• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    while it's a baby and so young, yes safety is an issue...but then your opinion brings up the point of.."what's too young"....what do you consider safe or responsible and at what age level.....it's all a matter of opinion....while the kid SHOULD have had earpro in (not to is irresponsible)...in those parents eyes having him on the line while in the mother's arms is responsible, and as such not anyone elses' place to judge....such forms of judgement are where laws are created which may not take one's individual rights to free choice into consideration, or flat out ignore them...(such as a seat belt law).....I mean let's face it, we can judge all we wish...but who are we to judge how another person raises their child so long as the child isn't harmed in those decisions....and we should be responsible ourselves and offer friendly, helpful advise....ESPECIALLY to newcomers to the sport because their mishaps will give all gun owners the bad rep. later..........everyone chooses to raise their children how they feel...it's part of being free.....first thing I ever shot was a 12ga. 1100 at 6 years old....responsible?? by some people's opinion, NO....but then, it's not their family is it....my family has a rather long lineage in firearms industry and military, so you could say "it's in our DNA" as some people like to phrase.....my whole point is that you will always run into newbies and idiots...but to keep our sport alive and a positive public image...we should help educate those less knowledgeable

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i agree with you for the most part. but there's a big difference between a 6 year old and a 6 month old. if you can't afford/find a babysitter, then perhaps your priorities are off. ymmv

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well apperantly I should mind my own buss as they said in the neg rep. Once again Ill say some people. Guy is gonna neg rep me and he has 32 posts since 2008. whatever. Some people. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    lol....there's a big difference in age from 6 mths to 6 years.....but personally, if they had protected the child's ears....I wouldn't see a problem with the mother holding the kid at the firing line...as long as she is behind it enough to not end up catching a hot brass in the kids face....but any closer than that...and yeah even I would say it's irresponsible

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    while it's a baby and so young, yes safety is an issue...but then your opinion brings up the point of.."what's too young"....what do you consider safe or responsible and at what age level.....it's all a matter of opinion....while the kid SHOULD have had earpro in (not to is irresponsible)...in those parents eyes having him on the line while in the mother's arms is responsible, and as such not anyone elses' place to judge....such forms of judgement are where laws are created which may not take one's individual rights to free choice into consideration, or flat out ignore them...(such as a seat belt law).....I mean let's face it, we can judge all we wish...but who are we to judge how another person raises their child so long as the child isn't harmed in those decisions....and we should be responsible ourselves and offer friendly, helpful advise....ESPECIALLY to newcomers to the sport because their mishaps will give all gun owners the bad rep. later..........everyone chooses to raise their children how they feel...it's part of being free.....first thing I ever shot was a 12ga. 1100 at 6 years old....responsible?? by some people's opinion, NO....but then, it's not their family is it....my family has a rather long lineage in firearms industry and military, so you could say "it's in our DNA" as some people like to phrase.....my whole point is that you will always run into newbies and idiots...but to keep our sport alive and a positive public image...we should help educate those less knowledgeable

At the range and off the line with out ear pro acceptible (though I would have ear pro on.) On the line without earpro on is about as irresponcible as smoking pot and drinking while being pregnent. It is foolish for anyone not to have earpro on at the line. (except for surpressed weapons) Bringing a child to the line that is not even capible of covering there own ears if they chose to is just plain wrong nomatter how you present it. I have no problem bringing kids to the range but you need to be responsible while doing it. Futhermore I also belive we as fellow shooters need to step up and speak up if you see something irresponsible or unsafe wither it is by ignorence or intention. This also goes well into the world out side of the range as well.

Last edited:

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    just a word of caution. you cant put an earpro on a newborn... the plates in the skull are not fused yet and the pressure applied to the skull from the earpro can hurt them. wondering what they were using for eye protection for the baby.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Perhaps the kid was deaf? If not, they soon will be...

Maybe they were worried about it's well being from the cough syrup they gave him/her and were trying to check they didn't numb the startle reflex?!?!

That being said, my kids are almost three, and will be 1 on the 21st, and NEITHER of them will be routinely exposed to the sounds of a gun without hearing protection...hell, my wife said my oldest can't shoot till he's in like 3rd grade...

Regardless of the negative rep, if it were me, I would've stopped and asked questions. Don't most ranges have rules about hearing protection and eye protection anyway? If they aren't responsible on the range, how the hell are they going to be responsible gun owners when their kids are curious and can't hear their parents tell them the gun talk?

My $0.02

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Perhaps the kid was deaf? If not, they soon will be...

Maybe they were worried about it's well being from the cough syrup they gave him/her and were trying to check they didn't numb the startle reflex?!?!

That being said, my kids are almost three, and will be 1 on the 21st, and NEITHER of them will be routinely exposed to the sounds of a gun without hearing protection...hell, my wife said my oldest can't shoot till he's in like 3rd grade...

Regardless of the negative rep, if it were me, I would've stopped and asked questions. Don't most ranges have rules about hearing protection and eye protection anyway? If they aren't responsible on the range, how the hell are they going to be responsible gun owners when their kids are curious and can't hear their parents tell them the gun talk?

My $0.02

Yeah im surprise they can come to the range with a baby.
    I know some ranges have age limits and require everybody to wear ear protection.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    bad-parents-25-thumb-autox379-104642.jpg

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I can't imagine anyone being even close to the firing line and not wearing earpro, I don't care how old you are.
    On another note, I see people carring their babies/toddlers on their riding lawnmowers w/o earpro.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    As others have said, babies are still developing their senses. I don't even go to a range without EP. Actually, I would have berated the baby-makers first about it. Hopefully shaming them in to either putting on EP or leaving (the 2nd option probably being best) Then called CPS. Pure stupidity. Anyone here who thinks its ok to let an infant be exposed to such loud noises without proper EP during the most important development period of their life needs their head examined. Did the person shooting bring EP for themselves? That would be rich if they did...

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I can't believe someone NEG repped you for this. It is absolutely obsurd to take anyone, not to mention a baby, to a gun range without ear pro of SOME sort. It doesn't have to be the giant headphone style. What about earplugs? I mean, Obviously, the best thing to do is not take a BABY to a gun range, but IF it is unavoidable, at least use plugs and keep the kid off the firing line.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let's not even talk about lead exposure for the kid...

Granted, that CAN be easily mitigated by not being near any "gun smoke" or handling ejected cases or loaded ammo or by having un-washed hands touch the kid...

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I can't believe someone NEG repped you for this. It is absolutely obsurd to take anyone, not to mention a baby, to a gun range without ear pro of SOME sort. It doesn't have to be the giant headphone style. What about earplugs? I mean, Obviously, the best thing to do is not take a BABY to a gun range, but IF it is unavoidable, at least use plugs and keep the kid off the firing line.

its a guy who has been a member longer than i have but only has like 32 posts :laugh: he must have searching for posts about this incident then swooped in.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/skyman.html

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    its a guy who has been a member longer than i have but only has like 32 posts :laugh: he must have searching for posts about this incident then swooped in.

INGunOwners - View Profile: skyman

If you've noticed, he has no threads started by him. He also has, only 2 visitor messages.. They are both complaining about NEG reps from him. He is clearly a troll of some species. Trolls are best left where they belong, under the bridge.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom