• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sorry for confusion. Yes, the Legislature here in Indiana.
    Something sort of different. It used to be that just pointing a gun without firing it was "reasonable force" if reasonable force but not lethal force was justified under the IC. The state Supreme ct rule that simply pointing a gun is lethal force. The legislature is if I understand correctly trying to bring it back to reasonable non lethal force, if justified. If not justified, still illegal. I hope that's clear.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Prosecutor says quadruple murder case qualifies for death penalty; Halfacre formally charged​

Let's see...
    • Four counts of murder
    • Attempted murder
    • Armed robbery
    • Felon carrying a handgun
    • Auto theft
    Probably get pled down to jaywalking and time served if he follows the tradition of Marion County Prosecutors. But hey, a conviction is a conviction, right? Still a "W" in his column. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know I've said this ad nauseum, but I still believe that prosecutors, judges and parole boards should be held personally responsible for the people they allow to be released. If they offend again, then they will be charged with the same crimes as the offenders. I think there would be a marked decrease in the revolving door system of justice if they had some skin in the game.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I know I've said this ad nauseum, but I still believe that prosecutors, judges and parole boards should be held personally responsible for the people they allow to be released. If they offend again, then they will be charged with the same crimes as the offenders. I think there would be a marked decrease in the revolving door system of justice if they had some skin in the game.
    What about the voters who keep re-electing them?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Nobody would ever serve in those positions again.

Ultimately, humans have free will and nobody controls the behavior of another. The way this SHOULD work is the voters look at the patterns of behavior in the people these office-holders are releasing, then decide if they deserve to remain in office or not. Sadly that information is not readily available to the average voter and nobody votes downballot anyway.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nobody would ever serve in those positions again.

Ultimately, humans have free will and nobody controls the behavior of another. The way this SHOULD work is the voters look at the patterns of behavior in the people these office-holders are releasing, then decide if they deserve to remain in office or not. Sadly that information is not readily available to the average voter and nobody votes downballot anyway.
    Which only proves that they are not in it for altruistic reasons like "justice for all". They're in it to enrich themselves and put another "notch" in their bedposts.

But really, that information is indeed available to the average voter. But the average voter just chooses not to look for it. As for parole boards, I think they're appointed though, not voted for.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Which only proves that they are not in it for altruistic reasons like "justice for all". They're in it to enrich themselves and put another "notch" in their bedposts.

But really, that information is indeed available to the average voter. But the average voter just chooses not to look for it.
    They would refuse to serve because they do not wish to be sent to prison for the free will actions of others who they do not control. That, or you'd create an incentive structure where everyone is sentenced to life without parole or execution, every time, for every crime, to avoid being jailed for what they do after they're let out.

It's just not an incentive structure anyone would ever willingly function under. Like imagine if you were a business owner and a law was passed dictating that you be jailed for the same period of time as any employee of yours who is convicted of any crime, on or off the clock. You'd cease employing people immediately, because you don't control what they do, and no amount of threatening or punishing you is going to change their choices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They would refuse to serve because they do not wish to be sent to prison for the free will actions of others who they do not control. That, or you'd create an incentive structure where everyone is sentenced to life without parole or execution, every time, for every crime, to avoid being jailed for what they do after they're let out.

It's just not an incentive structure anyone would ever willingly function under. Like imagine if you were a business owner and a law was passed dictating that you be jailed for the same period of time as any employee of yours who is convicted of any crime, on or off the clock. You'd cease employing people immediately, because you don't control what they do, and no amount of threatening or punishing you is going to change their choices.
    I know you're right, but a fella can dream... :): Just sick of this type of thing happening over and over again with nobody being held responsible.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ooh! Here's an idea! Prosecutors are allowed 3 plea deals per year. Kind of like "calling a friend" in a game show. After that, you have to actually work for your salary.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I know you're right, but a fella can dream... :): Just sick of this type of thing happening over and over again with nobody being held responsible.
    I 100% agree with the need for accountability. Ultimately it is on the people to provide that accountability, and we fail to do so. You can blame the officials all you want, but we are the ones who allow them to have those positions. A people get the government, police, and courts they deserve in the end.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Getting in between a thug and money is always dangerous. Trial and hanging after conviction.

Top Bottom