• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Went shooting last night. The Springfield slide locked back properly every time. We did shoot Remington 9mms last time, last night was Winchester. So that may be the answer, although we did give the gun another cleaning, too. It performed flawlessly, but I did not! I didn't hit near as well as i did last weekend. Could be just tired or not in the right frame of mind, after working all day. Husband was more worried about it than me. He kept watching me, and saying we need to adjust the sights. He didn't hit well with it either, but he did well with his .45. I don't want to go messing around with sights until i shoot some more. Very likely it's just me!

I've found many of the Remington loads to be a bit soft, so it may have just been a bit underpowered.

Great looking gun.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    it feels a lot lighter and easier than my previous guns, but not light enough to feel unsafe. i feel pretty steady when squeezing the trigger. my husband and i both like it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    it feels a lot lighter and easier than my previous guns, but not light enough to feel unsafe. i feel pretty steady when squeezing the trigger. my husband and i both like it.

Glad you feel that way about yours!

My formerly-owned EMP had, to me, a VERY light trigger.

Granted, I wasn't at all used to single-action triggers on nice 1911s though. But I wholly blame the gun for 2-3 unintentional double-taps while at the range. I mean, it surely couldn't have been my unfamiliarity with the trigger... :whistle:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Beautiful Gun!!!
    Not all ammo is created equal.
    Some guns have their own taste buds as to what they like to eat.
    Being a new gun I wouldn't worry about it much.
    I'll bet after it's broken in good it'll be a great shooter and you'll find out what it likes to munch on.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Beautiful Gun!!!
    Not all ammo is created equal.
    Some guns have their own taste buds as to what they like to eat.
    Being a new gun I wouldn't worry about it much.
    I'll bet after it's broken in good it'll be a great shooter and you'll find out what it likes to munch on.

As another note: Mine didn't need any breaking-in period.

It did need a new slide...but that's a different story! :D

Mine HATED steel-cased ammo. Just keep that in mind when you come across the TulAmmo for sale at Walmart.

-J-

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Do you like the EMP that much more?
    Absolutely! I would have kept the Glock too, if money wasn't an issue, just because it's a Glock and the rep they have for dependability. And because I just liked it, but the EMP is much more fun to shoot. It just feels a lot smoother. I still look at it sometimes and can't believe it's mine.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    As another note: Mine didn't need any breaking-in period.

It did need a new slide...but that's a different story! :D

Mine HATED steel-cased ammo. Just keep that in mind when you come across the TulAmmo for sale at Walmart.

-J-
    I haven't seen that ammo yet. I've used Winchester, Remington, Blazer, Federal- just the cheap ones for plinking, but no aluminum. I haven't tried more Winchester since i went thru the first box, when the slide wouldn't lock back.
    I do have a question, since you mentioned your slide. When you are shooting, and the magazine is empty and the slide locks back, how do you reload? My husband has been telling me to leave it locked, release the mag, put the new one in, and release the slide lock to chamber a round, i used to pull back on the slide and press the release it at the same time. I saw in another thread a discussion that i think is about the same thing, but i'm not sure i understand. I just don't want to be doing something i shouldn't.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I haven't seen that ammo yet. I've used Winchester, Remington, Blazer, Federal- just the cheap ones for plinking, but no aluminum. I haven't tried more Winchester since i went thru the first box, when the slide wouldn't lock back.
    I do have a question, since you mentioned your slide. When you are shooting, and the magazine is empty and the slide locks back, how do you reload? My husband has been telling me to leave it locked, release the mag, put the new one in, and release the slide lock to chamber a round, i used to pull back on the slide and press the release it at the same time. I saw in another thread a discussion that i think is about the same thing, but i'm not sure i understand. I just don't want to be doing something i shouldn't.

On a 1911 pistol, proper technique to release the slide is to "sling shot" it. That is, when the slide's locked back, you grab the slide, pull to the rear a little bit to get the slide lock to drop, then let the slide ram home into battery.

-J-

Top Bottom