• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The answer is YES. As a former teacher, we had to deal with issues that began outside of school but caused isgnificant disruptions DURING school. That is what happened in this case.

So you agree that these students should have been suspended for taking a picture at HOME and putting it on a SOCIAL NETWORKING site?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Unless whatever the students do outside of school...at home...on their own time...et cetera, et cetera...involves something illegal, the schools should keep their noses OUT of it. They have no right to punish these students for posing in the pics. Frankly, teachers who can't redirect student discussion back into their class activities shouldn't be teaching. And before anyone has a hissy fit about that last, I did in fact teach in high school for 15 years and after the first couple, never had issues keeping a class on track. I fail to see any other way students discussing this could cause a significant disruption in the school.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    One purpose of school is to teach young people what to think, not how to think critically, but what to think. As in, "Guns bad."

Thumbs up to all of the home-schoolers!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    What kind of "significant disturbance" can a picture taken at home cause? Kids talking about it?

How about a photo of several football players holding a sign that says, "Beat up the freshmen during lunch!" That's just one example, but there have been many instances of kids walking out in protest over some issue. Folks forget that the school is still responsible for those kids, and so must take action to prevent such protests.

Does a photo of kids with guns qualify? That's a judgment call by the admin. I fail to see how anyone could provide guidelines for admins to determine what constitutes "significant disruption" that will cover EVERY occasion, and so the admins must act on the side of caution. To do otherwise is to invite litigation and possible criminal charges.

If you disagree, kindly become a Superintendent.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How about a photo of several football players holding a sign that says, "Beat up the freshmen during lunch!" That's just one example, but there have been many instances of kids walking out in protest over some issue. Folks forget that the school is still responsible for those kids, and so must take action to prevent such protests.

Does a photo of kids with guns qualify? That's a judgment call by the admin. I fail to see how anyone could provide guidelines for admins to determine what constitutes "significant disruption" that will cover EVERY occasion, and so the admins must act on the side of caution. To do otherwise is to invite litigation and possible criminal charges.

If you don't like it, QUIT.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County

Ok, so technically you did answer my question. Although that is an extreme example consisting of intimidation tactics/threats. Now how about an example of a picture that does not contain threats? Like a football player wearing a rival schools jacket etc?

I know at my school, if the football team had done that, they MIGHT have gotten a slap on the wrist. But I doubt it. No way in hell would they be suspended.

Last edited:

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    So, if the kids threaten to protest unless the Superintendent wore a clown costume to school, then you'd be helpless but to oblige?

Not at all. As Super, I'd decline their "demand" as unreasonable. If they then walked out in protest, I'd suspend the ringleaders, and possibly all who participated.

Again, it comes down to the issue of liability and acting on the side of caution, even if such action appears unreasonable. It's not your ass on the line!

Top Bottom