• ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Good work!!!

To take this slightly off track... This is the reason we need new planes. 30 and 40 year old birds tend to just fall out of the air.

Back on track

I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to be rocketed out of an airplane, parachute down (fall like a stone) into enemy territory, and be armed with nothing more than a pistol and 2 spare mags.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    U.S. F-15E crashed in Libya, crew rescued.

Fortunately, the rebels were friendly towards the crew and both have already been rescued. Nevertheless, one lost American life over this crap isn't worth it. I hope this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Heck those are probably the same birds I worked with in 1981!!!!

The F-15E is not that old. The oldest are late 80's, with the last entering service in 2001. I agree, though that we are relying on older and older aircraft, and certainly the design is old. That said, it is still a superior aircraft to just about anything it will fly against, especially with superior aircrew.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    ...I agree, though that we are relying on older and older aircraft, and certainly the design is old...

You can say that again.
    B52Original.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Been following the Downed Eagle all day. Hats off the the crew for what they were doing and for doing their part to get out safe.

Sounds like both were able to use their survival training to sustain themselves until rescued (with the aid of the rebels).

Another tip of the hat goes to the rescue teams. Sounds like this came together quickly and went off about as good as could be expected.

Too bad we lost a good plane though. I wonder if the EOD guys have already been through to make sure it is completley destroyed, as well as the missles that appeared to be somewhat intact from the pictures I've seen.

Definitely looks like it landed belly first (rather than nose first) by the way the engine exhausts are pancaked, and the way the rest of the aircraft is oriented. Looked like it did almost fall right out of the sky!

Top Bottom