• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Let see If I understand this correctly? Ohio is an open carry state. Meaning I can carry as long as it's not concealed? I'm just passing thru the state. Won't be there for more than 20 miles. I don't plan on getting out of my truck.

Ohio is an open carry state, but they consider a firearm in a car to be concealed, no matter how it is carried so you need a permit/license that they honor to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. And there are several other rules including how it can be carried with or without a permit in a vehicle, and a duty to immediately inform. And I've been told that they consider a loaded magazine to be a loaded firearm.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Let see If I understand this correctly? Ohio is an open carry state. Meaning I can carry as long as it's not concealed? I'm just passing thru the state. Won't be there for more than 20 miles. I don't plan on getting out of my truck.
    Yes, you CAN carry through there. (just like you CAN carry at a school**)
    If you are just passing through, then IIRC Ohio's laws get superceded by the 'Peacable Journey' federal rule which allows you to drive through a state with your weapon (regardless of their position on the matter).
    Here are a couple of stipulations:
    1. You cannot stop. Not for hotel. Not for gas. You are passing through.
    2. You need to be legal to carry in originating state.
    3. you need to be legal to carry at destination.

Now if you get pulled over, you might want a printed copy of the actual law.

**to carry at a school, you have to be in your vehicle (like picking up or dropping off a kid). Your vehicle can be parked and shut off.
    The instant you open your door and step foot on the school ground, you are in violation of the law.

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    OK, this is what's confusing me. If you read section E, 1 and A in descending order I read it as being able to carry as long as it's on my person in my vehicle.

IS this correct?

This is the site I got the following from. Ohio CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

ohio.gif
    Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue. Temporary emergency permits can be granted for extreme circumstances. Applicants must be an Ohio resident for 45 days before application and at least 21 years old. Take note of the forbidden carry zones in the booklet as day-care centers are also on the list.
    Sub. Senate Bill 184

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=127_SB_184

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person's person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    OK, this is what's confusing me. If you read section E, 1 and A in descending order I read it as being able to carry as long as it's on my person in my vehicle.

IS this correct?

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

That is correct, but it applies to people holding a carry license/permit that Ohio honors. Ohio allows open carry without a license, but they consider having it in a vehicle no matter how its carried to be concealed and you have to have a license for that. If you don't have one that they honor it must be unloaded and stored as follows.
    2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

And by law a firearm is considered loaded if there are rounds in a magazine or speed loader that fits the firearm.

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Talk about confusing. I just did my research on West Virginia and North Carolina... you wouldn't believe their laws. I'm thankful Indiana is so free in comparison.

W.V. has no reciprocity with us, so the standard federal laws apply while driving thru the state.

N.C. has reciprocity, but the poor citizens of that state are burdened with a LOT of details. For instance; they can't carry in bars, banks, any public gathering, beaches, and if a store puts up a no guns sign, it carries the weight of state law! You also have to notify when you get pulled over.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Talk about confusing. I just did my research on West Virginia and North Carolina... you wouldn't believe their laws. I'm thankful Indiana is so free in comparison.

W.V. has no reciprocity with us, so the standard federal laws apply while driving thru the state.

N.C. has reciprocity, but the poor citizens of that state are burdened with a LOT of details. For instance; they can't carry in bars, banks, any public gathering, beaches, and if a store puts up a no guns sign, it carries the weight of state law! You also have to notify when you get pulled over.

You can OC in WV, with the exception of Charleston and Dunbar. Cops aren't overly fond of it, but no one said anything to us on our visit home.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Ok so say I am driving out to Utah to go Wheeling. What am I to do in Kansas and Illinois? Missouri, Colorado, and Utah Honor the IN permit are we saying I can't stop in Kansas for gas, My jeep won't make it through Kansas without filling up once. :D Can I carry through there if it is in its case unloaded and locked?

Last edited:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    you can carry in Lake Co. Indiana. we cannot carry or even possess, unloaded, in a locked fashion in cook county(Chicago) Illinois. and Daley? what a whore and anti-gun maggot! by the way, don't get caught in Illinois with an unloaded handgun while transporting to and from a range. they are very, very serious about their FOID card and outsiders are not welcome. they come down hard enough on their own residents.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ok so say I am driving out to Utah to go Wheeling. What am I to do in Kansas and Illinois? Missouri, Colorado, and Utah Honor the IN permit are we saying I can't stop in Kansas for gas, My jeep won't make it through Kansas without filling up once. :D Can I carry through there if it is in its case unloaded and locked?

Code of Federal Regulations
    Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
    glove compartment or console.
    US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

So cased/unloaded/not accessible(firearm AND ammo) you can transport through those two states you mentioned.
    But there is case law that says you cannot stop for any reason not necessary for the continuation of the journey. Stopping for gas (imo others vary) would be a reason necessary for the continuation of the journey. But stopping to take a picture of the worlds biggest ball of twine is not, or visiting a friend/granny/business associate etc is not. Also state law applies to what is considered unloaded, for instance OH considers magazines and speed loaders to be a loaded firearm.

IANAL, TINLA, ETC. this is just my :twocents:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    everytime the 1500 is in town a company appears in the paper advertising a permit class for a utah permit, are they legit?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While researching something else today, I was looking over handgunlaw.us and found some surprising and positive information.

Indiana has not changed.
    We are still recognized as valid in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NH, NC, ND, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY, with CO, FL, MI, and NH recognizing only resident LTCHs.

For those who hold UT CFPs also, we add DE, MN, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, and WV.

In addition, while they do not recognize either of these, KS no longer is restricted to resident only and ME now recognizes other states resident permits. When last I looked, they recognized only their own, as did NE.

Even in these times, some laws are still moving toward freedom. I take this as a very good sign.

Blessings,
    Bill

tsbolton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    DANVILLE
    A friend told me you could obtain a Florida permit while still being a resident of Indiana. Not sure why you would need to do such if they reconize our cc permits . Just wondering!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A friend told me you could obtain a Florida permit while still being a resident of Indiana. Not sure why you would need to do such if they reconize our cc permits . Just wondering!

Florida permits are honored by a couple of states that don't honor IN ltch such as Ohio for instance. You can also get a non-resident permit from Utah and several other states.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    thank you for this info. Am going to tenn. this summer and its good to know that kentucky and tennessee both honor our states rtcf.

Top Bottom