Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Todd Jarrett puts 1000 rounds thru a 1911 in less then ten minutes. It CAN be done and HAS been done with NO malfunctions boys and girls!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqtA84eBmPQ[/ame]

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    After seeing a little of his latest video, I know I will never go to class with him as an instructor. He is so closed minded that I will learn more about shooting from a tree then him. I cannot believe as an instructor that he is that in love with himself. I watched about a minute of the new one and gave up. If he ever comes up on the same side of an issue as I do, I will have to rethink my position.

If you think he is bad, Have you heard of James Yeager?

Picture a giant douchebag, wrap it in a stupid T-shirt that is 2 sizes to small, put a Glock in its hand and teach it to spew 1911 hate speech, while at the same time constantly twitching and touting its work as a "contractor" but if you dig very deep at all youll find it is just full of Sh@ and and every "contracting" job it has ever had has been a total failure and saying that everyone that doesnt share his view point is stupid and deserves to die in a gun fight for not carrirng a Glock 19.

Thats about James Yeager in a nutshell. I would never listen to either of these guys seriously if I were in a class they taught.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hell, tell us what you really mean ! Wow ! Vituperation ! Holy samoleans !

I thought I did. :dunno:

Rob Pincus and James Yeager SUCK!

Is that more to the point?

I mean why bash somone for thier carry gear and say they are not properly prepared when they train appropriately with the gear they choose to carry?

If you carry a subcompact 1911 then keep it properly maintained and train approriately with it and you wont have any trouble out of it. :twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Todd Jarrett puts 1000 rounds thru a 1911 in less then ten minutes. It CAN be done and HAS been done with NO malfunctions boys and girls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqtA84eBmPQ

So Ive been suporting the 1911s reliability since the onset of this thread and long before, but even I say there seems to be some fancy editing going on with that vid. Im not saying the gun malfunctioned, but it would be too easy for a 1911 detractor to pick it apart. So for that reason alone this video must be disregarded.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If you think he is bad, Have you heard of James Yeager?

Picture a giant douchebag, wrap it in a stupid T-shirt that is 2 sizes to small, put a Glock in its hand and teach it to spew 1911 hate speech, while at the same time constantly twitching and touting its work as a "contractor" but if you dig very deep at all youll find it is just full of Sh@ and and every "contracting" job it has ever had has been a total failure and saying that everyone that doesnt share his view point is stupid and deserves to die in a gun fight for not carrirng a Glock 19.

Thats about James Yeager in a nutshell. I would never listen to either of these guys seriously if I were in a class they taught.

Oh, i seen the video with the two of them talking against open carry and it told me everything that I needed to know. They spout that open carry makes you the obvious target, but they are wearing gun shirts with a humvee with all sorts of gun logos over it. So, open carry makes you stand out, but being a pompous jackass doesn't? As for Yeager, since they were both in the other video agreeing with each other, then yea, dont want to learn anything from them either. If all they do is be fan boys for a company and put everyone else down, then nope, not too much I can learn. I know about fan boys. I also know that tools are tools.

HOgwylde, that was an awesome video. I do know that you can run a 1911 like that, but I have never seen it ran that fast. Also, its hard to find someone willing to pony up the money for 1000 rounds just to run the gun like that to show that it will work, but I am glad that they did. Para is one of the next 1911s that I would like to have. Oh no, I might be a 1911 fan boy. Course, since I do have glocks, sigs, berettas, walthers, etc, I do think I can avoid the brain washing by my pistols, THOSE EVIL DEVICES.

There are plenty of other trainers that I would like to spend my money on. Since I had not heard of either of them really until these last 2 videos, I can only guess they are trying to drum up something. I do read quite a lot of gun magazines as well as listen to more then a couple gun podcasts, so I do stay up on certain things. I also know that anyone can claim to be a gun expert. Heck, just listing off my stats, some people would say that I am one. I help people learn how to shoot, and I have been doing that for awhile, but I don't believe I am an expert. Just someone that loves firearms and loves helping new people learn what I love to do.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    No honestly I must say I dont recognize your reference. I didnt take like you wanted to give me a beating, I just figured you ment it was time to pound your point home. I was just being a smartass. :D

Yes I do understand the point of the topic at hand though. All platforms have thier strengths and weaknesses. If you push any firearm hard enough eventually it will fail.

It is important that we as gun owners train with the equipment we carry so that we know its limitations.

I belive with proper maintenance and training we can minimize those weaknesses.

A subcompact 1911 is not a high volume combat pistol. Its a last ditch tool for self defence and the scenarios it may be used in are not the same as what a combat pistol will see. There is a reason our troops are not issued subcompact 1911s. Some special teams however do use full sized 1911s with great results.

Yes the sub 3" guns somtimes have issues with the timing and they are considered to be the "less" reliable 1911 category. I dont belive the 1911 as a platform to be unreliable though, and there are many who agree with me and 101 years of experiance to back it up.

To each his own though. All on :ingo: and all supporters of the 2A are brothers & sisters and we should remain united as such.

Come on! You didn't recognize the scene from "Cool Hand Luke" ??? ... "what we have here, is a failure to cummunicate" ???? Oh well, the classics are wasted on the young. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think we are closer in agreement than you might think. First, to clarify, I do not own a subcompact 1911 (in .45) ... let alone have fired 1000's of rounds through one. I was confused about how you arrrived at that conclusion from anything I posted. No matter. In this debate, I don't care either way.

