• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    What is so hard to understand that we as a Society have taken the drive out of defending oneself, from almost birth. People will Fight, contrary to what Grossman has written. Seen it to many times, with my own eyes. Push someone into a corner hard enough and they will come out fighting. Especially if they know they are not going to get in trouble for fighting...

Oh, OK. He cites several of those where some people do fight back, but he also cites quite a few where people either remain seated, or huddled in a corner and NOBODY fights back. He claims that where somebody does fight back, far fewer people are massacred.

If your kid is being picked on by a bully what do you do?!
    You tell the School Administration to have Child X quit making fun or picking on you child.
    What do you do when someone is threatening you?!
    You call the Cops, so they can confront the person and make him leave you alone.

I agree with you, but if you encourage your kid to fight back against a school bully, YOUR KID will get suspended/expelled, and get a record as a 'violent offender' in school (and sometimes with the police too).

I hate that the only reasonable thing to do is encourage your child to conform to the "depend on the government to protect me" mindset, but I also hate that if he stands up for himself, he is punished just as much as the bully is. And I think that is a bad thing to teach him too.

Both options are bad. Is it worse to impress on him that the government should be relied on to protect you, or that if you exercise your right and stand up for yourself, you should expect to be treated like a criminal???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oh, OK. He cites several of those where some people do fight back, but he also cites quite a few where people either remain seated, or huddled in a corner and NOBODY fights back. He claims that where somebody does fight back, far fewer people are massacred.
    Can you fault persons for not fighting back when it was what they have been taught to do there entire life?!

I agree with you, but if you encourage your kid to fight back against a school bully, YOUR KID will get suspended/expelled, and get a record as a 'violent offender' in school (and sometimes with the police too).

I hate that the only reasonable thing to do is encourage your child to conform to the "depend on the government to protect me" mindset, but I also hate that if he stands up for himself, he is punished just as much as the bully is. And I think that is a bad thing to teach him too.

Both options are bad. Is it worse to impress on him that the government should be relied on to protect you, or that if you exercise your right and stand up for yourself, you should expect to be treated like a criminal???
    I do not know what to tell you on that.

I would like to think if my Child had gotten expelled/suspended/detention/whatever, from School as long as he used both escalation of force, and good judgement I would have a slight talk with the Schools Administration probably with advisement from an Attorney...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Can you fault persons for not fighting back when it was what they have been taught to do there entire life?!

I do not know what to tell you on that.

I would like to think if my Child had gotten expelled/suspended/detention/whatever, from School as long as he used both escalation of force, and good judgement I would have a slight talk with the Schools Administration probably with advisement from an Attorney...

As many have pointed out, any aggression that a kid seems to show now is bad. Bully beats him up, and then he finally fights back, both are in trouble, cause they never seem to catch it when its one sided. That being said, I would sure as heck make sure that my child knew that I had his back on something like that. And like you said, even suing the school system for allowing the bully to thrive in that environment, along with other reasons as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As many have pointed out, any aggression that a kid seems to show now is bad. Bully beats him up, and then he finally fights back, both are in trouble, cause they never seem to catch it when its one sided. That being said, I would sure as heck make sure that my child knew that I had his back on something like that. And like you said, even suing the school system for allowing the bully to thrive in that environment, along with other reasons as well.
    I weep for future Generations of Americans...

We used to be a Country of Rifleman, Citizen Soldiers. Today, today we are raising generations of nurtured and spayed persons who are terrorized of doing anything outside of the Politically Accepted Norms...

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

No, I don't "fault" them. Grossman points out that we need to STOP teaching our children to simply be passive, and to take initiative to defend themselves.

Yeah, I'd have a talk with the administration also, but with the current "zero tolerance (for defense)" that permeates society, I don't hold much hope for the outcome. But either way, in the meantime, my kid is being forced to fall behind by the government's inane rules, and he will be stigmatized for years by having his record marked as "expelled/suspended for violence."

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

We used to be a Country of Rifleman, Citizen Soldiers. Today, today we are raising generations of nurtured and spayed persons who are terrorized of doing anything outside of the Politically Accepted Norms...

We used to be a nation of Steel and Steely people, now its plastic (bought in China of course) and plastic people.
    I will still raise my children the way that I was raised. I know it might not have been the best, but I have done good for myself.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I don't know. I've read the accounts of Civil War battles in which many soldiers died without firing their rifles, and it was very difficult to get the men to overcome innate resistance to killing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't know. I've read the accounts of Civil War battles in which many soldiers died without firing their rifles, and it was very difficult to get the men to overcome innate resistance to killing.
    To many unaccountable reasons there for me to trust that as good information.

Top Bottom