• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    INDIANAPOLIS (WXIN) – Her family said Jeanettrius Moore worked hard at a beauty supply shop to support herself and two little girls and appreciated the most recent $1,400 stimulus check issued to help Americans recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The father of her youngest baby, Malik Halfacre, thought he should get half, according to Moore’s relatives.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    INDIANAPOLIS (WXIN) – Her family said Jeanettrius Moore worked hard at a beauty supply shop to support herself and two little girls and appreciated the most recent $1,400 stimulus check issued to help Americans recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The father of her youngest baby, Malik Halfacre, thought he should get half, according to Moore’s relatives.

But joe hogs**t said it was because of a gun. I sure am confused.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While that is certainly possible, it would depend on how good the evidence was.
    Considering the numbers of plea bargains and early releases we have in Marion County, I can only conclude that we are surrounded by brilliant criminal masterminds that are just so clever that they don't leave enough evidence to be convicted. Whodathunkit?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hear the same from Marion County. Honestly, some lawyers aren't willing to risk a loss and trials are real work. A lot of prosecutors and deputy prosecutors have political aspirations...it gets in the way of good decision making at times.
    Then they should quit and take out an ad on city buses like the other ambulance chasers instead of being in positions of power.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hear the same from Marion County. Honestly, some lawyers aren't willing to risk a loss and trials are real work. A lot of prosecutors and deputy prosecutors have political aspirations...it gets in the way of good decision making at times.
    Major thread drift but I've been meaning to ask you about a fictional TV series my wife and I just finished. It is very hard for us to find a show she likes and I can tolerate and though at times, I was going to quit watching it, I hung in til the end.

The show is Suits. It's about a New York law firm. My lawyer niece says she won't watch it because it is not reality but if you are familiar with it, was any of it plausible?

For instance:

The idea of "I owe you one". People say this all the time but don't really expect to call it in at a later time. The show made it almost seem like a legally binding contract.

Or what about the whole partner thing? If I understand, a partner gets to share in the overall winnings(profit?) of the firm. Is it a really big deal and is there a lot of posturing to make "partner". And what's up with getting your name on the wall?

And do lawyers use fairly aggressive stances and bluff a lot to get the other side to cave under intense pressure including threats, strong language? You mentioned a trial is a lot of work. The show pushed to settle most of the series. There were very few trials.

And are associates treated like interns?

You can PM me if you want to stop the drift, lol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Major thread drift but I've been meaning to ask you about a fictional TV series my wife and I just finished. It is very hard for us to find a show she likes and I can tolerate and though at times, I was going to quit watching it, I hung in til the end.

The show is Suits. It's about a New York law firm. My lawyer niece says she won't watch it because it is not reality but if you are familiar with it, was any of it plausible?

For instance:

The idea of "I owe you one". People say this all the time but don't really expect to call it in at a later time. The show made it almost seem like a legally binding contract.

Or what about the whole partner thing? If I understand, a partner gets to share in the overall winnings(profit?) of the firm. Is it a really big deal and is there a lot of posturing to make "partner". And what's up with getting your name on the wall?

And do lawyers use fairly aggressive stances and bluff a lot to get the other side to cave under intense pressure including threats, strong language? You mentioned a trial is a lot of work. The show pushed to settle most of the series. There were very few trials.

And are associates treated like interns?

You can PM me if you want to stop the drift, lol.
    The sine qua non of INGO is thread drift.

I haven't seen the show. I will address what I can.

"I owe you one" has no legal effect. Possibly a moral obligation, but nothing enforceable.

Partnership takes many forms and completely depends upon how the firm is organized. In "Big Law"- the large firms in big cities or the large firms with hundreds of lawyers and many branches, there absolutely is competition for partnership and politics. Heck, I even saw that in my former firm with 45 attorneys.

If it is a true "partnership" there will be sharing of profits, but that does not necessarily mean equal shares. There can be income variations depending upon production, rainmaking, other responsibilities (managing the firm, for instance), longevity and how badly you want to keep someone. In some firms, it is strictly "eat what you kill", that is, expenses are shared, but your income is what you produce. In medium to large firms (starting around 20 people and up), partnership is usually more formal. There can be tiers of partners such as "limited partners" and "general partners" and "junior partners" and "senior partners". It just depends on the partnership agreement. In my old firm, there were "non-equity" partners and "equity partners" and then 4 tiers of equity partners. In my present firm, there are limited partners and general partners.

As for names on the wall, in larger and/or older firms, you generally keep the name that the firm had when it made its reputation. Smaller firms without a multi-generational existence will change depending upon who drifts in and out. My former firm only had 1 of the original name partners still there and he was semi-retired, fully retired by the time I left. My present firm has 2 names and both are dead.

