• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I had a malfunction today I haven't seen before. Brand new handgun, first time to the range. A live round got caught between the slide and the chamber, bullet end pointing straight up. I was the 2nd or third shot. I bought the gun for my wife, so she was shooting, and she loaded the magazine. She's a new shooter. Thoughts?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What make of firearm?

Limp-wristing is possible. I've shot thousands of rounds out of a Kahr and gave it to my wife and dil out on field trip. Both stove-piped the dang thing by the third shot.

So....I'm going with operator error for $500, Alex.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What make of firearm?

Limp-wristing is possible. I've shot thousands of rounds out of a Kahr and gave it to my wife and dil out on field trip. Both stove-piped the dang thing by the third shot.

So....I'm going with operator error for $500, Alex.
    I lean that way, too, but for a live round? Seems so odd to eject the spent round, pick up the next round from the magazine, and have the bullet end up pointing straight up. I thought maybe the way she loaded the magazine might cause it, though I can't figure out how you'd load it to make that happen.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    P365s had that issue when going straight from the LGS to the range. Take home, disassemble, clean (my son's had A LOT of factory oil, like it was going to be in storage for years,) lube, reassemble, THEN go to the range.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    CZ P10C, WWB ammo, not cleaned.

What interests me most is if anyone else has seen that type of malfunction before. I'm not worried it's a long term problem.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My 75D had so much thick oil/grease when new out of the box I would have been surprised if it would cycle at all. I cleaned it before first use and it took me about 90 minutes to get cleaned and properly lubed.

Clean and oil and try again.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Many things can happen in the break in period. In this case we have two break ins the wife first shooting and the firearm itself.

As for the ammo. I use WWB ammo in pistols and rifles like I use CCI mini mags in 22 autos. It should not be the ammo. I think they have a very consistent loads not to hot not to cold just right. The standard deviations are normally about as consistent as any ammo around.

Take her home clean her up and then run her hard. See if she comes around.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Every new in box gun I’ve ever had included documentation requiring cleaning the factory grease and corrosion inhibitors then lube before use.

Is this unique?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    CZ P10C, WWB ammo, not cleaned.

What interests me most is if anyone else has seen that type of malfunction before. I'm not worried it's a long term problem.
    I have a CZ P10f. I did what these guys do. I brought it home disassembled it cleaned it, then took it out to shoot. I've had 0 reliably issues. I don't use Winchester WB though. I've had problems in the past with WB ammunition so I've stopped using it. Just my personal experience with it. That said do you have anything other than WB to try?

Clean it good then try it out again if its still giving you problems switch ammunition try that. If neither help get ahold of CZ see what they say.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, again. I'm really not concerned that I'm going to see this malfunction much. I have a reason I first take guns to the range brand new without cleaning them, but this thread isn't about my reasoning on that.

What I'm most interested in is this: How many of you have seen this particular malfunction - which seems to be a very odd malfunction - and if so, did you figure out why it was happening.

Top Bottom