• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For the most part the blade finish is only cosmetic and has no input/value on the quality of the knife with the exception of some of the high carbon steels that have coatings to help prevent corrosion. I don't see how a satin finish blade is nicer other than to the eye of the user. Unfortunately some knife models you will not have a choice on the blade finish....I prefer satin, high polish, and stonewash finishes over any type of coating on a blade.:twocents:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a Rat 1 that has held up pretty well and has been used to pry, stab, dig, and cut things. Also, I have a tenacious and it has taken a nice beating at work so far. I am not the expert on blades like Tyler but I will say that I have beaten on both knives and both have held up pretty well for what they are.

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    i own both, and the RAT 1 is always in my pocket, not so much with the tenacious. i personally like the feel of the RAT 1 better, and though it's no longer sharper than the devil himself, i've not had to resharpen it since getting it in December and it does get used daily.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been looking at both of these knives and I don't know which one to choose. Any Advice?

DISCLAIMER: I love Spyderco, how they run their business, and I own, carry, and use several of their products. I am not enamored of how Ontario conducts their business.

I have an early Tenacious. I would not give it to someone I don't like much less carry it for use. It's built very well, especially for something made in China, and I like the design. However, the blade (on mine) is a piece of crap. I can get it sharp, but it won't stay sharp long enough to slice through a #10 envelope to open it. I'm not joking and I'm not inept at sharpening.

Before all of you Tenacious lovers dogpile me, this is my experience. Feel free to comment, but I'm not going to debate the merits of the Tenacious. I will also say that when I bought it and tried to use it years ago, quite a few others on bladeforums had virtually identical experiences. Perhaps we were victims of a bad production run or their heat treatment QA/QC is inconsistent. Regardless of the reason, I don't even use mine as a letter opener and I don't know where it is. I do recognize that since I acquired mine, the product may have improved substantially, but I'm not interested enough to try again.

I have several of the Ontario RAT-1 folders. All of them have given excellent service and heat treatment of AUS8A is consistent across the board. They all take a sharper edge than the Tenacious I have and they remain sharp at least long enough to complete a reasonable job. I have one in my pocket right now next to a Spyderco Endura FFG in fact. My jammies at home have one in the pocket too. Oh, okay, I have an older Endura there too.

If your only two choices are the Spyderco Tenacious or the Ontario RAT-1, then I would recommend the RAT-1 without hesitation over the Tenacious. Given that, I would actually recommend comparing something else to the RAT-1 and eliminating the Tenacious from your pool. For example, a Spyderco Delica may he $25 more, but it's an excellent tool that will give you many years of good service. You can get it with a full flat grind (my preference) just like the Tenacious too.

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    I have an early Tenacious. I would not give it to someone I don't like much less carry it for use. It's built very well, especially for something made in China, and I like the design. However, the blade (on mine) is a piece of crap. I can get it sharp, but it won't stay sharp long enough to slice through a #10 envelope to open it. I'm not joking and I'm not inept at sharpening.

I bought my last year, so I don't think the inability to stay the least bit sharp is an older vs. newer run thing. Mine was decently sharp out of the package, but within a couple days of moderate use i.e. opening packages and mail, what was left of the factory edge could have been considered safety scissors if I had a matching blade to go with it. Build quality on it looks fine, but my Rat folder feels heavier and more sturdy in hand. Unfortunately, my Rat has gone on the lam for about a week, so the tenacious has made it a couple days as my EDC knife.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Well he did not heed any of our advice and got some CKRT and the serrations on it are already mangled and pretty much unusable. And yes, I did punch him right off the bat when I saw him.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    DISCLAIMER: I love Spyderco, how they run their business, and I own, carry, and use several of their products. I am not enamored of how Ontario conducts their business.

Before all of you Tenacious lovers dogpile me, this is my experience. Feel free to comment, but I'm not going to debate the merits of the Tenacious. I will also say that when I bought it and tried to use it years ago, quite a few others on bladeforums had virtually identical experiences. Perhaps we were victims of a bad production run or their heat treatment QA/QC is inconsistent. Regardless of the reason, I don't even use mine as a letter opener and I don't know where it is. I do recognize that since I acquired mine, the product may have improved substantially, but I'm not interested enough to try again.

I have several of the Ontario RAT-1 folders. All of them have given excellent service and heat treatment of AUS8A is consistent across the board. They all take a sharper edge than the Tenacious I have and they remain sharp at least long enough to complete a reasonable job. I have one in my pocket right now next to a Spyderco Endura FFG in fact. My jammies at home have one in the pocket too. Oh, okay, I have an older Endura there too.

If your only two choices are the Spyderco Tenacious or the Ontario RAT-1, then I would recommend the RAT-1 without hesitation over the Tenacious. Given that, I would actually recommend comparing something else to the RAT-1 and eliminating the Tenacious from your pool. For example, a Spyderco Delica may he $25 more, but it's an excellent tool that will give you many years of good service. You can get it with a full flat grind (my preference) just like the Tenacious too.

Great review and opinion given!

Top Bottom