• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did you mean to quote Blue?

No, I was suggesting that they have added metal detectors to those entrances because they are aware that people knew that previously they could park inside and use entrances without metal detectors. I can't be the only person here who remembers people mentioning it several times in the past that you can do it.

I also wasn't implying criticism of anyone sharing the information they had. It's reasonable to offer that advice, but it's also reasonable to expect the people who entertain the weak-minded with their displays of "security" to hear about it and act accordingly.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You're missing out. I thoroughly enjoy the state fair....

....prior to 4pm.

I'm sure that there's quite a lot to see there but it's kind of like Chicago to me; as much as I'd like to see some of the sites in Chicago I can't bring myself to pay the admission price to enter Chicago. I know the powers that be don't give one rat's ass about my opinion as long as they can go to their gala's etc knowing that they kept me safe from me and as long as they can have their armed security details I'm happy for them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hmmm, steel toe and shank boots, heavy metal belt buckle, much metal pocket detritus, chained wallet, and some metal neck jewelry aught to get me a gun in? Otherwise, it goes in the stroller.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hmmm, steel toe and shank boots, heavy metal belt buckle, much metal pocket detritus, chained wallet, and some metal neck jewelry aught to get me a gun in? Otherwise, it goes in the stroller.

You dressing for the fair or an S&M party?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here's how I deal with the State Fair. I DON'T GO!

I can get mediocre italian sausage and other "fair food" elsewhere without dealing with the security theatrics. I only miss Sutter taffy and grilled corn on the cob, but I know if I really want that I can mail order it. (and grill my own corn)

For the last 2 years Ive taken the family to a cottage on Pelee Island, Canada for a week instead at the same time as the state fair. Better food, better people (its like a small town and everyone is super friendly... like Hoosier Hospitality on steroids) and so much fun. Sure I cant carry, but I dont sweat it there. (not keen on the trip up and back, ESPECIALLY since one leg is through Detroit)

You dressing for the fair or an S&M party?

Redneck party.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Late to the party here.

I don't go to the fair itself but have gone to the 1500. Am I reading right that now you can't carry at the gun show unless you are planning to sell the firearm(s)?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Late to the party here.

I don't go to the fair itself but have gone to the 1500. [STRIKE]Am I reading right that now[/STRIKE] you can't carry at the gun show. [STRIKE]unless you are planning to sell the firearm(s)?[/STRIKE]

FIFY. You cant carry at the 1500, period. All firearms that enter must be inspected and disabled with a zip tie. No loaded firearms allowed inside. You can bring in a gun., but you cant carry per se. Ive unloaded my carry weapon in the car and left my gun in the holster because I didnt trust it locked in the car there, but I wouldnt say I was carring a firearm per se while I was browsing the floor. Even though it was in my holster it was still zip tied and disabled.

And this has nothing to do with state fair rules discussed above even though its happening on the same grounds. Two separate entities and two separate sets of rules for two different events.

(and dont forget the tool to clip the zip tie when you get back to the car)

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    This is the first year I’ve lived in Indiana and I grew up in Nashville, TN, where someone always gets stabbed or shot at the fair. I always avoided going because of that fact.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is the first year I’ve lived in Indiana and I grew up in Nashville, TN, where someone always gets stabbed or shot at the fair. I always avoided going because of that fact.

The Indiana state fair itself is very safe with two caveats.

1: The neighborhood surrounding the fairgrounds is a major s***hole. People have been robbed walking to their cars when parked outside the gates in the surrounding lots and yards. Get there early and use infield parking or School for the deaf immediately North. (School parking seems less prone to youts roaming around because there are no houses nearby)
    2: Dont go weekends, or especially Friday/Saturday nights. That seems to be when the vast majority of troublemakers are there. Take a vacation day and go during a weekday. Its very quiet in regards to youts.

Also avoid the midway if you can. I cant ever recall any major reports of yout shenanigans in redneckland. (the other 90% of the fair) I've only walked through the midway and was still able to have a blast with my family enjoying everything else it has to offer... ESPECIALLY the food.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    FIFY. You cant carry at the 1500, period. All firearms that enter must be inspected and disabled with a zip tie. No loaded firearms allowed inside. You can bring in a gun., but you cant carry per se. Ive unloaded my carry weapon in the car and left my gun in the holster because I didnt trust it locked in the car there, but I wouldnt say I was carring a firearm per se while I was browsing the floor. Even though it was in my holster it was still zip tied and disabled.

And this has nothing to do with state fair rules discussed above even though its happening on the same grounds. Two separate entities and two separate sets of rules for two different events.

OK, so the same applies as before. They disable my carry gun, which I then reholster. I have a full mag and a knife for the orange zip with me as well.

I was reading it like you couldn't take a firearm in unless in a box and ready to sell.

Went to a show in Muncie once where the guy at the door made me show an unloaded mag as well to get in. WTH? I pulled a spare out, unloaded it into my hand then showed him. Couldn't get an answer as to why, and that was the only time it happened there, or anywhere else.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    OK, so the same applies as before. They disable my carry gun, which I then reholster. I have a full mag and a knife for the orange zip with me as well.

I was reading it like you couldn't take a firearm in unless in a box and ready to sell.

Went to a show in Muncie once where the guy at the door made me show an unloaded mag as well to get in. WTH? I pulled a spare out, unloaded it into my hand then showed him. Couldn't get an answer as to why, and that was the only time it happened there, or anywhere else.

Or you simply don’t tell them about your concealed EDC and carry on about your business.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If only we could be checked from every legal angle, lets call it a "universal background check," and then given a cool pink card that say's we're good guys, that are to be trusted...???

:dunno:

This kind of thing makes me wonder why we fool around with "constitutional carry" (and lose)...

...all the while saying OK to gun free zones on state and federal properties?

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or you simply don’t tell them about your concealed EDC and carry on about your business.

I've never been to a 1500, or the State Fair.
    I've never disarmed for a gun show.
    At most, I need a grip for my S&W model 19, so it was unloaded.
    My EDC though, not so much.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I am NOT suggesting breaking any laws or rules.

I work in the east side hood near brookside. I’ve heard open discussions between many youths just push their Glock or knives under dirt/mulch/ etc at one of the many spots around the fairgrounds chain link fence , then enter and retrieve. They don’t security scan you going out...

at some point they keep pushing legal law abiding people into criminal gray area, at some point the law abiding people begin thinking and acting as they have been prescribed. It’s human nature and fact.

jagibbons

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2019
    Zionsville

Is that rule from the 1500 or a change to state code regarding carry at the fairgrounds for events other than the state fair?

Top Bottom