• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I need another SS, and am kicking around the idea of an STI (in 45) to chase a few contingency bucks.

Will they run out of the box? Or would I need to send it to GH2 or Brazos or whoever to make the thing work?

How tightly fit are they?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Rob
    I had issues with mine,but it is a 40. The fit is good ,the finish, not so much.I've worn it off in places with dryfire and such.I'll get it refinished someday when it starts to bother me.
    I have heard nothing but good about their SS guns in 45 but I don't own one.
    I think GH2 has mine fixed 2000 rounds or so will tell the tale.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had an sti trojan that I bought off here used, but was in like new shape.
    I had George add ambi safeties, smith&alexander magwell, keonig hammer, nowlin trigger and egw sear, disconnector and trigger job and smooth out some rough spots.

Gun was tight and accurate ran my 200gr wad cutter rounds just fine.
    The finish looked like crap, needed redone so I sent to Metaloy and had it done in two tone black over hardchrome. Looked great.
    Want to get a 40 built since that is what I mostly reload anyway so I sold it and Bart has it.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know two guys I talked into buying a Sentry in 9mm for FNS and they've both had good luck with them. I wouldn't buy less than the Sentry or Lawman model if I could help it though, but only because I prefer checkering on the front strap.

Sentry_1a.jpg

Lawman5_ODG_1a.jpg

Last edited:

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    I have the Sentry and it has ran great with out any problems. I use Trip mags with it with no problems

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My only complaint about STI is that every trigger bow I've seen has been sloppy. They take to much material off the top and bottom of the shoe. That is the only thing I needed to replaced on my STI.

If you don't mind adding sand paper to the front strap, Trojans are a heck of a deal. The USPSA models are awesome, tri-topped with saber tooth serration.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Trojan - 9mm - round count maybe 6000 ish.
    Ran well from day 1. Broke the slide release last year (fluke ?) & felt like it was time to replace the recoil spring after 5k rounds or so.
    Replaced the mag release button with one just a smidge longer & added ICE magwell.
    The finish sucks but my guns tend to all show signs of use so I can live with this, it is hard to see why they don't put a more hardy blueing on it though.
    I would not call it a particularly tight fitting gun but it is as tight as I want for a reliable match gun.
    I'm very happy with it.
    Seems to like Trip cobra mags.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I know two guys I talked into buying a Sentry in 9mm for FNS and they've both had good luck with them. I wouldn't buy less than the Sentinel or Lawman model if I could help it though, but only because I prefer checkering on the front strap.

Those are the 2 models I'm considering. I like the USPSA and LOVE the cocking serrations, except for that awful rollmark. That's a deal-breaker. If it were a naked slide, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

I'm leaning towards the Sentry - the website says the magwell is already blended. I wish they had pics of it though. If it's done well, that's a big plus there as compared to the Lawman, which I'd have to blend and refinish.

The STI website also says that the Sentry has the S-7 Sear, but is silent on what is in the lawman...dunno if that means they use a cheap MIM part or what. Not a huge deal, I've got a spare S-7 sear and and EGW HD sear in the parts bin.

I'd dump the recoil master. I don't like the slow recoil feeling they have.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You might check out the Remington 1911 the enhanced model. My brother bought one and I shot it a little bit and I think it was better than Jake's Trojan. There was nothing wrong with the Trojan a little duct tape could not fix though.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have the "low-end" STI, the Spartan and love it! The slide, frame, and barrel fit are great. The stock trigger it comes with is ****... I replaced the trigger with an SV group and now all is well :)

Craig T

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Avon
    I am also looking for a sti Ss in 9mm for my wife. Where would you say is a good place to pick one up?

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Those are the 2 models I'm considering. I like the USPSA and LOVE the cocking serrations, except for that awful rollmark. That's a deal-breaker. If it were a naked slide, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

I'm leaning towards the Sentry - the website says the magwell is already blended. I wish they had pics of it though. If it's done well, that's a big plus there as compared to the Lawman, which I'd have to blend and refinish.

The STI website also says that the Sentry has the S-7 Sear, but is silent on what is in the lawman...dunno if that means they use a cheap MIM part or what. Not a huge deal, I've got a spare S-7 sear and and EGW HD sear in the parts bin.

I'd dump the recoil master. I don't like the slow recoil feeling they have.

I just noticed the Sentry says it has a flat topped slide, where the Lawman is a standard rounded top. Not a big deal, but anything I can do to lighten up the slide on a 1911 (within reason) I'd do. I prefer Tri-topped, but if you're going for a factory gun, the Sentry sounds like a good deal to me.

Run it until the finish wears off, get it exactly how you want it, and then send it off for IonBond in a year or two.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I had a low end spartan for a while. Ran great, never a malfunction. Kept it under the bed, carried it when I wanted more than my .38, and shot it in a couple matches. Not a SS obviously, but my Trubor has been simply awesome over about 60k rounds.....

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I like my Trojan.

Started as a Brazos Enhanced package, George's trigger job, flat Wilson trigger, Ed Brown ambi safeties, Dawson FO front. 2nd barrel (mysterious squib...it's like from the Twilight Zone). 40,000 rds. Sent it out to Metaloy for hard chrome, hell, it's only money, not like it makes me happy just having it. Makes me happy to buy cool stuff with it.

I started to figure up how much I've got in it but got depressed around $1800, stopped counting and fixed a drink.

It works and I like shooting it and I've got an exwife with $10K worth of jewelry that I ain't enjoying.

I feel better. Think I'll make another drink
    cheers.gif

You're welcome to shoot mine any time.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Don't start with that "it's only money" talk! I fondled a nighthawk at Indiana gun club today, handguns don't get more perfect than that.

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    The Sentry has a nice tight fit. The trigger is ok out of the box could use some work. Been happy with it so far mine is 9mm

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Meh. Why buy something that needs to be 'fixed' out of the box?

I know, I know, that sounds crazy to all you 2011 guys. :laugh:

Top Bottom