• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    So a week ago I finally got my hands on a new 3" Ruger LCRX (Thank Bradis!) I loaded up some .38 special last weekend barely able to wait to get to the range.
    I got some free time at lunch today and decided to head over to Indy Trading Post to try out the new revolver and also to see the new lighting they have in the range. First 15 rounds went off and this things shoots like a dream, I'm really loving this. Load her up again and my second shot is a squib. I unloaded the gun and shined my flashlight into the end of the barrel and sure enough, bullet was lodged in there.
    Having never experienced this before I exited the range area and pushed the door bell to get someone's attention from the office. When they arrived I asked if there was some tool I could buy to dislodge a squib round or if they could help me out somehow, but if not it was no big deal. Lady was very nice and said she wasn't sure, but would see if she could get me fixed up. She took my gun with her into a locked room located right next to the range.
    20 minutes later she come out empty handed and said they couldn't get it out right now but if I would like to leave it overnight, they could get it out and I could pick it up tomorrow. I politely said no thanks and that I'd like to have my gun back so I can get back to work. She said ok and went back in the locked room. 5 more minutes go by and out she comes with my gun, hands it to me without a word and goes back to the main store area.
    I looked the gun over and saw this...
    20150306_114059.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    This is not just finish scratched off, the metal is gouged from a vise. There are 2 other much smaller spots where the finish has been chipped off as well.
    Seeing this, I walked around to the store to retrieve my driver license and ask what happened. When I showed her this, she proceeded to tell me that it wasn't like that when she just handed it back to me! I asked her if she was serious, that I just walked 30 feet and that I didn't have a vise in my pocket. She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her this gun is BRAND NEW! She took the gun from me and said she had to go ask the boss. She came right back and said they could have it refinished for me but that it would take 2-3 weeks for that to be done and that was all they would do. Refinishing won't fix the gouges in the metal. I walked out.
    I'm obviously really upset.
    What would you do INGO? Have it fixed then send them the bill? Small claims court? Or am I just up a creek without a paddle?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Sheesh. That's unfortunate. What will actually "fix" the gun to your satisfaction? I would probably push some more to get it fixed by them before going to court, but I also understand if you're pissed about how it originally went down.

Tough one....

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    bradmedic, I'm not confident in their ability to fix it. I wouldn't put it past them to "fix it" with a can of Rustoleum matte black after what happened today.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sheesh. That's unfortunate. What will actually "fix" the gun to your satisfaction? I would probably push some more to get it fixed by them before going to court, but I also understand if you're pissed about how it originally went down.

Tough one....

Tough one???
    How so?
    He said it was a brand new gun, and they chewed a hole in the side of it.
    What could fix it...?
    Make it look new again! How about that?

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    ITP has contacted me and are taking care of the situation. I will update this thread once it is resolved.

Thank you to those that posted.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Tough situation, that gun will never be like new again no matter what they try to do. A replacement is the only solution. You never chuck something up in a vice like that without taking some precautions to keep from have damage like that.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I'd say send it to Ruger. They should fix it since it's still under warranty. Ruger has good reviews for their customer service, even fixing old guns they no longer produce. The shipping should be free if you send them an email about your problem.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I think "make it look new again" is synonymous with replace it with a new one! IMO, that's the only way to respond assuming the OP's account is accurate.

That was what my question was getting at...does the thing need replacing or "fixing?"

Sounds like a fix is in the works. Hope it works out.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    You may want to explain the benefits to them of purchasing this fine firearm as a range rental, it is a one of a kind. The training potential is astounding and it already has personality.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You may want to explain the benefits to them of purchasing this fine firearm as a range rental, it is a one of a kind. The training potential is astounding and it already has personality.

THIS! That sounds like the best deal. An even trade... your gun for an identical brand new one from the factory. They can worry about selling it as a used pistol, or buff it out and use it as a rental. Everybody wins.

Thats the only deal I would make if it was a brand new gun.

