• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Can' t find the post at the moment, but somewhere a few pages back said the SR1911 was cast. Wrong, it is not cast. CNC'd.

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The SR1911 is built primarily of stainless steel. The slide is CNC machined from bar stock, and the frame is made using Ruger’s proven investment casting process."
    Ruger SR1911 45 ACP Semi-Auto Pistol
    [/FONT]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I simply cannot imagine having a customer base THIS anal. That's not going to affect operation and you can't see it unless you take the gun apart. I know you paid alot and you would like perfection but this seems over the top to me.
    Ed Brown standards on a Ruger budget...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ^ +1. Most all start as castings or forgings and then machined. Hardly anyone starts from a block of billet. Takes too much time to hog out.

Not to mention that "billet" is a worthless term. Billets can be cast. Or forged. Or extruded. Or sintered powder metal.

Regardless of the raw stock, almost all machining is CNC now. And CNC does not mean correct or even good-- just more consistent. A talented machinist on quality tooling can surpass "CNC" quality.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Regardless of the price, I understand the OP's concern. Like most, if not all of us, money is hard earned these days. Looks like foreign material that escaped QC. Simple to catch, regardless of how busy the Ruger factory. That is why I buy used often. Much easier to overlook scratches or tooling marks. Just as an FYI, I have seen some pretty gnarly tooling marks inside original High Standard and Dan Wesson products. Shoot fine and look fine on the outside, but inside is fugly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would put it together with a little touch of fine grease on the frame rails, and shoot about 10,000 rounds through it. If I didn't win the match, I could always blame the gun.

As a heart patient who has flatlined 5 times since Jan, 2012, it has been determined that stress is my worst enemy. Don't sweat the little stuff. A place were a tool galled (stainless is more prone to that than carbon steel) in an open recess where no operational fit is engaged is clearly not worth stressing your heart over. If it is going to keep you upset, please trade it off. My first hospital visit cost more that 100 of those Pistols. My ambulance ride cost more than two of them. Relax, enjoy, be happy.

Top Bottom