Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If anyone is snowed in and has nothing to do. How about coming up with some stage ideas for the 2014 season. I have a ton scratched onto paper but have not formalized anything. If someone has some ideas that they would like to see on the ground here is your chance.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If anyone else has ideas put them down and email them to me. Jake started drawing them with crayons. I can interpret most anything.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How about some Pepper Poppers at 50 yards on a long course in the rifle bay? They're more forgiving than paper in terms of knowing whether or not you hit!

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I know it is hard to do, BUT, Dave Butler at Silver Creek always has stages that can be shot 10,000 different ways. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with such stages but they are fun.
    I will try and do the same at SCGC this year.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I know it is hard to do, BUT, Dave Butler at Silver Creek always has stages that can be shot 10,000 different ways. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with such stages but they are fun.
    I will try and do the same at SCGC this year.

+10000:laugh:
    Dave and crew at Silver Creek and Gary Welborn and crew at Owensboro both have great stages that give you many ways to screw them up, er I mean shoot them.
    I love the multiple option stages and memory stages but love shooting pretty much any match. But as a old fat guy I don't have as much fun on the long run stuff anymore. Especially if I'm RO'ing. Shooter has to do it once, RO has to do it several times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I did not realize options were so sorely lacking at WVPPS. I will sit down and come up with some options for the March match.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Coach I wasn't complaining about your stages as I have only shot at Riley a few times. Owensboro shoots same weekend as you do but on Sat. Owensboro is a lot closer for me than Riley. I hope to make a few matches at Riley this season.
    As a former match director I won't ever complain about stages that someone went to the effort to design and setup just so I could come and shoot them.
    I will complain however when it is to hot or raining:laugh:

Thanks Coach and all the match directors at all the clubs for the work and effort you put in.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I did not realize options were so sorely lacking at WVPPS. I will sit down and come up with some options for the March match.

They're not. In fact, your stage designs are very well balanced. Too many choices usually equates to a "memory stage." Those are, in my opinion, even less fun to shoot than stand in the box and fire 12 rounds. Courses of fire and matches overall need balance. Multiple options (of which you often include) are good and challenge the shooter. Too many and it becomes a puzzle solving riddle more than a shooting match.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Some clubs get caught up in the rehashing of the same basic stages in the same bays every month, but this has never been an issue at wvpps. Stages have always been a good mix of speed, Hoser, movement and added in different challenges each month.
    It is also nice to see clubs asking for people to submit stage designs from competitors. I think it would be a great idea for every one to sit down draw up some stages and submit to your clubs.
    One of the things coach is very good at is is taking an idea you have on paper and making it legal, making it something that can be set up and challenging.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach I wasn't complaining about your stages as I have only shot at Riley a few times. Owensboro shoots same weekend as you do but on Sat. Owensboro is a lot closer for me than Riley. I hope to make a few matches at Riley this season.
    As a former match director I won't ever complain about stages that someone went to the effort to design and setup just so I could come and shoot them.
    I will complain however when it is to hot or raining:laugh:

Thanks Coach and all the match directors at all the clubs for the work and effort you put in.

It was the second time that it came up and that got me thinking... Hope to see you more in 2014.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Hey guys!!!! I was only putting in my 2 cents worth, didn't aim to PI$$ anyone off. A stage that seems complex to one shooter may be quit simple to the next. I know with my stages at South Central you try to run a mix that's is not to challenging to the D & C shooters but complex enough to challenge the higher classed shooters. Time to reset the stages comes into play also with lots of movers and steel reset. The amount of man power you have to setup stages makes a big difference also. If you don't like SCGC stages that's your problem.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What I noticed in 2013 traveling to local matches throughout the season is that clubs tend to have their own style of stages. None are better than others, but some folks like certain types of stages.

I like a match to have 3-4 different styles of stages. Hoser, memory, technical, speed, standards, etc. All in one match! I get to test all my skills at one match that way. There are very few clubs that do this. Most people want to only shoot large field courses, so that's what MD's do. Can't blame the MD's, they are trying to please the competitors who pay the match fees.

My opinion is probably not worth 2 cents, but there it is. I just resolved to go to as many different clubs as possible. That way I could refine my skills based on a variety of styles.

Edit: for what its worth I believe that Riley, South Central, & Silvercreek all put on great local level matches. Most of the stages at these clubs are Level II & III type stages.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom