• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The best "upgrade" would have been to do away with the offending grip safety altogether.

I wonder if they would have enough import points to do this.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    The best "upgrade" would have been to do away with the offending grip safety altogether.

I wonder if they would have enough import points to do this.
    Actually I prefer to have the grip safety. I have a 5 year old at home and other who are not very familiar with firearms. The grip safety helps if a child gets a hold of my XDs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know that accidents happen, but the best idea is to never have your gun a place a 5 year old has access to it. I have single-digit kids too and that's the rule I follow.

The grip safety appears to have been the problem here and had the potential to be very dangerous.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    As a small token of our thanks, we will be enclosing an XD-S™ extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return.

I can deal with that. :)

Still not seeing this on the FAQ or the email I received. Not that I doubt you but I've been saving every scrap of information I can find that Springfield releases on the recall. Where can I find this? Thanks.

Never mind, found it. It's located on the updates link with the date, not the FAQ.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks for that video pudly. I'm glad it's finally explained what's going on.

I'm still carrying mine as my edc. Seems like once it's loaded safely and correctly, it's fine to carry. It's only on reloading when the trigger is locked back and if you don't pull in the grip safety causing the trigger to reset, it will discharge.

Once I hear Springfield is actually fixing and sending them back, replacing them, or issuing a refund, I'll send mine back. But until then, I'm going to hold onto my gun.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I know that accidents happen, but the best idea is to never have your gun a place a 5 year old has access to it. I have single-digit kids too and that's the rule I follow.

The grip safety appears to have been the problem here and had the potential to be very dangerous.

He does not have access to my firearm with out permission. However He's a smart an inventive and curious little boy. The rule I follow that rule as well, however I also know if I make it a forbidden object he want to explore it that much more. He's handled my firearm numerous times under supervision.

Also not just for me but I like that fact that an accidental pull on the trigger won't discarge a round unless I have the grip safety depressed. It's more an "oh **** my shirt got caught in my pistol".

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah I'm sure that's what they'll do!

Yep, especially after going thru all the expense and effort of doing a voluntary recall on their part to correct a potential safety issue.

Meh... Not impressed but thanks for the condescension anyway. I would tend to believe that a "fix" related to a potential safety issue might be just a bit more involved than a junk fix for it to work correctly. You can have this eye roll back too. :rolleyes:

I think at this point...my point has been proven. Like I said, I've been an engineer that's worked these types of recalls before. And the way this recall has gone is EXACTLY why I didn't send mine in immediately and still have not.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Customer reaction to the XDS recall

Stage 1: Denial - maybe my serial number is not included
    Stage 2: Resistance - I'm not going to send mine in. It's a voluntary recall and mine is ok.
    Stage 3: Exploration - Well, maybe I better send it in. It 's only going to be gone a couple of weeks anyway.
    Fast forward one month, "SA is the worst! Lost all of my business! I'm throwing my XDS away if I ever get it back. They will be hearing from my lawyer!"
    Stage 4: Acceptance - Wait, we get a free magazine? SA is the best! Glad they are putting customer safety first! I don't know why everyone else was upset!

Including myself in the above sequence.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    my question is this, this recall is only for ser. no. blah blah blah and above, that would imply that some ser. nos. are not being recalled. those must be ok and safe to use. why is their design different from the others, and why were the recalled guns not updated like the non-recalled guns? what am I missing here?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    You can change it. Let the company know how you feel like the rest of us and things will change or they will lose business. Why even post if your going to whine about everyone else actual issues.

You completely missed the point. I have the same "actual issue" as everyone else. Instead of whining about it, I'll let Springfield know how I feel directly, and I'll take their actions into consideration the next time I spend $. The folks who are *****ing to each other are the whiners.

Edit: would the 5-letter word get asterisked-out if it was used to describe a female dog?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think at this point...my point has been proven. Like I said, I've been an engineer that's worked these types of recalls before. And the way this recall has gone is EXACTLY why I didn't send mine in immediately and still have not.
    No one cares. Good day sir.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    my question is this, this recall is only for ser. no. blah blah blah and above, that would imply that some ser. nos. are not being recalled. those must be ok and safe to use. why is their design different from the others, and why were the recalled guns not updated like the non-recalled guns? what am I missing here?

It's not certain serial numbers, it's for every XDS.

Top Bottom