Its great and all that they are making good on it, but to try to just hand it back to you hoping you wont notice is rather shady. Its just reinforcing my desire not to return. On my one trip I was ignored and my buddy was made to feel like he was inconveniencing them by asking for a price on a gun leaning against the wall behind the counter. After telling him the price he was then told rather bluntly that the gun hadnt been logged yet, and it wouldnt be ready to buy for several hours, possibly the next day. Seriously? They wouldnt log it NOW if he was ready to buy? I dont mind being ignored because I was just browsing, but still...

No way in hell they didnt notice the gouges when they did it. If they DID miss them, what OTHER big thing are they going to miss?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Reloading rule #1
    It's not if but when you will experience your first squib.
    Reloading rule #2
    Always carry a range rod ie: brass squib removal rod for each cal you have with you at the time and small hammer in you range bag.

You can purchase brass rod by the foot at any metal material supplier for next to nothing and Harbor Freight has a neat little ballpeen shorty that works great as a range bag hammer. There are several places to get brass rod by the foot in the Indy area PM me if you can't find one. I have personally removed close to 50 squibs over the past few years of working at ECPR, and never once needed to chuck a gun in a vise. With the correct tools, most of the time you can just hold the gun in your hand while tapping the squib out of the barrel.

bart1533

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    indianapolis/owen co
    I would give owner a call explained what happen.. tell them if it's not resolved I would see them in small claims court..I don't go in there anymore. I had a bad experience there myself.. I went in there about 15 mins before they was closing. Couldn't get help on what I needed..after finding what I did need I stood at the cash register as no one helped me. They just walked right buy me closing shop like I didn't exist. Finally I said it loudly as I walked out. "If u don't want my money then the h#! $ with this place ". Haven't been back. AND WONT.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    This will be taken care of. We did not initially handle it properly. We tried to help and screwed up. I contacted the OP and we will make it right. I was in the process of making it right and he had already left. I did not convey this to my employee so they did not communicate that to him. This post gave me the opportunity to contact him and let him know what we would do. For those jumping on the bash ITP band wagon, if you have a problem let me know and it will be taken care of. On that note and no way directed at anyone, I understand when something bad happens the instant reaction is to jump on the internet and vent. If you have had a good experience, not just with us but with other shops are you as quick to jump on the internet and compliment? In this case I am glad he did because now I was able to contact him and we can take care of it. I also don't like seeing all the people on here making the sue them comments. Just my personal opinion. I will leave it at that and if we make a mistake we will own it and take care of it.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    This will be taken care of. We did not initially handle it properly. We tried to help and screwed up. I contacted the OP and we will make it right. I was in the process of making it right and he had already left. I did not convey this to my employee so they did not communicate that to him. This post gave me the opportunity to contact him and let him know what we would do. For those jumping on the bash ITP band wagon, if you have a problem let me know and it will be taken care of. On that note and no way directed at anyone, I understand when something bad happens the instant reaction is to jump on the internet and vent. If you have had a good experience, not just with us but with other shops are you as quick to jump on the internet and compliment? In this case I am glad he did because now I was able to contact him and we can take care of it. I also don't like seeing all the people on here making the sue them comments. Just my personal opinion. I will leave it at that and if we make a mistake we will own it and take care of it.

You, sir, know what you're doing when it comes to customer service and running a business, especially in the gun industry. We're an extremely loyal consumer group, as long as you treat us right. If not, we'll go somewhere else and tell everyone we can about why we jumped ship.

Someone in your shop screwed up (as everyone does at some point), but you're trying to make it right. That's all a scorned customer can ask for.

Good on you.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not jumping on the bash ITP wagon, I'm jumping on the OP effed up wagon! I used to reload, until I had a double charge, due to laziness!( indexer broke, but I thought I could keep track of each handle crank and manually indexing the shell plate carrier!). Blew up a perfectly good .45, picked **** out of my face for a week, and my hand effin hurt! As for the one squib I had, by the time it was pushed out, I had a bulged bbl. You can send it to Ruger all you want, but when they hear "reload" you are done with warranty! Buying right, reloaded ammo is nothing but a liability, that is not to say you can't load a better load for more precision, but at what cost eventually?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Also, I know the intent was to be helpful, but I would have handed the gun back and referred the OP to a gunsmith. I'd expect most indoor ranges to do that from a liability standpoint.

Top Bottom