• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

At Mach 3, the plane would expand several inches because of the severe temperature, which could heat the leading edge of the wing to 1,100 degrees.

Qaddafi had established a 'line of death,' a territorial marking across the Gulf of Sidra , swearing to shoot down any intruder that crossed the boundary. On the morning of April 15, I rocketed past the line at 2,125 mph.

The SR-71 was an expensive aircraft to operate. The most significant cost was tanker support, and in 1990, confronted with budget cutbacks, the Air Force retired the SR-71.The Blackbird had outrun nearly 4,000 missiles, not once taking a scratch from enemy fire.
    I would like to note, while expensive, it is cheaper than retasking the flight of a satellite, or sending a new one up when you need coverage in a specific spot.

The spikes are full aft now, tucked twenty-six inches deep into the nacelles. With all inlet doors tightly shut, at 3.24 Mach, the J-58s are more like ramjets now, gulping 100,000 cubic feet of air per second.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And I thought I had it bad.
    This photo is captioned wrong.

Control-Room.jpg

It sure is... Fortran... easy to use?? Wasn't for me! :):

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    "Hey, what's the gauge on the left for? No, not that one, no no, not that one, no, the other one. There, right there! THAT one, what's it do?" :laugh:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was some form of computation going on. It may have only been mechanical analogue computation, but the aero-spikes were highly sensitive to a myriad of physical qualities, not the least of which was indicated air speed and air density. Early examples suffered from high-speed flame-out when the shockwave entering the intake was not properly reflected between the intake and the aero-spike before hitting the combustion chamber.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was some form of computation going on. It may have only been mechanical analogue computation, but the aero-spikes were highly sensitive to a myriad of physical qualities, not the least of which was indicated air speed and air density. Early examples suffered from high-speed flame-out when the shockwave entering the intake was not properly reflected between the intake and the aero-spike before hitting the combustion chamber.

I read about that. They struggled with those issues and how to control the intake.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Very very cool! Always thought the Air Force was foolish for retiring it. High end tech is the answer for everthing.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Thank you Fenway for posting that picture. That is my favorite plane of all time. Just 3 years ago I saw it with my own eyes when my Dad and Brother in Law went to the Wright Paterson museum. It was breathtaking to say the least. I don't know why it is my favorite but it is. I have a picture if it in my home office. Also, thank you Bigtanker, that was a fun read. -Jason

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thank you Fenway for posting that picture. That is my favorite plane of all time. Just 3 years ago I saw it with my own eyes when my Dad and Brother in Law went to the Wright Paterson museum. It was breathtaking to say the least. I don't know why it is my favorite but it is. I have a picture if it in my home office. Also, thank you Bigtanker, that was a fun read. -Jason

My favorite too. When I was younger I read everything the Library had on it. Been to Wright Pat a couple times.. I ignored the sign, i touched it :D

Top Bottom