• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    In response to this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ch_ouch_farkin_ouch_graphic_though_funny.html

1. Does anyone know if this was a steel toed boot?
    2. Does anyone know if a steel toed boot could withstand a gunshot?
    3. Anyone who doesnt know...care to venture an opinion?

I do not know the answer (and I probably wont shoot my boots anytime soon), but I would guess that a steel toe couldnt withstand 9mm or bigger...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Steel toes are bad news. If something falls on my foot that is heavy enough to break my toes it will most likely break the steel insert. I'd rather have broken toes than no toes at all.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Steel toes are bad news. If something falls on my foot that is heavy enough to break my toes it will most likely break the steel insert. I'd rather have broken toes than no toes at all.

Actually, its been proven that steel toe boots are the way to go. If something heavy falls on them, it will just smash the steel. The only way it would smash it enough to hurt your toes is if it around 5,000 pounds. If you weren't wearing steel toes, your toes would be broken in half at no more than 500 pounds.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Moral of the story:

Steel toed boots do protect your toes from most common home or workplace accidents better than normal boots or shoes.

They do not protect your toes from bullets, 10 ton I-beams, or very large concrete blocks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Actually, its been proven that steel toe boots are the way to go. If something heavy falls on them, it will just smash the steel. The only way it would smash it enough to hurt your toes is if it around 5,000 pounds. If you weren't wearing steel toes, your toes would be broken in half at no more than 500 pounds.

I'll stick to my no slip shoes with no steel toe (technically because of law suits now called safety toe.)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Proof?

IIRC mythbusters tested this a LONG time ago, it was one of their early episodes. IIRC their findings were that no matter what, the steel toes did not make any injuries worse than without the steel toes, but they did protect from the smaller impacts (which is what they're designed to do). Please stop spreading myths, steel toes save people's toes every day; how often do they chop toes off from really heavy objects falling on them? If that heavy object fell on a normal boot do you really think the toes would be salvageable?

To the OP, no those are not steel toe boots. You can tell by the way the leather is worn. Steel toe boots will have the leather directly over the steel "beat up" more because the steel provides a "backer" to the leather and causes more damage to the leather rather than the leather just giving way. In the below picture you can sort of see a line where the steel stops/starts.
    image049.jpg

ETA, found a better picture. See how the leather is so rough and discolored in the front 2-3 inches of the toe? If there was a direct over-head shot you'd be able to clearly see the line where the edge of the steel is.
    P2100012.JPG

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I may have to see if I can dig up an old pair of steel toe's around here. If I can I will conduct an "experiment". Not like I don't have anything better to do anyway:):

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i have had steel toe for years. they save your toes. had a sissor lift run over my toe and it saved them. it deformed them a little i cut them out when the soles wore out on the boot and put them on display in my house. i would say it would tear a hole in the metal and keep going if you shot your own foot.

i have a pair of steel toe boots that the sole is wore out and i would give to who ever wants the test this out. just let me know.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    i have had steel toe for years. they save your toes. had a sissor lift run over my toe and it saved them. it deformed them a little i cut them out when the soles wore out on the boot and put them on display in my house. i would say it would tear a hole in the metal and keep going if you shot your own foot.

i have a pair of steel toe boots that the sole is wore out and i would give to who ever wants the test this out. just let me know.

But when you test this out, your foot has to be in the boot! :D

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Im more than willing to test it out... I have 150 acres so we wouldnt have to go to a range...

But no one is shooting my foot

Na no feet. Just shoot the boot. It would seem like any damage would be obvious.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    how about putting some hotdogs in there for toes and do it up right,

start with 22 and work your way up

take lots of pictures and put something between you and the boot I would hate to hear you got splattered

But to all you folks who doubt steel toes I have to say the newer boots and shoes are not as heavy or have comfort issues if you get good ones, I have been wearing them for 10 years and I thought at first they would be a PITA but I was wrong, they are comfortable and while I don't work outside I haven't noticed any cold toes when I work in them on the weekends, I've had about 3 times where I have said to myself "whewww glad I had these steel toes"

I admit osha goes stupid but its for the rest of us to use common sense,

oops I soapboxed

back to the experiment

Oh by the way I don't condone or promote anyone doing anything that may cause harm to themselves or their surroundings

But I would like to see the boot shoot

Top Bottom