My issue and the point I was making was that the OP's point (video) is not about round count but rather about the platform itself as it relates to defensive shooting. From the continued discussion it is obvious that this point continues to be lost (see Todd Jarret video) by the majority.

I am not advocating for or against what Rob Pincus says. I just think that any point being made has to be understood correctly before it can be judged fairly. That's all ... Personally, I would be tickled pink to see someone show up with a Detonics Compact and take up Rob on his challenge ... and win.

Disclosure: I don't know or have ever met Rob Pincus. I own several 1911's and GLOCKS. I am carrying a SA XD45 Tactical at the moment. It's all good.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    No, it's not all about round count. It's not just about platform, but also specific models within the platform. And yes Mr. Pincus has now extended the challenge to full size 1911s as well, but the original video was about subcompacts.

Subcompacts in general are meant for concealment. Some would argue they are a poor choice for a defensive pistol course where they would be fired hundreds of times in a short period of time. For one thing, most subcompacts aren't that fun to shoot for extended periods of time, and hand fatigue could be a contributing factor to some of the failures.

But then why would you take a class unless you take the gun you would be carrying? And people buy subcompacts because they are easy to carry. But if subcompacts are less reliable, then why carry them?

So it's kind of a double-edged sword. A lot of people understood what you were saying, but just get tired of the endless debate so they don't chime in. Nobody is going to agree. Even the "experts" can't agree. So I listen to both sides debate, then go shoot what I like to shoot.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    No, it's not all about round count. It's not just about platform, but also specific models within the platform. And yes Mr. Pincus has now extended the challenge to full size 1911s as well, but the original video was about subcompacts.

Subcompacts in general are meant for concealment. Some would argue they are a poor choice for a defensive pistol course where they would be fired hundreds of times in a short period of time. For one thing, most subcompacts aren't that fun to shoot for extended periods of time, and hand fatigue could be a contributing factor to some of the failures.

But then why would you take a class unless you take the gun you would be carrying? And people buy subcompacts because they are easy to carry. But if subcompacts are less reliable, then why carry them?

So it's kind of a double-edged sword. A lot of people understood what you were saying, but just get tired of the endless debate so they don't chime in. Nobody is going to agree. Even the "experts" can't agree. So I listen to both sides debate, then go shoot what I like to shoot.

Ding! ding! ... We have a winner!

Your last three sentences about sum it up. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Come on! You didn't recognize the scene from "Cool Hand Luke" ??? ... "what we have here, is a failure to cummunicate" ???? Oh well, the classics are wasted on the young. :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry Ive never seen "Cool Hand Luke" Im only 24, but I do know of it and have heard its a good movie. I like older movies and tend not to care for the things my generation think are cool.

Seriously, I think we are closer in agreement than you might think. First, to clarify, I do not own a subcompact 1911 (in .45) ... let alone have fired 1000's of rounds through one. I was confused about how you arrrived at that conclusion from anything I posted. No matter. In this debate, I don't care either way.

I never assumed you owned a subcompact 1911. Like I said, I was just being a smartass. :D Ask anyone who knows me in the real world and Im sure they will tell you I have a gift for it.

My issue and the point I was making was that the OP's point (video) is not about round count but rather about the platform itself as it relates to defensive shooting. From the continued discussion it is obvious that this point continues to be lost (see Todd Jarret video) by the majority.

Yeah I get your point. I like my Kimber Compact though, and choose to carry it for that reason. I train the way I belive is correct with my carry pistols and when using the right ammo/mag combo I dont have any trouble. That being said I would not take it to a training class as I know its limitations and that they would surely be found and surpassed. I would love to take a class with one of my other favorite carry guns though. My CZ P-01. Im sure it would take anything anyone can throw at it and keep on ticking just fine.

I am not advocating for or against what Rob Pincus says. I just think that any point being made has to be understood correctly before it can be judged fairly. That's all ... Personally, I would be tickled pink to see someone show up with a Detonics Compact and take up Rob on his challenge ... and win.

I agree completely.

Disclosure: I don't know or have ever met Rob Pincus. I own several 1911's and GLOCKS. I am carrying a SA XD45 Tactical at the moment. It's all good.

I too own more than just 1911s. At my heart Im a Sig and CZ guy. My normal carry guns are a Sig P229 in .40, a CZ-P01 9mm, a Glock 19 9mm and last but not least the Kimber in question. A Kimber Compact, it has a commander slide and officer frame. So its not the subcompact but its as small as I care to go in a 1911 platform.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Thanks Hoosier45, you hit the nail on the head! Im just not good enough to complete the thought like you did. :yesway:

Very well put sir!

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    Went through class with my 3" kimber 2 days worth probably 2000 rounds only had 2 fte easily cleared with training. Cleaned gun every night. I don't see what the problem is. I was shooting Aquila 45 factory fresh.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I really see no point in accepting his challenge, anything tortured enough will fail.... Even Glocks, here is proof.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENZioGLjMI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENZioGLjMI[/ame]

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE&feature=relmfu[/ame][/QUOTE]

This guy is past stupid, Glock should ask him to not endorse their product. 15,000 trained :n00b: More like indoctrinated. 15,000 in 15 yrs? thats like 20 a week? Do people pay money to have this guy "train" them?

Top Bottom