Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hey guys!!!! I was only putting in my 2 cents worth, didn't aim to PI$$ anyone off. A stage that seems complex to one shooter may be quit simple to the next. I know with my stages at South Central you try to run a mix that's is not to challenging to the D & C shooters but complex enough to challenge the higher classed shooters. Time to reset the stages comes into play also with lots of movers and steel reset. The amount of man power you have to setup stages makes a big difference also. If you don't like SCGC stages that's your problem.

I never said or saw anyone say anything about SCGC stages. I was just somewhat shocked that you alluded to options being lacking at WVPPS. I did not think that was a weakness of ours. Feedback is a good thing to have. I am going to try and stress a mix and options in 2014.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'll try to come up with something Coach.

I think Indiana uspsa shooters are lucky. There is at least one quality match each weekend,probably more than one.

I haven't been to all of the clubs yet. I think I just came up with a 2014 goal.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I agree with CB45 every match director has a style that shows in their stage design. None are necessarily better than the other just different. Different shooters prefer different things usually playing to their strengths so they prefer clubs that set up those kind of stages.
    Since I shoot revolver every stage is a memory stage so I like the memory stages that really test your memory. Most revolver shooters seem to prefer shorter field courses but not me I LOVE the 32 round monster field courses. If I drive a hour or more and pay a entry fee I like getting the most bang for my buck. The classifier usually covers the standards and other basic tests.
    I love the Texas star and rotating plate rack and swingers and clam shells because I can't practice those and the more I shoot them the more comfortable I get with them. I know they can slow down the match and cause back ups but they are still fun.
    South Central, Silver Creek, and Owensboro are the 3 matches I try to hit every month and ALL of them have great stages.
    FWIW I shot the Revolver nationals last year which was held right after the SS nationals on the same courses of fire. For whatever reason the longest course of fire was 24 rounds IIRC and none of them were anything special. The only thing we shot that was different was the all steel stage which was all poppers yep 24 of them. Not to many clubs have that many poppers so that was different. They were fun stages but the ones I shoot at the monthly local matches and the Indiana state and Prod/SS/Rev are BETTER than the ones that I shot at the nationals. We ARE lucky in Indiana.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I agree with CB45 every match director has a style that shows in their stage design. None are necessarily better than the other just different. Different shooters prefer different things usually playing to their strengths so they prefer clubs that set up those kind of stages.
    Since I shoot revolver every stage is a memory stage so I like the memory stages that really test your memory. Most revolver shooters seem to prefer shorter field courses but not me I LOVE the 32 round monster field courses. If I drive a hour or more and pay a entry fee I like getting the most bang for my buck. The classifier usually covers the standards and other basic tests.
    I love the Texas star and rotating plate rack and swingers and clam shells because I can't practice those and the more I shoot them the more comfortable I get with them. I know they can slow down the match and cause back ups but they are still fun.
    South Central, Silver Creek, and Owensboro are the 3 matches I try to hit every month and ALL of them have great stages.
    FWIW I shot the Revolver nationals last year which was held right after the SS nationals on the same courses of fire. For whatever reason the longest course of fire was 24 rounds IIRC and none of them were anything special. The only thing we shot that was different was the all steel stage which was all poppers yep 24 of them. Not to many clubs have that many poppers so that was different. They were fun stages but the ones I shoot at the monthly local matches and the Indiana state and Prod/SS/Rev are BETTER than the ones that I shot at the nationals. We ARE lucky in Indiana.

I agree. (not shooting revolver but the rest of it) :)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There you go Coach, a goal for 2014, to get classified in revolver. :cool:

Yes.....8 Round Minor too

170341_01_lg.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There you go Coach, a goal for 2014, to get classified in revolver. :cool:
    If I could borrow a revolver I would get classified. All I have to do is not zero the stage four times and I am A class in Revolver no matter how bad it is.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    If I could borrow a revolver I would get classified. All I have to do is not zero the stage four times and I am A class in Revolver no matter how bad it is.

