• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Yeah I can't agree to that either. I bought a DCM rifle off a collector a few years back that was all World War II parts. He ended up getting that rifle in the 90s from the DCM. If you read the Garand Collectors Association journals there are many collectors that got those types of guns from the DCM.

Not to mention a lot of collectors got some really nice M1-D from the DCM in their lottery they had in the 90s as well. I have seen the paperwork and the boxes they came in almost bought one a couple years ago.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    And here's a thought can we at least see some pictures of the OP rifle? I mean we can sit and discuss but it's hard to say what you have unless you post it up on here. And remember with national match rifles if there's no paperwork from the CMP or DCM it's hard to determine its real. It's no different with the M1-D rifles from the CMP they have to have the paperwork. Main reason to collectors is due to the amount of fakes out there. It would not be hard for someone to take a rifle that falls in the correct serial number range, put national match parts in it, and glass bend the stock. Legit paperwork national match rifles are expensive pieces they will sell between $4,000 and $5,000 or more to the right collector.

I'm not saying this rifle is fake or has been made up as a national match. I'm just giving the facts of what I've seen on the market.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    There are several grades of rifles sold by the CMP over the years, not to mention the DCM. So yeah, documentation is everything, a collector grade rifle can easily bring triple a rack grade. Not trying to be a smart butt, do I really have to explain this.

A DCM rifle would grade as a National Match. :rolleyes: As for the history of and what grade the OP's rifle really is, I have no idea and I'm 100% sure you don't either. Here's a thought, why not send the serial number to CMP and find out.

Never said DCM had only one grade, quite the opposite. An authentic, original, N/M M1 Garand would have been sold through the DCM. Not every DCM rifle was a N/M there where different grades.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    And here's a thought can we at least see some pictures of the OP rifle? I mean we can sit and discuss but it's hard to say what you have unless you post it up on here. And remember with national match rifles if there's no paperwork from the CMP or DCM it's hard to determine its real. It's no different with the M1-D rifles from the CMP they have to have the paperwork. Main reason to collectors is due to the amount of fakes out there. It would not be hard for someone to take a rifle that falls in the correct serial number range, put national match parts in it, and glass bend the stock. Legit paperwork national match rifles are expensive pieces they will sell between $4,000 and $5,000 or more to the right collector.

I'm not saying this rifle is fake or has been made up as a national match. I'm just giving the facts of what I've seen on the market.

:yesway: I think we are saying the same thing. :)

Last edited:

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Ok this sound like this was a former match rifle or was never completely finished as one. Even though this is not a full match rifle its still a 6 million serial numbered made Garand. With quite possibly all the correct parts for that production year. Like I said before these Garands are quite desirable too the big Garand collectors. If your a big collector of the Garand rifle your collection doesn't feel complete until you have one of the last ones made. Shows an end of era.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My 6 mil Springfield from CMP came with NM barrel and NM stamped operating rod. It did not come with USGI stock. A lot of info over on CMP forum, be worth researching it there. My gun came with NM parts, but it wasnt an actual NM built rifle. It shoots good, nice rifle

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My goodness, this sounds a lot like the fancy pony threads about how Colt receivers are better'n anybody else's!

This:
    Sounds like another rifle that needs to be shot.

...and this:

How does it shoot?

...are all you need to worry with.

See if it shoots like a Match rifle. If it does, then it's "match", whether it was marked that way or not.

If you CAN'T see whether it does or not, look on the bright side: you still have something else to worry about! :D

-Nate

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    yes s/n is in the stock channel . actually only the last 4 numbers

This may have been mentioned elsewhere here, but IHC(International Harvester) stocks are usually the only Garand stocks with the number stamped in the barrel channel? The again, I am not at all familiar with NM Garand markings? Just laying this info out there for consideration by the masses.
    :)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    My goodness, this sounds a lot like the fancy pony threads about how Colt receivers are better'n anybody else's!

This:

...and this:

...are all you need to worry with.

See if it shoots like a Match rifle. If it does, then it's "match", whether it was marked that way or not.

If you CAN'T see whether it does or not, look on the bright side: you still have something else to worry about! :D

-Nate

OP read these carefully. Buy a bucket of HXP, buy a USGI loop sling, and shoot this thing till you are 4moa and then worry about the other stuff.

Top Bottom