• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not talking about a limited time. How about 4 hours in zero degree weather, while I sleep in the back, in the parking lot at work.

My only personal experience was when I first became a detective I had a Camry hybrid for a few months. It would turn itself back on for HVAC needs. I got my Charger before it got really cold, though.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My only personal experience was when I first became a detective I had a Camry hybrid for a few months. It would turn itself back on for HVAC needs. I got my Charger before it got really cold, though.

Were you on Stop 11 at Sherman yesterday? I saw one of the Chargers with a Fedora stuck in the glass. I immediately thought of you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Were you on Stop 11 at Sherman yesterday? I saw one of the Chargers with a Fedora stuck in the glass. I immediately thought of you.

Nope. I was in my Camaro and out of town. :)

The fedora is either on my head or in the front passenger seat, though, I don't put it on the dash or parcel shelf.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    ​Forget the dryer vent for the tailpipe again?

Lmao

Dude again, the vehicles first priority is to maintain coolant temps, the vehicles I have driven have only shut off while in drive with brake applied, idling in park has nothing to do with start/stop and even if it did shut off in park it would first maintain coolant temps so the HVAC would maintain temps.

Still a horrible feature that I will never have but some of your concerns are irrelevant.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not talking about a limited time. How about 4 hours in zero degree weather, while I sleep in the back, in the parking lot at work.

As I understand it, the stop/start feature does not engage unless you are actually driving the car. It's a non-issue for a car in park, as the engine idles as normal.

I had a 2010 Toyota Prius that I used for a delivery gig for a couple of years. It has start/stop, although as a hybrid it does have the electric motor that engages when you step on the accelerator before the engine kicks in. The engine would kick in as needed to operate the AC or the heat. I bought it used with 117,000 miles and traded it with 232,000 miles after driving it a couple of years. The only engine related problem I had was a clogged EGR valve body, which I fixed with the help of a can of carb cleaner, a few hand tools and a YouTube instructional video.

I must say, though, I'm not a fan of start/stop outside of hybrid vehicles, and I would not own one. Not because of durability concerns, but because it's unnecessary and annoying. Same goes for cylinder deactivation technology.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As I understand it, the stop/start feature does not engage unless you are actually driving the car. It's a non-issue for a car in park, as the engine idles as normal.

I had a 2010 Toyota Prius that I used for a delivery gig for a couple of years. It has start/stop, although as a hybrid it does have the electric motor that engages when you step on the accelerator before the engine kicks in. The engine would kick in as needed to operate the AC or the heat. I bought it used with 117,000 miles and traded it with 232,000 miles after driving it a couple of years. The only engine related problem I had was a clogged EGR valve body, which I fixed with the help of a can of carb cleaner, a few hand tools and a YouTube instructional video.

I must say, though, I'm not a fan of start/stop outside of hybrid vehicles, and I would not own one. Not because of durability concerns, but because it's unnecessary and annoying. Same goes for cylinder deactivation technology.

I can understand it on a hybrid vehicle. And if I was buying a hybrid vehicle, I'd consider that part of the package.
    If they offered cylinder deactivation, and start/stop as an option, I might like it better.
    But when they're moving entire "line" to satisfy laws that just grab mpg numbers out of "thin air"... NOT a big fan.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ford says their entire 2018 model line up will now have the start/stop feature.

I will NEVER own anything with this crap on it!

If this is the case, the 2015 Ford Edge in my driveway will be my last Ford. I was sort of interested in a midsize truck, and was going to take a look at the new Ford Ranger. They can keep it if it has this crap on it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If this is the case, the 2015 Ford Edge in my driveway will be my last Ford. I was sort of interested in a midsize truck, and was going to take a look at the new Ford Ranger. They can keep it if it has this crap on it.

I'm not a big fan of trucks with aluminum bodies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not a big fan of trucks with aluminum bodies.

Yeah, that too.

Might look at a Ridgeline. It doesn't really have to be an honest to goodness truck....an SUV with a truck bed will do. The in-bed trunk and dual mode tailgate are really neat. I wish other trucks had the swing/drop tailgate.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Our 2017 Highlander has this. We use it all the times. It only kicks in effect when you depress the brake even harder than required to stay still...

There is absolutely no worries about the oiling system, oil sticks to the bearings and oil pressure is built back up in seconds... No big deal...

Starters and batteries??? come on guys... are you going to start and stop an engine 15 times in a row while creeping in traffic? No... again, with todays torque reduction starters, the engine fires before you even think about it and uses alot less amperage than old dino engines....

there is nothing wrong with this technology... carry on.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Our 2017 Highlander has this. We use it all the times. It only kicks in effect when you depress the brake even harder than required to stay still...

There is absolutely no worries about the oiling system, oil sticks to the bearings and oil pressure is built back up in seconds... No big deal...

Starters and batteries??? come on guys... are you going to start and stop an engine 15 times in a row while creeping in traffic? No... again, with todays torque reduction starters, the engine fires before you even think about it and uses alot less amperage than old dino engines....

there is nothing wrong with this technology... carry on.

Real world studies have also been done that show there is an increase in economy. I guess people who don't want it will be buying older cars and rebuilding them to last another 200k miles.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Third world problem.

I have to go now. I have another problem to deal with right now.

My refrigerator has too much food in it and I'm starting to get concerned that the compressor might not be able to keep up. :runaway:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    This is till skirting around the REAL solution. Stop the EPA from messing with the car companies and let them build the BEST engine not the one some liberal in Washington wants built. If the engines were allowed to develop into better gas economy instead of turning 1/3 of the exhaust back into the engine just so NOX is reduced then we would end up with efficient clean engines with simple reliable technology and leave the advancements to driver comfort and let there be a cheap car for starting out and luxury cars for when you have made your bones

Top Bottom