• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am looking to buy a subcompact for everyday carry as my 1911 is just not concealable in the summer. While I love that cannon, it's not practical to wear a sweatshirt in 80 degree temps!!!

However, I am having a devil of a time finding a place around Indy where I can test fire all of these - or even multiple places that happen to rent 1 or more of them. Pop Guns had an XD Subcompact for rent in a 9 but I wasn't impressed after firing it. Went to the Indy 1500 and handled every subcompact out there as well as felt the trigger pull. I came to the conclusion that I like the Walter PPS, Glock 26 & 27, and the Smith & Wesson M&Pc's best and they all fit my hand well. However, I am really hesitant to buy a model I have never fired.

I would prefer to use the .40 S&W models of these but I do not know what the difference will be between them and the 9mm's in terms of recoil out of a subcompact. Some have said the 40 is too sharp for a subcompact, but until I have shot one I will never know.

Anyone have any ideas? I posted a sign at the range I belong to outside of Anderson (Fall Creek Valley) asking if I could test fire any of these models, but as of yet, no one has contacted me. I'd want to fire the self defense ammo out of them to see the difference between a 165 gr vs a 115 gr +P to determine if the 40 is that much different with follow-up shots.

If anyone on here has any of these models and lives relatively close to NE side of Indy, I'd be willing to compensate you for your trouble and let you shoot my Les Baer 1911.;)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Have you looked at using a IWB holster for you Baer, you might find that you can conceal it wearing a T-shirt over it with out any problem. If a IWB is just not for you, then I have a Glock 26 that I carry when I don't want to carry my Kimber. My Kimber is a 3" Tactical Ultra II that is very concealable using either IWB or OWB under a T-shirt. That may be another option you might want to look at, would stay the same operating system as your Baer. I live up by Fort Wayne, if you want to drive up to the Huntington DNR range I will meet you and let you try both out. Just PM me.

Good luck with your search.

By the way welcome to the Forum, great site.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I got rid of my PPS. It was slim and easy to carry, but the thing was downright painful to shoot. The trigger was extremely stiff, to the point that it made your index finger hurt after just a couple mags.

My M&P 9c is way more accurate and nearly as easy to carry (just wider). It shoots just as well as guns much larger, has a good capacity (12+1), and is reliable.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I own a 26 and love it, pretty sure as others have already said, go to Pop's to get a feel for them with a little range time, then go visit Bob at Plainfield or Beech Grove Firearms to buy whichever one you like best.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have you looked at using a IWB holster for you Baer, you might find that you can conceal it wearing a T-shirt over it with out any problem. If a IWB is just not for you, then I have a Glock 26 that I carry when I don't want to carry my Kimber. My Kimber is a 3" Tactical Ultra II that is very concealable using either IWB or OWB under a T-shirt. That may be another option you might want to look at, would stay the same operating system as your Baer.

I haven't considered an IWB for it mainly because my Baer likes to pull down my shorts. I'd like to stay away from the gangbanger look :): Plus I really never considered it to be an everyday gun, just a good inside the house defense and competition gun. I do prefer to carry in Condition 1 so it would be nice to have the same system.

The only subcompact 45s I have tried are the Glock 30 and the CZ2075 RAMI. The Glock felt fine but I wasn't impressed with my follow-up shots. The CZ would be ok in SA mode, but I was not impressed by it's trigger.

I had not looked into a Kimber Tac Ultra II. I need to do some more research apparently! I am assuming that you like the balance on that piece and accurate follow-up shots in rapid fire are good?

I live up by Fort Wayne, if you want to drive up to the Huntington DNR range I will meet you and let you try both out. Just PM me.

Good luck with your search.

By the way welcome to the Forum, great site.

That is a pretty good drive for me, but i may take you up on that if i cannot find anything closer. Thanks! :ingo:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I own a 26 and love it, pretty sure as others have already said, go to Pop's to get a feel for them with a little range time, then go visit Bob at Plainfield or Beech Grove Firearms to buy whichever one you like best.

Fellas, Pop Guns currently only has the Springfield XD 9 Subcompact for rental. Frankly they don't have much for rent. I did rent the XD9 SC and test fired it, however, it was not the gun for me. I could probably try Don's for the Glock 26 but I prefer to stay away from that business.

Last edited:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got rid of my PPS. It was slim and easy to carry, but the thing was downright painful to shoot. The trigger was extremely stiff, to the point that it made your index finger hurt after just a couple mags.

My M&P 9c is way more accurate and nearly as easy to carry (just wider). It shoots just as well as guns much larger, has a good capacity (12+1), and is reliable.

Did you have any reliability issues with the PPS? Also did you have the 9 or the 40? I would want to try it to determine if the trigger gave me the same problems.

