Stock vs Pistol Brace: What's the real difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I've tried searching for information on this question in the past, but can't seem to find anything that lays it out in a definite manner, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows where to find reliable information.

Basically, what is, objectively speaking, the difference between a pistol brace and a stock? I understand the difference in concept (a pistol brace is ostensibly designed for greater stabilization while one-handed shooting, a stock is designed to shoulder) but is there an objective way to classify something as one or the other, or does the ATF just look at them an go, "Oh, that one looks like a stock to me, and that one looks like a pistol brace"?

For instance, if I wanted design myself a pistol brace (carving it out of wood, say) how do I know what measurements will count as a pistol brace? Are there specific limitations on the length from the trigger to the rear of the brace? Limitations on the surface area of the brace?

Any help would be appreciated!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Wow, so it really is just up to the subjective interpretation of whatever random agent happens to see it? Designing or making your own pistol brace would just be putting your freedom at the whim of a bureaucrat. You'd think I'd be used to how messed up the system is by now, but it just never ceases to shock me...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just what is supposed to come. Enforcement expected sometime around August. (I dont recall the exact date)
    And if I remember right they said that even if it meets all the qualifications for a braced pistol, they still can say it's a short barreled rifle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And if I remember right they said that even if it meets all the qualifications for a braced pistol, they still can say it's a short barreled rifle.
    Yes. if you read the form VERY carefully, you will find its verbiage is VERY subjective.

"Rear Surface useful for shouldering the firearm" By who's standard? Some might find the blade is still useful for shouldering. I wouldnt, but somebody else might.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes. if you read the form VERY carefully, you will find its verbiage is VERY subjective.

"Rear Surface useful for shouldering the firearm" By who's standard? Some might find the blade is still useful for shouldering. I wouldnt, but somebody else might.
    Oh I agree with you on that, same with this "Presence of a Sight/Scope with Eye Relief Incompatible with one-handed fire".

But I'm talking about them specifically saying that if it comes in with a point value that indicates it's a braced pistol, they can subjectively on a case by case basis say, nuh-uh that there is a SBR.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

I had a KAK Shockwave on my first pistol build a couple years ago. I had not issues shouldering it, which was legal at the time.
    April - June timeframe is when the current word on when the rule changes may come into effect. GOA is supposedly ready with their lawsuit to counter the rules changes, but they need to see the final version before proceeding with the lawsuit. We cannot expect the NRA to do anything, but GOA and hopefully FPC will get something done.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Not anymore. I was a member of NRA and NRA-ILA and donated money on the side. Seeing the leadership get rich off of us, and then support the bumpstock ban, Red Flag laws, Universal Background checks and the like led me to abandon them and move to GOA and FPC.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not anymore. I was a member of NRA and NRA-ILA and donated money on the side. Seeing the leadership get rich off of us, and then support the bumpstock ban, Red Flag laws, Universal Background checks and the like led me to abandon them and move to GOA and FPC.
    Ok, you cannot complain if they are not doing what you want them to do if you don’t support them…

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    I can have an opinion. Free country and all. Why should I monetarily support an organization that time and time again in recent years while I was a member has shown us that they are not here to actually serve the paying member? It seems the all NRA leadership does is get rich off of the paying members and then support or be neutral on the issues that they are supposed to be standing against. Until Wayne Lapierre and his other buddies are gone, I will not support them and will continue to express my opinion about the NRA.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I can have an opinion. Free country and all. Why should I monetarily support an organization that time and time again in recent years while I was a member has shown us that they are not here to actually serve the paying member? It seems the all NRA leadership does is get rich off of the paying members and then support or be neutral on the issues that they are supposed to be standing against. Until Wayne Lapierre and his other buddies are gone, I will not support them and will continue to express my opinion about the NRA.
    So you buy all the reports that the leftists media say? Those that want to defeat the NRA. So you are willing to cut off your nose to spite your face. Got it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Seeing the leadership get rich off of us, and then support the bumpstock ban, Red Flag laws, Universal Background checks and the like
    So you buy all the reports that the leftists media say? Those that want to defeat the NRA. So you are willing to cut off your nose to spite your face. Got it.
    Are you saying that his take on the positions on the issues he listed was only media slant?

What, in your opinion, was their position on these?
    bumpstock ban
    Red Flag Laws
    UBCs

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Are you saying that his take on the positions on the issues he listed was only media slant?

What, in your opinion, was their position on these?
    bumpstock ban
    Red Flag Laws
    UBCs
    Has the NRA made mistakes? Yes. Is the NRA the ONLY gun rights organization those in power in DC know? Yes. Bumpstocks were a strateic move to stop the momentum in congress for far worse gun control that weak republicans would have supported.

As for NRA getting rich, we have to provide similar compensation and perks to what other CEO’s get with their salaries and stock options to keep the leaders with the contacts in the swamp. We have to have our swamp monsters too.

That said, in contrast to the complainers, I am voting for those that want to make change in the NRA from the board. Something real that is better than most complainers…

Top Bottom