• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I have the funds to purchase a new handgun, and after much deliberation, I have chosen the XDm in 9mm.

I like just about everything that has to do with this gun.

I would like to open up and hear what people who actually own it have to say about the gun.

What are the positives and negatives?

Thanks

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I have the funds to purchase a new handgun, and after much deliberation, I have chosen the XDm in 9mm.

I like just about everything that has to do with this gun.

I would like to open up and hear what people who actually own it have to say about the gun.

What are the positives and negatives?

Thanks
    Love my XDM compact 9mm...more than 800 rounds thru mine with ZERO issues whatsoever. The tear down and clean is super simple too. I heard a lot of talk before getting mine about some guys not liking the grip safety, but I really like it, I think that it is just a matter of opinion, which is fine. It was very easy to get used to, super accurate, or as accurate as I can be I guess I should say. I'd buy another one and actually I've thought about it, in a non-compact.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have only one problem with mine, it is not a 1911, I am not bashing it in any way, mine has performed flawlessly in the 500 rounds I have put through her and she is as accurate as I am but after buying 3 1911s I have come to realize that is what I love to shoot.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hundreds and hundreds of rounds down the pipe of mine, never had an issue. Great guns.

A bit big for CC, but it will fit a regular XD9 4"holster like a blade tech, even if it does stick out the bottom a tad. It's doable for CC but I'd rather have a regular XD9 4" for daily carry... and I do ;) The XD9 has thousands of rounds thru it. If I had to guess around 4k at this point, possibly 5. I can't say at this point, lol.

One of my regular range mags for it won't lock the slide back any longer. That's a mag issue and it just started in the past 500ish rounds. It's getting more frequent. Did it about 60% of the time today as opposed to 10% a few months back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Have the new XDM's came out yet? I remember them talking about upgrading em, wondering if thats happened yet or if OP should wait a little

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The very first gun I ever bought was a full size XDm in 9mm. It was a great gun and I'm glad I made that my choice for first purchase. It's a great gun and you should be pleased with it.

I've since sold that one, but I still have a full size XDm in .40.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Have the new XDM's came out yet? I remember them talking about upgrading em, wondering if thats happened yet or if OP should wait a little

I was told at the local gun shop that a lot of the jamming issues with the previous 9mm and .40 models have been resolved. I don't know if that would be an official upgrade, but its nice to know.

Also with the xdm .40, I am aware you can convert to 9mm and 357sig. That's really cool, but I am more comfortable with a 9mm, carrying and shooting, so that is what I'll be predominately shooting, if I were to do the conversion. I believe to convert the .40 to 9mm, you just replace the barrel and mags, is this correct? If so, what is the price?
    And would it be worth it to buy the .40 and the 9mm conversion kit if I would be shooting 9mm 90% of the time.
    Finally, what is the size difference between the .40 and 9mm models?

Thanks all!

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I've put roughly 2k rounds thru my XDm-9 4.5". I've never personally had any problems, used Hoppes and Break Free CLP cleaner and also fed it many different kinds of ammo. On the contrary, I have saw a friend of mines had a couple failures to extract. You mileage may vary but good luck!

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    ShooterLee -ZERO size difference between the .40 & 9mm. The 40 was MADE to fit 9mm sized guns and in this case it DOES.

The full size guns are PERFECT for home defense and will work OK for CC...but the compact is PERFECT for CC. Just love it.

The medium size XDm (3.8 barrel and full sized grip) seem kinda pointless to me. I have a full size 9mm, a compact 9mm and a compact .40.

As a side not I find the full size mag with "grip cover thing" that comes with the compact to be a pretty stupid and pointless waste. I would have MUCH preferred an extra flush fit mag. The Pearce Grip extension pinky rest (plus zero capacity) makes a great gun PERFECT! Possibly the BEST 10 BUCKS you could spend on an XDmC.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love my XDM 9mm. I've shot 500+ rounds with zero issues.

I considered myself a Glock guy prior to getting the XDM but wanted a full size 9mm and something different. Not to make this a "versus" thread just to compare from my own experience. The reliability and accuracy is definitely comparable. The 9mm is cheaper and more comfortable to shoot for me than the 40. The one thing that I don't like too much is the safety behind the grip. I know others love this feature. It's just not my favorite aspect, but overall I had a lot of reservations about it, but I've gotten used to it and wouldn't get rid of the XDM. Practice gets you comfortable with the features as with any firearm.

The 19+1 is awesome to me and I like the gear and case that comes with. Nice to get a few extras with a purchase even though I'm sure the cost is built in. My :twocents:...

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    The 19+1 is awesome to me and I like the gear and case that comes with. Nice to get a few extras with a purchase even though I'm sure the cost is built in. My :twocents:...

It seems pretty commercial, but it is nice to get a few quality goodies when you drop serious cash for a new gun. You have a more to play around with other than a cardboard box and some paperwork.

Kind of a gimmick, but it caught my attention :D

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I also love my XDMc 9mm, I have both the 19 rd mags and the flush fits. I had 3 ftf's when first breaking in the gun (with less than 200 rds through) but since i have shot more than 250 rds, not a single issue. And, I intentionally didn't clean it before first range trip. I wanted to test the reliability....the ftf's were more likley due to me 'limp wristing' than the gun itself....

I CC and OC this gun all the time both with the flush fit and extended mags. I love it and have no plans to sell it any time soon. And it conceals easily on my small frame....

It definitely is a breeze to shoot and easy to carry. I use the Galco King Tuck holster when CC'ing and just the paddle holster that comes with the gun when OC'ing. I'm eventually going to get a better OC holster, but the one that comes with works for now .... My only complaint is that the holster pinches me whenever i'm not careful putting on my belt....but 0 complaints about the gun.

You will be very very happy with this purchase. Invest in it.... :D

Smoov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    I have the XDm9 4.5. I've had it since last October. Put 1,400 rounds through it. Have had 1 FTF. Tulammo was the FTF and while my friend was using the gun. Not his fault but he was afraid of my gun. Actually all guns. He wasn't handling it like a piece of machinery but more like a bomb with a ticker. He moved out to California about a year ago and about a month later, he was held at gun point. Guess he has been a little on edge since the incident. Wanted to get familiar with guns and thinking about getting one. I tell you what, his first 3 shots were grouped the size of a quarter right on the bullseye until he got lazy. First time he ever fired a handgun.

It's my first handgun. I also own a XD9SC. I like the grip safety. I've shot other handguns and just seem to like the XDm line. The break down of the gun is easy and safer. Match grade barrel if that really matters. 19+1 in the chamber is great. Feels great in my hands. Interchangeable back strap for more customizing to your needs.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    While I carry a Glock 19, I am not a blowhard, if you carry a gun, good for you no matter what it is. My opinion is that you want something that has a full enough grip to get three fingers on, but short enough it hides well. The handle length of the gun is critical for CC. I'm a thin guy so every little bit counts, if you are bigger then by all means I say go for an XDm. If concealability is a big issue though, I'd check out some of the other XD's.

As I said, I'm not going to tell you that Glocks are the best guns out there, I would just advise you to compare dimensions on all of the guns you are considering, that was what tipped the scale for me on my decision. Weight vs size vs capacity vs reliability record were the deciding factors. A friend of mine did the same thing and decided a full size M&P was the gun for him. I'm just glad I didn't get a 17 because I recognize now that a full size gun would be considerably harder to conceal.

Top Bottom