• Which one?

• Total voters

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I sold mine after I found they required more attention than I could give them in order to keep the group sizes where I was happy.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? What sort of attention?

One of the big issues is timing the gas lock, if it needs it mine does not , a shim kit can be bought reasonably.
    Springfield has a great warranty if you need it.
    go here M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles for the shim kit, and anything else you can think of for an M1A. Bunch of great guys over there that will help you out anyway they can.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd build or buy a 308 AR. There's no standard for 308s so some things are kind of a weird fit of what will work and what won't but that's just part of the game.

In my experience though, DPMS tend to be heavy. They over machine their receivers, quad rails, barrels, everything. S&W, CMMG, and Armalite (most of them) seem to be lighter than a DPMS. Plus with DPMS you have to pay attention to a high tang upper and a low tang upper if you want to change forearms to a CMMG, Midwest Industries, Troy, BRO, etc.

Still they're fun and more versatile than a M1A IMO.

Technically speaking though, DPMS does not make an AR-10. They make a LR308 or a 308 AR. Amralite are the ones who make the true AR-10.

Why not an 18" 300 blk and not have to get used to a whole new weapon system ? I know the DPMS is an AR but the M1 just seems like for what it is and does , there are better options.

Distance shooting and power, how does a 300 blackout compare to a 308 at 500 yards?

Doesn't most 300blk turd out at 150 yards?

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    M1A

I'm a little biased :D

m14ebr_zps60055543.jpg

drooling_homer-712749.gif2.png

Is that a national match in the EBR?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only AR pattern 308 battle riffle I would be interested in right now is the Colt 901.

I have an M1A and it shoots pretty good but I've also got an itch to modify it. It wants a stock and a lot of Sadlak parts. It doesn't "need" them. It "wants" them. :cool:

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'd build or buy a 308 AR. There's no standard for 308s so some things are kind of a weird fit of what will work and what won't but that's just part of the game.

In my experience though, DPMS tend to be heavy. They over machine their receivers, quad rails, barrels, everything. S&W, CMMG, and Armalite (most of them) seem to be lighter than a DPMS. Plus with DPMS you have to pay attention to a high tang upper and a low tang upper if you want to change forearms to a CMMG, Midwest Industries, Troy, BRO, etc.

Still they're fun and more versatile than a M1A IMO.

Technically speaking though, DPMS does not make an AR-10. They make a LR308 or a 308 AR. Amralite are the ones who make the true AR-10.

Distance shooting and power, how does a 300 blackout compare to a 308 at 500 yards?

Doesn't most 300blk turd out at 150 yards?
    Subsonic is still relevant out to 200 yards IMO. Maybe that's where you got your number. Supersonic is still good past 800 yards though. Again, IMO. I'm sure some people shoot it further.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Why not an 18" 300 blk and not have to get used to a whole new weapon system ? I know the DPMS is an AR but the M1 just seems like for what it is and does , there are better options.

As mentioned in the other post, a 147gr bullet in 300BLK out of an 18" barrel is travelling at about the same velocity as that same bullet at 300+ yards shot from a .308. If you can get 2000FPS in a 147gr bullet out of the 300BLK, you are doing pretty good. I'm a big fan of the 300BLK, but in no way does it compare to the .308 / 7.62 Nato round.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Is that a national match in the EBR?

Yes sir. :D

Originally I was gonna keep this one stock and get another NM or maybe a SOCOM to put in the SAGE, but I got impatient and decided to do it with this one.
    Gonna add a Smith Vortex flash hider and possibly get the bbl coated and I'm done.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yes sir. :D

Originally I was gonna keep this one stock and get another NM or maybe a SOCOM to put in the SAGE, but I got impatient and decided to do it with this one.
    Gonna add a Smith Vortex flash hider and possibly get the bbl coated and I'm done.

Its interesting you posted that pic because along with the millions of other things I want to build, that setup is EXACTLY what I pictured building for a 308 100% (other than the camo). Stainless barrel would be perfect on a black sage.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Its interesting you posted that pic because along with the millions of other things I want to build, that setup is EXACTLY what I pictured building for a 308 100% (other than the camo). Stainless barrel would be perfect on a black sage.
    Yeah, I only got the camo one because it's one of the rarer colors out there for the sage

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Had to go M1A. My SOCOM 16 now lives in a FDE Troy MCS with a handful of MagPul accessories added. I have to add some sort of glass to it... But just can't decide what it needs. The M1A action is timeless and you will never get tired of putting rounds through it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel, but I'm not a fan of the .308 cartridge anyway. Its not bad at anything, but not great at anything either.

Top Bottom