Man....I knew i should have bought a revolver instead of an open gun. I guess I am just not enough of a gamer!!!:draw:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Warsaw, South Central, ACC and Riley, IMO opinion, all have great stages. Fun to shoot. My only complaint is that I would like to shoot some of them at least one more time. We are blessed here in Indiana for the quality of our clubs.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You may borrow my S&W 686 any time, including a few speedloaders. I even have a leather holster with a thumbsnap you can use.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You may borrow my S&W 686 any time, including a few speedloaders. I even have a leather holster with a thumbsnap you can use.
    That sounds like a rig for me. Perhaps I should see if I can get a slot for revolver nationals.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And thus the plan was made.

Coach ... seriously, if you want to borrow my 686, you may. We'll work on a decent open top Kydex holster for it.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Do it with style Coach, I've got a 28-2, 4" N frame Highway Patrolman with speed loaders you can use. My holster sucks though, it's leather and it's too tight.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What I noticed in 2013 traveling to local matches throughout the season is that clubs tend to have their own style of stages.

I agree with CB45 every match director has a style that shows in their stage design.

So I take it in other parts of the state, the MD alone is responsible for stage design? What about building them?

The couple of clubs I have been involved w/ here in the NE part of the state, the MD is primarily a delegator... they may know they want 3 field courses, a med course, and a classifier (as an example) and divy that up among the setup crew. Until the stages are on the ground, the MD may never see the plans. The MD typically puts one stage on the ground, as does each of the setup crew...

The same principal applies... you can sometimes tell who the stage designer is by the type of stage, but certainly the matches become a blend of personalities.

Many hands makes light work, and if you can get enough folks so each person only has to design/build one stage per month, the burdon becomes small.

Maybe we are just too easy on our MD's in the NE.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No one likes it when I talk about the "old days," but I will anyway.

Back in the mid 1990s at my first home club, we'd have a meeting before the season started. We'd go down the calendar and get three volunteers (or teams of volunteers) to design and build a stage for a specific match as well as RO it. If we didn't get enough for any given match, it was cancelled. The smart guys would volunteer early and nab the classifier.

It wasn't great for the quality of the stages, but it did divide the labor as equitably as possible.

When I was the USPSA match director at AtlantaCC, I tried to be a delegator (mostly because I'm lazy) as much as possible. It can work well if you have people to whom you can delegate who will do a good job. When I helped with 3-gun, I did a lot of stage designs.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So I take it in other parts of the state, the MD alone is responsible for stage design? What about building them?

The couple of clubs I have been involved w/ here in the NE part of the state, the MD is primarily a delegator... they may know they want 3 field courses, a med course, and a classifier (as an example) and divy that up among the setup crew. Until the stages are on the ground, the MD may never see the plans. The MD typically puts one stage on the ground, as does each of the setup crew...

The same principal applies... you can sometimes tell who the stage designer is by the type of stage, but certainly the matches become a blend of personalities.

Many hands makes light work, and if you can get enough folks so each person only has to design/build one stage per month, the burdon becomes small.

Maybe we are just too easy on our MD's in the NE.

-rvb

Your MD's are lucky.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Do it with style Coach, I've got a 28-2, 4" N frame Highway Patrolman with speed loaders you can use. My holster sucks though, it's leather and it's too tight.
    Better yet I have a revolver (Colt Single Action Army) Coach could use then he can say he made A Class with a real revolver. :)

Dont net have any speed loaders but the belt does have some loops for individual rounds.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Better yet I have a revolver (Colt Single Action Army) Coach could use then he can say he made A Class with a real revolver. :)

Dont net have any speed loaders but the belt does have some loops for individual rounds.

Holy horse ***** that is marvelous. I will do that in a heart beat, I have the outfit and matching holster ready to go.

someone set up a 4 stage classifier here soon, you bring the gun and ammo and I will classify in revolver that way
    six round classifiers
    Oh No
    Razors Edge
    Both sides Now
    Front Sight
    Front Sight 2

Top Bottom