• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've never owned any Ontario products, but Spyderco makes some great blades for the money.

I'd recommend the Spyderco, drop Brad of Brad's Knives a line and he'll take care of you.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I have a Tenacious and think it is an excellent knife for the price, I still keep mine in my knife rotation with my other edc knives that cost significantly more. As for the ontario I know a lot of people may disagree with me but, I will never give them 1 red cent after the whole mess between them and what is now ESEE. No matter how good their product may be I will not support them but that is just me.:)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Having owned both Spyderco and Ontario I would defiantly go with Spyderco. Spides a much better quality product. If cost is an issue then go with the Ontario until you can get a better blade. And of course you can always contact Brad for a good Spyderco deal.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    spyderco spyderco spyderco!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone thinks those rat-1's are super nifty because nutnfancy did a favorable review on them, it's just not true.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I own them both. I carry them both alternating. The blade on the spyderco always starts to tarnish on a campout. The Ontario has yet to develop any kind of rust on it. The blades are both great, around the same amount of cutting edge, but I like the sweep better on the ontario. They both hold a fine edge for the same amount of time. But I love the G10 on the spyderco, I love it. the ontario is just as good after some custom jimping. But the spyderco just feels so damn large in the pocket. The blade on the ontario also swings out way faster than the spyderco with much less effort, and there is 0 play in the blade. To get the tenacious to swing out that fast there has to be a little play in the blade, not much, just a little.

Long story short, if you are looking for an outdoors pocket knife, go with the Ontario RAT-1. If your looking for a good knife for around the home or office, go with the spyderco. If your looking for both, get Leatherman Wave.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I own them both. I carry them both alternating. The blade on the spyderco always starts to tarnish on a campout. The Ontario has yet to develop any kind of rust on it. The blades are both great, around the same amount of cutting edge, but I like the sweep better on the ontario. They both hold a fine edge for the same amount of time. But I love the G10 on the spyderco, I love it. the ontario is just as good after some custom jimping. But the spyderco just feels so damn large in the pocket. The blade on the ontario also swings out way faster than the spyderco with much less effort, and there is 0 play in the blade. To get the tenacious to swing out that fast there has to be a little play in the blade, not much, just a little.

Long story short, if you are looking for an outdoors pocket knife, go with the Ontario RAT-1. If your looking for a good knife for around the home or office, go with the spyderco. If your looking for both, get Leatherman Wave.

Are you carring a Ontario RAT-1? If its a RAT-1 that is AUS-8 steel in your Ontario and its holding up better than a Spyderco? What steel is in the Spyderco you are comparing to the Ontario? Oh and is the Ontario one of those black painted models? I have some SOG's with AUS-8 steel but think SOG does a really good job of heat treating that steel making a decent knife.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Are you carring a Ontario RAT-1? If its a RAT-1 that is AUS-8 steel in your Ontario and its holding up better than a Spyderco? What steel is in the Spyderco you are comparing to the Ontario? Oh and is the Ontario one of those black painted models? I have some SOG's with AUS-8 steel but think SOG does a really good job of heat treating that steel making a decent knife.

The spyderco tenacious is 8Cr13Mov steel, which is more like AUS-6 steel from what I have read. My Ontario RAT-1 is the satin finish AUS-8 blade, not the black blade.

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I got both around Xmas time and I like both. The Rat opens easier and faster but feels much heaver hanging on my pocket.

The liner lock on the Tenacious is easier to use to close the blade. I have seen one person say that it could be accidently hit while using the knife and close the blade but i don't really see that.

I think the Rat feels better in my hand and is more comfortable while cutting.

I have also read that the "First Production Runs" (what i have) of the Rats were much better than the later runs. So you might want to look into that some more if you think you might pull the trigger.

I like the Rat better in use but the Tenacious would be easier to carry.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have also read that the "First Production Runs" (what i have) of the Rats were much better than the later runs. So you might want to look into that some more if you think you might pull the trigger.

I have a first production run one with the changeable thumb stud, and one of th later ones, the changeable thumb stud is the only quality difference there is, at least imo. But the first production one did seem to be sharper out of box, though both are razors.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The spyderco tenacious is 8Cr13Mov steel, which is more like AUS-6 steel from what I have read. My Ontario RAT-1 is the satin finish AUS-8 blade, not the black blade.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Spyderco was using any Chinese steel. That is why I like this forum I'm being clued in on things all the time.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^^^^You see it in the Byrd line, and their low end stuff. Pretty crappy steel IMO. My vote for the OP would be an Endura / Delica, depending on what fits you better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    ^^^^You see it in the Byrd line, and their low end stuff. Pretty crappy steel IMO. My vote for the OP would be an Endura / Delica, depending on what fits you better.

I used my Tencacious as part of my EDC for the last three years and never had any problem with the type of steel.
    It sharpens easily and stays quite sharp, never rusted (used it in the rain and snow) or broke or anything.
    Is it the best steel? Maybe not but it's far from crappy.
    It is a Spyderco knife and you can trust the Spyderco quality.
    For me the steel they use is not an issue at all.

:twocents:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    For me the steel they use is not an issue at all.

:twocents:

steel SHOULD be an issue, it's what makes a knife a knife but when your talking $40 knives your gonna get mediocre steel. and it's correct the 8cr13mov is a chinese AUS 6 not a great steel but it work pretty well for what it is. since both companies are using roughly the same steel you have to look at build quality on the other components to really determine a winner. I don't own a rat-1 but have sharpened a few and I can say I'm very unimpressed with the overall quality of the knife especially the coating on the blade. I do own a tenacious and think it would be one of spydercos top selling knives if they put a better steel in it because the rest of the knife is flawless. that being said I use mine to cut cord all day long with a THIN edge and usually only touch it up once or maybe twice every couple days. so aside from the steel it comes down to ergonomics and quality of the materials used and build quality and I feel spyderco wins on both accounts.

Top Bottom