June of 1895. As tempting as it may be, I don't know if I could bring myself to take it out in the woods hunting (although you're right, it would be cool :cool:).

https://www.newmarketarms.com/sprin...-rough-riders-serial-number-range-p-1186.html

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If yours truly was made in 1894, then if the information in this link is correct, you have a pretty rare rifle there. It would have had to have been a Model 1892 prototype, which eventually evolved into the 1896 carbine. They didn't begin tooling up for the 1896 until June of 1895. As tempting as it may be, I don't know if I could bring myself to take it out in the woods hunting (although you're right, it would be cool :cool:).

https://www.newmarketarms.com/sprin...-rough-riders-serial-number-range-p-1186.html

I bought it a few years ago from a fellow in Mooresville who was cleaning out some pieces he had and no longer had any interest in this particular rifle. Just thought it would be nice to have something in that old Krag action. Finally figured out how to remove the bolt and when I got back in, in sank in why I like the '03's, and new rifles as far as removing the bolt. What a pain that was! No wonder it's service life was short. It's been sporterized with the '03 front sight and Redfield on the rear. Obvious a Bannerman special but still a little bit special. As I'm on the wrong side of 70 now, and the majority of my deer have been taken at under 50 yards, and the rules have been changed I'll take it out as a primary one of these years. Too bad it's not in it's original shape, but after reading on different pages it makes sense how such a low number got in with all the rest and sold out to be cut down. The nice bore was what made me pull out my wallet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought it a few years ago from a fellow in Mooresville who was cleaning out some pieces he had and no longer had any interest in this particular rifle. Just thought it would be nice to have something in that old Krag action. Finally figured out how to remove the bolt and when I got back in, in sank in why I like the '03's, and new rifles as far as removing the bolt. What a pain that was! No wonder it's service life was short. It's been sporterized with the '03 front sight and Redfield on the rear. Obvious a Bannerman special but still a little bit special. As I'm on the wrong side of 70 now, and the majority of my deer have been taken at under 50 yards, and the rules have been changed I'll take it out as a primary one of these years. Too bad it's not in it's original shape, but after reading on different pages it makes sense how such a low number got in with all the rest and sold out to be cut down. The nice bore was what made me pull out my wallet.

Yeah, the bolt removal is different, but it's still not as bad as some I've seen (like French Berthiers - those are a pain). The 03 (Mauser) bolt is about as easy as it gets. Are you a member at Martinsville Conservation Club? Maybe we'll run into each other down there sometime. :yesway:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Yeah, member for a number of years now. Enjoy getting down there by myself early of a morning during warmer weather and shooting for groups.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just a fun Nerd stats about Krags

The Krag Rifle

in the above story...

[FONT=&amp]As an interesting aside, in spite of its "slow to reload" magazine, War Department records indicate that it was possible for a skilled shooter to fire 43 aimed shots in 2 minutes using the rifle as a magazine fed repeater and 42 shots in the same time as a single loader. These times were recently confirmed by a correspondent from Norway who informed me that in a national match the 3rd place winner got 27 hits at 100 and 200 meters in 50 seconds using a Krag rifle

----------------------------------------------------------

Now there you Go DD.. 1st time shooting your 1st Krag we never thought that reloading was that slow... But Here is a test.. You'll need 50 rounds for this test, you need to put that against a Mauser and its reloading and an Enfield and its reloading.. This would be an epic test.. To save ammo, might want to back it down to just a 1 min vs 2...

now one more step to go Single shot loading vs magazine loading... I remember the original Winchester vs Trapdoor reloading tests, the Trapdoor pretty much matched volume of fire over a 2 minute period.. need to test the Krag against a Trapdoor.. [/FONT]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a fun Nerd stats about Krags

The Krag Rifle

in the above story...

[FONT=&amp]As an interesting aside, in spite of its "slow to reload" magazine, War Department records indicate that it was possible for a skilled shooter to fire 43 aimed shots in 2 minutes using the rifle as a magazine fed repeater and 42 shots in the same time as a single loader. These times were recently confirmed by a correspondent from Norway who informed me that in a national match the 3rd place winner got 27 hits at 100 and 200 meters in 50 seconds using a Krag rifle

----------------------------------------------------------

Now there you Go DD.. 1st time shooting your 1st Krag we never thought that reloading was that slow... But Here is a test.. You'll need 50 rounds for this test, you need to put that against a Mauser and its reloading and an Enfield and its reloading.. This would be an epic test.. To save ammo, might want to back it down to just a 1 min vs 2...

now one more step to go Single shot loading vs magazine loading... I remember the original Winchester vs Trapdoor reloading tests, the Trapdoor pretty much matched volume of fire over a 2 minute period.. need to test the Krag against a Trapdoor.. [/FONT]

Only if the Mauser and Enfield don't get to use stripper clips... :) The Krag seems like it would be quick since you basically just chuck the rounds into the "box". It would be interesting to see how fast I can do it though.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Only if the Mauser and Enfield don't get to use stripper clips... :) The Krag seems like it would be quick since you basically just chuck the rounds into the "box". It would be interesting to see how fast I can do it though.

Yeah, I figured you would guff about stripper clips... If you take this a step further. Should the Krag loader have to have his ammo in a regulation belt, or loose in his pockets.. And if he had to use a belt which should he use..

Krag-jorgensenCartridgeBelt.jpg
    or
    ProdPhoto99645.jpg

Then take it to the Enfield or Mauser loader how are they carrying their extra clips, loose or in belt???

From what I have read GIs in the know kept their next clip in the packet and did not go to the Bandoleer or Belt.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Interesting discussion. I think the first load out would be identical and after that the stripper clips would win the sustained rate of fire challenge.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Interesting discussion. I think the first load out would be identical and after that the stripper clips would win the sustained rate of fire challenge.

In playing with the Krag It did seem the gun was fairly easy to toss rounds into.. If the extra Krag rounds were easy accessible (say loose in the pockets) I think rates of fire would be closer then Not..

This will have to fire DD into making sure he has enough reloads for a good test. With just the slightest goading he will bite, he lives to send large amounts of lead down range

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Finding 30-40 was challenging last year, still found enough to keep these eating. While the Krag is interesting to shoot, I prefer the Winchesters.

Top Bottom