• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Carmel, I wouldn't read what you are reading into it--I have no doubt some hay may be made of that phrase, HOWEVER stronger background checks =/= private sales.

NRA has long supported instacheck and ensuring that the data is correct.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Carmel, I wouldn't read what you are reading into it--I have no doubt some hay may be made of that phrase, HOWEVER stronger background checks =/= private sales.

NRA has long supported instacheck and ensuring that the data is correct.

That's not the way it will be used. It will be used as a "but you said you supported stronger checks" as a way to give political cover to politicians. I hope I'm wrong but I've this before.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Keep in mind, Scalia said that type of weapon, size of mag, and other restrictions were still on the table....

They probably want to end this debate as soon as possible.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Plus this from NYT:

"Even the White House considers passage of a new assault weapons ban exceedingly difficult, but there did seem to be some consensus building for expanding background checks.

Senator Charles E. Schumer, a New York Democrat and a longtime gun control supporter, made no mention of the assault weapons ban in a statement but pointed to the background checks. “If you look at the combination of likelihood of passage and effectiveness of curbing gun crime,” he said, “universal background checks is at the sweet spot.”

Background checks is where the anvil will be, that statement by the NRA President, or distortion thereof, will be the hammer.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'm ok with the BGC, as we already do this when we sign up for our hand gun lic. But what happens with the info afterwards is my concern.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I believe that there should be the ability to "transfer" a gun from 'parent to child' or 'grandparent to grandchild' or 'aunt/uncle to niece/nephew' or 'spouse to spouse' without any sort of FFL dealer involved.

In closing the so-called gunshow loophole then these gifts from family member to family member will require the involvement of an FFL dealer to do the transfer.

As for background checks, I have no problem with an instant/near instant criminal background check and very little problem with a properly defined/limited mental background check.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Op: you aren't the only thinking that:
    NRA gives thumbs up to universal background checks | Guns and Liberty

The feds have ZERO constitutional authority to control private sales between private parties.

This is just the next step towards registration and confiscation. With background checks on private persons, a stroke of the pen can collect all the 4473s and it's done.

I'm so glad I'm not a life member of the nra. I'll be calling them about this.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'm ok with the BGC, as we already do this when we sign up for our hand gun lic. But what happens with the info afterwards is my concern.

This is my issue, i dont mind the BGC because we do these when we buy new from a dealer. However, im also worried about the info. CAnt they tie you to that firearm by the serial or is the check strictly on background. I know the dealer can tie the serial number to that specific firearm to you buy the purchase reciepts. But im still a little iffy on how that could end up being used for registration/confiscation.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Can form 4473 and related regulations be used as a defacto gun registry?

Can form 4473 and related regulations be used as a data point to "round up" gun owners?

Top Bottom