• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I had no idea Muslim women wore their head dress for religious reasons, just traditional reasons. I know muslim women that wear regular clothes like the rest of us so that is horse :poop:.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    yarmulke.jpg

Bromley College explained to Miss Powell her cap should be removed for security reasons. “They said it was so they could ID all users of the college, so nothing can obscure their face.

The woman who's identity is apparently tied into her hat's leather hat doesn't obscure her face, either. I clicked on the link and saw it myself. Neither does a hijab, for that matter, as its only required to cover the hair. Hijab =/= Burka.

muslim-head-scarf.jpg

Still not sure why anyone cares. Seems like a pretty simple thing to allow religious head coverings, regardless of faith.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had no idea Muslim women wore their head dress for religious reasons, just traditional reasons. I know muslim women that wear regular clothes like the rest of us so that is horse :poop:.

Muslims aren't a monolithic group any more than Christians or Jews are. Not all Jews wear the yamaka during high holidays, that doesn't mean its horse:poop: for those that do. Some will veil, some will wear a hijab, some will cover their hair only when they pray, and some are completely secular and won't bother with it at all.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    RE: BK...So do I, but I also know Latter Day Saints who drink coffee, tea, and soda, and some that smoke.

Like mentioned it depends on how well you adhere to the text. Who translated it, If you don't read Arabic, and who interprets it for you, or do you do that yourself?

My Qur'an says that a woman's.beauty and ornaments should remain.concealed, and they should keep their gaze down, and they should be covered up when abroad in a latter surah. It says in.the previous one that they should only allow their husband, father, husbands father, husbands sons, their brothers and his sons, sisters sons, or their women, or slaves whom their right hand possess, eunuchs, or small shameless children too see them.

But.yes, it also has.to do with identity,
    . It clearly.states in.the latter surah that covering.up when abroad is used to identify themselves as Muslim woman and it tells.people to not.bother them.

Not the.same as.wearing a hat because you usually wear a hat and it is part of your identity. I always wear a hat too.

My high school in.the bay area allowed hats and all headgear except bandanas unless the teacher said.otherwise. 99 percent of teachers didn't care. Except.I had one weirdo that didnt allow males to wear hoods( females.okay though). Don't know why, he wouldn't say. I would.never take my hat off on a College campus, I wouldn't.enroll in one with those kinds of rules anyway.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So let me get this straight. The college stated (I'm paraphrasing here) that head coverings couldn't be worn for security reasons, yet Muslim women are allowed to wear a hijab. Either you have a policy or you don't. It's that simple. I completely understand that some Muslim women choose to wear one due to religious/traditional reasons. And I think they should be allowed to. However, I do not believe in making exceptions for one group and not another. If you're going to allow them to wear a head covering then everyone should be able to. What's to stop this other girl from suddenly deciding that her hat is worn for "religious reasons" instead of part of her identity? Would she then be exempt from the policy as well?

Also, 92ThoStro....it's my understanding that there is no official doctrine regarding the consumption of caffeine for LDS. I know coffee and tea (hot drinks) are a no go, but I had always thought caffeine (in moderation of course) was a personal choice.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Muslims aren't a monolithic group any more than Christians or Jews are. Not all Jews wear the yamaka during high holidays, that doesn't mean its horse:poop: for those that do. Some will veil, some will wear a hijab, some will cover their hair only when they pray, and some are completely secular and won't bother with it at all.

I could understand allowing head coverings or not allowing head coverings, but I have difficulty understanding why the exception should be based on one's practice of religion if its a legitimate public safety issue.

Don't we make Amish folks put things on their buggys for safety reasons that ordinarily they would not?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, it appears that "those" folks are wearing a head covering for an overtly religious reason. So, it is completely off-limits to challenge them.

This woman is wearing a hat for personal expression, not tied to any defined religion. Therefor, she is fair game.

Yup^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I could understand allowing head coverings or not allowing head coverings, but I have difficulty understanding why the exception should be based on one's practice of religion if its a legitimate public safety issue.

Don't we make Amish folks put things on their buggys for safety reasons that ordinarily they would not?

If it is a legitimate public safety issue, than typically "safety" wins over "religion" when it goes to the courts. However I've yet to see anyone tell me how wearing a scarf over one's head compromises safety.

The Amish are a great example. Reasonable accommodations have been made for their religion. Did you know Amish aren't required to be in social security or medicare (as long as they aren't working for non-Amish employers)? Did you know Amish parents can take their kids out of school after 8th grade and not face any sort of truancy laws? Both religious exceptions to laws that others without an actual religious objection must follow. Yet, due to the danger of a black buggy at night on a dark road, many states require them to have the orange triangle.

Religious beliefs aren't a blanket exemption from all of society's rules, but reasonable accommodations are certainly being made for people other than Muslims.

Top Bottom