Roby's Bullseye in Kokomo does have an M&P9c I could test fire but no comparative .40 at the moment. I'd like to try a 9 & a 40 together if possible so I can compare on the spot and remember the feel.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    If you have the day available you should try and attend the picnic day on the 27th. from the posts I have read there will be a lot of pistols there that people are willing to let you try if you bring your own factory ammo. look for the link on the home page.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have a 27 I would be glad to let you try out at a range sometime. I have rid myself of all the 9mm (nothing bad, just consolidated to preferred calibers), so unfortunately that won't help you with a side by side comparison. But, let me know if you would like to, I am in the Noblesville/Westfield area. Closest range to me is in Kokomo, but I travel some, so if we can work out scheduling you are welcome to try it.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    The only one out of your list that I would trust is the Glock 26, or 27 if you want 40. The PPS has had problems with the slide locking back and refusing to budge, requiring a trip back to Smith & Wesson to repair. (S&W handles Walther distribution/service in the US). The M&P compacts have had their share of issues, including FTF, magazines dropping out while firing, and slide rusting issues. These issues are well documented. Some people have no issues, and some can't find a reliable one. I've had 3 M&P compacts myself, and will never own another one.

There probably is no more reliable subcompact in the world than the Glock 26. There have been sporadic reports of problems with some of the newer .40 models when used with a tactical light, but this applies only to a small number of models 23 and 22. You almost never hear of any problems with the 27, or with any of the 9mm models. I currently own a 27, and have owned others in the past. Never have I had an issue with a 27, and I've put hundreds of rounds through them. Same goes for my G22 with a TLR-1 light. It just keeps eating ammo and slamming steel and punching holes in cardboard, thousands of rounds over several years. I trust my life to it.

The recoil is a bit sharp with the 27, but if you want to thump the bad guy harder, you're gonna get thumped a little harder as well. The G26 is one smooth little pistol, and you'll not find a smaller, lighter and more easily concealable 10+1 9mm. Accessories are readily available for any Glock model, including a wide range of holsters.

If you like the 1911 platform, why not go with a light weight commander model? I personally don't care for 1911's for defensive use, but there is something to be said for maintaining the same manual of arms for your working guns. The 1911 is a slim platform and should hide well with a good IWB holster. If weight is your main concern, you might consider this option.

Good luck...:)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'd let you shoot my Kel-Tec PF-9 if you're ever at Eagle Creek Pistol Range... It's super small and the best CCW

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I had not looked into a Kimber Tac Ultra II. I need to do some more research apparently! I am assuming that you like the balance on that piece and accurate follow-up shots in rapid fire are good?

I love my Tactical Ultra II, it is the perfect carry size and weight. Easy to conceal and the recoil is nothing (my son was 11 yrs old when he started shooting it). Follow up shots are easy in rapid fire. I use it as my off duty weapon so I have to qualify with it just like my duty weapon, meaning off hand shooting, shooting from 3 yrds out to 25 yrds, shooting around, over and under barricades, shoots it all like a dream. I have no complaints about it (except maybe cost :D)

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I love my Tactical Ultra II, it is the perfect carry size and weight. Easy to conceal and the recoil is nothing (my son was 11 yrs old when he started shooting it). Follow up shots are easy in rapid fire. I use it as my off duty weapon so I have to qualify with it just like my duty weapon, meaning off hand shooting, shooting from 3 yrds out to 25 yrds, shooting around, over and under barricades, shoots it all like a dream. I have no complaints about it (except maybe cost :D)

Are you coming down for the picnic?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Did you have any reliability issues with the PPS? Also did you have the 9 or the 40? I would want to try it to determine if the trigger gave me the same problems.

Roby's Bullseye in Kokomo does have an M&P9c I could test fire but no comparative .40 at the moment. I'd like to try a 9 & a 40 together if possible so I can compare on the spot and remember the feel.

I didn't put a ton of rounds through it, but no. I know the PPS is in the pocket/single stack subcompact category but I hated how it handled shooting. The trigger almost felt like a double action it was so stiff and the little safety thing on the trigger was horrible because it was very stiff as well and would hurt your finger. The ones on Glocks are loose so they don't bother me. Accuracy (for me) was nowhere near what my M&P 9c is.

As for reliability, it is true that the M&P compacts had a few issues, but I believe that most if not all of them have been resolved. I have owned a Glock 19 and 26 in the past and I prefer my 9c over either one hands down.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I live too far away to be of help to you in shooting my M&P, but I think you'll like it when you get to shoot it.

I have an M&P .40c and having shot other .40s it is easily the best shooting compact in .40 that I have shot. It is my main carry gun and I love it, not a bad handling pistol at all!

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't give advise as to where to rent these guns, but I used to own a 27 and the recoil wasn't unbearable by any means. The 26 is a lot easier to shoot than a 27, but after a few sessions at the range you will find that the 27 is a great ccw weapon with a very manageable recoil.

I have big hands so to comfortably grip the 27 I had a pearce extension for it. With the extension it was still ridiculously easy to conceal!

glock22.gif

Joe

Top Bottom