The desire for partnership in medium to large firms is position, privilege and money. The transition from associate to partner is (generally speaking) that from assisting a partner on a case with the partner being in charge, to you being the one in charge of the case. However, this varies greatly as I was trying jury trials on my own pretty early on as an associate. I am a general partner in my current firm. I don't have a boss. I come and go as I please. I don't have to ask permission to take a day here or there or leave whenever. However, the expectation is that if you could not be trusted to work hard and be where you had to be and take care of business, you never would have been a partner to begin with. Frankly, it's great to be surrounded by people who don't need to be told what to do and just do it. We are all business owners, so we act like it.

Do lawyers posture and bluff? Absolutely. However, if it all comes down to a trial, evidence is evidence and puffing out your chest only goes so far. If a trial lawyer knows how to read people and knows how to use evidence to effect people, he can do pretty well.

Associates are new lawyers. They are very similar to residents in the medical field. They know a lot and have their licenses, but are still learning. Usually they are smart, but quality representation takes more than book-smarts. That takes years to learn. John Grisham novels aside, brand new lawyers are downright dangerous to their clients...however under the law, they are allowed to do anything I am allowed to do and I have been doing this for over 22 years.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Typical Marion County "Justice" administered by Marion County's elected officials, elected by Marion County residents. I feel bad for our outnumbered friends behind enemy lines but every major city in this country is a lost cause and it isn't an issue of race, there are plenty of white, hispanic and black criminals who have overwhelmed our justice systems. The bleeding hearts have eliminated any hope of preventing crime through fear of punishment, why wouldn't these scumbags just do whatever they want? This POS will probably be out within 10 years to do it yet again.

I'd rather live in a 40yr old trailer on a half acre lot surrounded by corn fields than in that (or any other) city again. Simply not having your head on a swivel 18 hours a day is bound to extend one's life expectancy. I never realized how miserable I was until I got out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The sine qua non of INGO is thread drift.

I haven't seen the show. I will address what I can.

"I owe you one" has no legal effect. Possibly a moral obligation, but nothing enforceable.

Partnership takes many forms and completely depends upon how the firm is organized. In "Big Law"- the large firms in big cities or the large firms with hundreds of lawyers and many branches, there absolutely is competition for partnership and politics. Heck, I even saw that in my former firm with 45 attorneys.

If it is a true "partnership" there will be sharing of profits, but that does not necessarily mean equal shares. There can be income variations depending upon production, rainmaking, other responsibilities (managing the firm, for instance), longevity and how badly you want to keep someone. In some firms, it is strictly "eat what you kill", that is, expenses are shared, but your income is what you produce. In medium to large firms (starting around 20 people and up), partnership is usually more formal. There can be tiers of partners such as "limited partners" and "general partners" and "junior partners" and "senior partners". It just depends on the partnership agreement. In my old firm, there were "non-equity" partners and "equity partners" and then 4 tiers of equity partners. In my present firm, there are limited partners and general partners.

As for names on the wall, in larger and/or older firms, you generally keep the name that the firm had when it made its reputation. Smaller firms without a multi-generational existence will change depending upon who drifts in and out. My former firm only had 1 of the original name partners still there and he was semi-retired, fully retired by the time I left. My present firm has 2 names and both are dead.

The desire for partnership in medium to large firms is position, privilege and money. The transition from associate to partner is (generally speaking) that from assisting a partner on a case with the partner being in charge, to you being the one in charge of the case. However, this varies greatly as I was trying jury trials on my own pretty early on as an associate. I am a general partner in my current firm. I don't have a boss. I come and go as I please. I don't have to ask permission to take a day here or there or leave whenever. However, the expectation is that if you could not be trusted to work hard and be where you had to be and take care of business, you never would have been a partner to begin with. Frankly, it's great to be surrounded by people who don't need to be told what to do and just do it. We are all business owners, so we act like it.

Do lawyers posture and bluff? Absolutely. However, if it all comes down to a trial, evidence is evidence and puffing out your chest only goes so far. If a trial lawyer knows how to read people and knows how to use evidence to effect people, he can do pretty well.

Associates are new lawyers. They are very similar to residents in the medical field. They know a lot and have their licenses, but are still learning. Usually they are smart, but quality representation takes more than boob-smarts. That takes years to learn. John Grisham novels aside, brand new lawyers are downright dangerous to their clients...however under the law, they are allowed to do anything I am allowed to do and I have been doing this for over 22 years.
    Thanks! Then there was some accurate portrayals after all. I won't go into it but in each of your paragraphs were examples shown during the series.

Top Bottom