• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Look up how much inconel costs per linear foot for a 1.5" round bar stock.
    Inconel only offers moderately better qualities versus 17-4 if properly heat treated.

and a foot of 17-4 should cost around $40, and is machine-able in the home shop.

tracked down the origin of these letters; here’s where it seems to have started
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general...ressors-Er-Solvent-Traps-for-10-99/5-2242922/
    guess what? No holes, perfectly legal and under the law, not a silencer. More apparent over-reach. So while you personally may not put such “cheap junk” on your gun or waste the $200 on a stamp, it shouldn’t be illegal, nor should it fall under the purview of the ATF

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Inconel only offers moderately better qualities versus 17-4 if properly heat treated.

and a foot of 17-4 should cost around $40, and is machine-able in the home shop.

tracked down the origin of these letters; here’s where it seems to have started
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general...ressors-Er-Solvent-Traps-for-10-99/5-2242922/
    guess what? No holes, perfectly legal and under the law, not a silencer. More apparent over-reach. So while you personally may not put such “cheap junk” on your gun or waste the $200 on a stamp, it shouldn’t be illegal, nor should it fall under the purview of the ATF

They are shipping drilled. That was the whole point. Not to mention that cbp is pursuing an import angle on Chinese gun parts. So drilled or not if cbp determines or thinks that you're importing firearms parts the defense is going to cost you.

Besides the legality of it all, these are actual stings that are taking place. I don't think a 10 dollar fuel filter or muzzle brake is worth the headache of feds at your door.

And the origin of the letter I posted was from an acquaintance and is recent. The last shipment confiscation lead to 5 people in a private nfa group getting letters from feds.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    While we're at it...

Let's not forget that the retail price that we see at a shop is most definitely not the price that the manufacturer charges.

Almost all of them go through a distributor. They need their cut. $80-120 per probably. Then there's the retailer markup. Probably $50-100 depending on the shop and the deal rec'd from the distributor.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    They are shipping drilled. That was the whole point. Not to mention that cbp is pursuing an import angle on Chinese gun parts. So drilled or not if cbp determines or thinks that you're importing firearms parts the defense is going to cost you.

Besides the legality of it all, these are actual stings that are taking place. I don't think a 10 dollar fuel filter or muzzle brake is worth the headache of feds at your door.

And the origin of the letter I posted was from an acquaintance and is recent. The last shipment confiscation lead to 5 people in a private nfa group getting letters from feds.

Some are shipping drilled, those are the obvious no-no monocore setups, however the OP of the thread I posted (the earliest example I see between reddit, the forums I’m on and facebook) bought an undrilled kit, had agents play with it, see it wasn’t drilled and then tell him to surrender it. They’re not just going after the drilled setups.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Some are shipping drilled, those are the obvious no-no monocore setups, however the OP of the thread I posted (the earliest example I see between reddit, the forums I’m on and facebook) bought an undrilled kit, had agents play with it, see it wasn’t drilled and then tell him to surrender it. They’re not just going after the drilled setups.

The guys getting letters now have already had their stuff confiscated at the port. Apparently even cup and spacer filters are arriving drilled. It's dhs and cbp screening them and sending notice to atf and the buyer, and they don't care about drilled /undrilled anyway.

You're free to order whatever you want, but if you don't want alphabet agencies poking around your house don't order these filters.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...They don't need to hunt over bait any more then ISP needs to put covers over the speed limit signs on I-465 to catch speeders...

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Hold on a minute. ISP actually stops people for speeding on 465?

How freaking fast do they have to be going?

Everybody, well, everybody except for one or two morons you usually come across in the far left lane, know those 55MPH signs are a horribly bad joke.

I am a northerner who isn't familiar with local customs, but I've been driving on 465 more frequently with a kid living in St Louis and occasionally flying out of the Indy airport. I've always been genuinely curious about just how fast I should be driving. 55 seems suicidal. I think 80 is technically reckless driving. 70-75 seems to be "goin with the flow".:dunno:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... Hold on a minute. ISP actually stops people for speeding on 465?

How freaking fast do they have to be going?

Everybody, well, everybody except for one or two morons you usually come across in the far left lane, know those 55MPH signs are a horribly bad joke.

I am a northerner who isn't familiar with local customs, but I've been driving on 465 more frequently with a kid living in St Louis and occasionally flying out of the Indy airport. I've always been genuinely curious about just how fast I should be driving. 55 seems suicidal. I think 80 is technically reckless driving. 70-75 seems to be "goin with the flow".:dunno:

Flow of traffic. Generally it's an impd car in the front pacing the field at 65-70.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Got pulled over doing 65 once, just got a warning. I stick to 60 now in the right lane. Besides, I dont wanna run the van too hard with one of those cheap Chinese filters on it anyway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Meh. I'll just order it and have it shipped to my annoying BiL's house in his name and grab it off his front porch before he gets home from work. Let him deal with the ATF if its a sting.

:):

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There was more than one table at Knob Creek in the fall. It does seem very bold to me to even have the table.

I remember at a 1500 long ago, a guy with a table selling "stocks" for your glock pistols. Same scenario. They are perfectly legal unless you put them on your gun without the stamp. But a bad idea to own if you own the firearms as well.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    There was more than one table at Knob Creek in the fall. It does seem very bold to me to even have the table.

I remember at a 1500 long ago, a guy with a table selling "stocks" for your glock pistols. Same scenario. They are perfectly legal unless you put them on your gun without the stamp. But a bad idea to own if you own the firearms as well.

I even remember the same guy selling "perfectly legal sound moderators" that BATFE smacking him on his pee-pee for that.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

If they are undrilled they are fine. If they come from China drilled and you get caught at the port your in trouble for importing silencer /parts, and obtaining an unregistered suppressor. Most guys are getting a pp smack, but they could very well turn you into the next weapons cache confiscation story on the 8 o'clock news. "International arms dealer caught illegally importing regulated firearms into our neighborhood "

Top Bottom