• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A few years ago I noticed carpenter ants in my kitchen. The source was a neighbor's rotting maple tree (which has since been removed).

Call an exterminator and lay down dust around the house.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The little black flag ant traps that contain poison bait are the best. The ants carry the poison back to the nest, and you wipe out the whole colony at once. If you use spray or powder, you are simply killing the ants that you can SEE.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I got so fed up this year with the ants, I called the pest control guy, for 85 bucks he guaranteed that if they come back within the year, so will he. He is now set up to do a once a year visit, gonna cost around $45 a year, but worth it if I don't have to worry about it anymore.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I got so fed up this year with the ants, I called the pest control guy, for 85 bucks he guaranteed that if they come back within the year, so will he. He is now set up to do a once a year visit, gonna cost around $45 a year, but worth it if I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I'd want that white trash Billy taking care of my pest issues.

billy-bretherton-exterminator.jpg

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Spray the outside of the house and grounds 18" up and out from the ground seam, spray the base boards,door sills and cabinet based everywhere you can then most importantly clean all the kitchen surfaces including behind drawers and under the counter tops like you've never cleaned them before.
    I'm not saying here that you don't keep you house clean but food particles do accumulate in everyone's kitchen and that is what draws the ants to your kitchen.
    Eliminate the food source and the pests will go away.

I speak here from experience

chris miller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hancock
    ants

get some TERRO. Ants eat it and take it back to their nest, wipes them all out. You can buy it at Wal-Mart or most hardward stores ,CVS also has it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    most importantly clean all the kitchen surfaces including behind drawers and under the counter tops like you've never cleaned them before.
    No worries about implying anything.
    We have had the same problem this year. Isolated to the kitchen. We have pulled out all drawers, opened all cabinets, removed and cleaned under stove, microwave, dishwasher. Cleaned inside of dishwasher. Lots of work. And while there was very little to clean I hope it helps. We had some on the side of the stove, under it also plus a few crumbs here and there. What a hassle, I have sprayed and used granules, too. Hope this final weekend cures my problem. If not, then time for the exterminator.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    get some TERRO. Ants eat it and take it back to their nest, wipes them all out. You can buy it at Wal-Mart or most hardward stores ,CVS also has it.

:+1: For TERRO !!!

We have the little red ants for about a month every spring, until the TERRO takes care of them for another year. I made a half dozen bait stations by drilling several holes in some old contact cases. Just a couple of drops of the terro in each one, then a couple under the stove, fridge, dishwasher, and wherever else the little suckers show up, takes about a week and they are gone.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

THIS.

For the first few weeks, you'll see an INCREASE in inside ant activity, but they will all be gone very soon. The key right now is to send the bait back to their nest and kill the colony.

If you just spray right now and try to kill them, the colony will sense this and just divide...then you'll have two colonies (or more) to try and kill off.

Once your ant problem is under control and you don't see them inside, I would treat the perimeter with a residual spray. I would also treat under all baseboards with a dust. I would then place Terro OUTDOOR bait stations away from the house (I put them at the 4 corners of my house at the very edge of my mulch bed).

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    +1 for Terro!

And if you see any on the patio, give them a borax bath, just to let 'em know who's boss!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I also have ants in my kitchen. I have tried terro for a couple weeks now with little result. Its my wife's old bottle from a few years ago so I don't know if it has an expiration date or not. It got rid of them for a few days but they came back. Trying some other stuff right now.

The worst thing is I can't convince the spiders that infest my front porch to move to the kitchen and least be useful if they are going to annoy me. I think they are mad because I have killed a lot of their buddies.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had them bad last year and finally sprayed the foundation. I still got them and found a branch with a leaf that was touching the house above where I sprayed and there was a line of ants crossing that bridge. Cut it down and sprayed again and didn't get any for the rest of the year.

Thought I would get out early this year but did not get out early enough. Sprayed the foundation but there were already ants in the house. Saw a few at the base of my trash can (woven) so sprayed around that. Came back minutes later and the whole outside of the trash can was swarming with little ants. Sprayed the trash can and it was like ant Armageddon. They piled up around the trash can.

I will spray the foundation again after the rain stops. It is supposed to be good for 6 months and it does work.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I worked in Pest Control for two years. The number one reason people have ants (not insulting OP here and speaking from my experiences) is cleanliness. We'd get calls and the place would be a mess :poop:, not Hoarders-messy, but a mess. Food all over, dirty house even dirty yards.

If you feed them, they will come!

Top Bottom