• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i have had steel toe for years. they save your toes. had a sissor lift run over my toe and it saved them. it deformed them a little i cut them out when the soles wore out on the boot and put them on display in my house. i would say it would tear a hole in the metal and keep going if you shot your own foot.

i have a pair of steel toe boots that the sole is wore out and i would give to who ever wants the test this out. just let me know.

Steel toes (really composite materials now) are meant to protect the last 1 to 1 1/2 of your toes, any thing that lands inwards can and will crush the plate down, and almost have a cutting effect on how it hits, but it's still better than no protection at all.

That said, I believe that I read once that women are no longer allowed to wear spiked heels in the Parthenon in Athens, Greece because a 110lb woman exerts in excess of 50,000 psi on the heel.

Now since I work with 165lb kegs of beer, imagine what the psi is when it falls 1 foot and lands on a 1 square on my toes. I'll wear the steel toes thank you very much.:D

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Steel toes are bad news. If something falls on my foot that is heavy enough to break my toes it will most likely break the steel insert. I'd rather have broken toes than no toes at all.

This reminds me of something funny.

When I was in the Navy, going to school, we had a tradition\hazing ritual anytime someone made rank.
    We would punch them in the arm on the new patch "Tack it on", so it wouldn't come off. Other services may do this as well but I'm not aware of it.
    Anyway my roommate gets the bright idea to cut down a coffee can and wrap it around his bicep under his shirt. :D

The first guy who hit it compressed the metal on his arm pinching the crap out of my roommate. I can see his face even today. :laugh:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Steel toes are bad news. If something falls on my foot that is heavy enough to break my toes it will most likely break the steel insert. I'd rather have broken toes than no toes at all.

human flesh and bones have nowhere near the stength of steel. if something is strong enough to crush the steel in the toes of the shoe you wouldnt have toes any way if you didnt have the steel there. you would have a sack of bone soup where you foot used to be. the lift that ran over my boot weighs 3000lbs.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    My toes have been saved by steel toed boots. I was working in a transmission shop while I was in school. We had a large pile of complete cores in an adjacent building. I went to grab one off the pile when a C-6 (big Ford transmission) trans slid off and landed on my toe. It still had the converter in it.....it slid 18" down. The force was enough to bend the edge of the steel down to the top of my foot.
    We had to cut the steel to get the boot off. I had a large bruise on the top of my foot and a lot of swelling, but nothing broken.
    I have worn steel toes ever since.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Steel toed shoes have saved my foot as well. I worked at a paint shop where we used an old powered pallet jack weighing in around 2 tons. Outback behind the shop there was a concrete platform for unloading and surrounding that was a quarter inch drop to the surrounding asphalt for the parking lot.

I was unloading the truck one day and the concrete gave way causing the jack to rollback onto my foot. It managed to crush the steel in my boot enough so that you could feel a difference, but aside from some lovely bruising I was fine.

To anyone doubting the effectiveness of steel toes go take a sledge hammer to a pair, then do the same to your foot. Feel free to tell us which one holds up better:):

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I wear steel toe boots with metatasil guards, I have had a F-250 drive straight over the top of my foot and I did not even feel it, I would not wear anything else. I have worn steel toe boots daily for the past 5 years! :rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Since we're telling our steel-toe boot stories I'll tell mine.

This goes back to college, while building the homecoming bonfire at Rose-Hulman. I was on the bonfire committee so so I was helping my sophomore year (freshmen build it). Anyways, I can't remember the exact circumstances, but one end of a 200 lb railroad tie fell from about 4-5 feet and landed on my steel-toe boot. It bounced back up high enough for me to catch it in the air before it hit again. Without a doubt, my toes would've been crushed had it not been for the steel-toes. And that impact didn't even noticably deform the steel. Redwing must use some sort of spring/hardened steel in their boots.

As a side note, with my 1 year building and 3 years on the committee (supervising) I can't tell you how many smashed toes (not many broken) I saw out there, but my toes never had such trouble.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I couldnt find any steel toe vs bullet vids...but heres an appetizer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8zSPF7U_SI"]YouTube - steel toe boot vs 27lb cast iron block (JDE)[/ame]

(Unrelated coolness:) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdxVrTsdND4&feature=related"]YouTube - Mythbusters Chopping down a tree with Machine Gun!!! pt 1[/ame]

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Proof?

IIRC mythbusters tested this a LONG time ago, it was one of their early episodes. IIRC their findings were that no matter what, the steel toes did not make any injuries worse than without the steel toes, but they did protect from the smaller impacts (which is what they're designed to do). Please stop spreading myths, steel toes save people's toes every day; how often do they chop toes off from really heavy objects falling on them? If that heavy object fell on a normal boot do you really think the toes would be salvageable?

To the OP, no those are not steel toe boots. You can tell by the way the leather is worn. Steel toe boots will have the leather directly over the steel "beat up" more because the steel provides a "backer" to the leather and causes more damage to the leather rather than the leather just giving way. In the below picture you can sort of see a line where the steel stops/starts.
    image049.jpg

ETA, found a better picture. See how the leather is so rough and discolored in the front 2-3 inches of the toe? If there was a direct over-head shot you'd be able to clearly see the line where the edge of the steel is.
    P2100012.JPG
    Thank you. I've been wearing steel toes for about 14 years now and they have saved my toes several times. In fact, they've actually turned into a useful tool. When carrying very large items and needing a rest before I reach my destination, I will rest the item on my steel toe so that I don't have to pry it off the ground again. VERY USEFUL.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Necrothread Revival!
    I was thinking about this as I was getting ready to throw away some boots. Bear with me as my pic skills suck.
    I went out and shot the steel toe boots this morning. The results really suprised me! I figured everything would blow right through them.

So, here is my attempt to share the results.

The boots. No cheap Chinese stuff here. Good ole made in the USA.

The Guns.

737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/dak109/2016_01010004.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I quit at the Marlin 1894 in 44mag.

The 22 Ruger american with a HTA Guardian shooting CCI Standard velocity at 25 yards. Penetrated the leather but that was it.

Next up, Ruger SR9c loaded with Red Star Gold Dot hollow points. Leather penetration, and squirted around the toe and exited the leather.

Next up the Smith loaded with 125gr RNFPL over 5.5 gr of power pistol, not a hot load. Put a bad shot on it the first one, the second was a better shot. I should note that all pistols were fired from 21 feet.
    737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/dak109/2016_01010011.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here is the Marlin 1894, 240 gr Hornady XTP over 23.5 gr of H110.
    37.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/dak109/2016_01010013.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Now I realize I left out the most important part. So here is what I found when I cut the leater away.
    The 22.

The 9mm.

The 357. Recovered lead.

The 44 before cutting the leather away. This is the first round to make it through.

And now, the moment we have all been waiting for....

This was impressive. the steel toe was completely seperated from the rest of the boot.

While no where near as good as LMW tests. I tried to give an accurate portrayal of what different rounds from different weapons will do to steel toe boots.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom